collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Share your "Derp" moments...  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Ellis1342

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Doodle or do not doodle! There is no artist block!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Re: Share your "Derp" moments...
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
I think I have to amend my derpiest moment. Not yesterday but the day before I was so excited. Not only had my Uhura pony turned out friggen awesome, but the pony I did for the vacation swap turned out fantastic too! Two in a row, do a happy dance! I was getting ready to send a message saying she was done and then noticed something funny...why did the form from my partner have two hasbro ponies listed? Ookay...went back and re-read the actual theme of the swap and realized I had made a massive mistake. I forgot it was to be a hasbro or ponysona on vacation to these places...I had made a pony inspired by these places *falls over and cries* So now I have to start all over. After stairing at the new bate for...2 hours with no inspiration I managed to get an idea. Now the idea is flowing and all will be well....but STILL!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 12:30:29 AM »
Just finished painting the eyes on Wonder Woman. After letting the paint dry, I put Triple Thick on one eye, then  let that sit for a moment. Last time I did both eyes at once, it started to puddle near the bottom because I used a lot. So I laid her on her side and let it set up.. Then I did the second eye.. Same process..

I was admiring how nice her eyes looked and I grabbed her by the head and set her up on a box... I HAD GRABBED HER EYE!! GAHHH! That nice crystal clear triple thick eye got all smooshed and thumb printed! I added more on top and I am PRAYING she doesn't get a cataract.

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »
well I think my derp moment was more of an ouchie moment.... the very first pony I started working on after a 2 year break from customizing ended up putting me in the ER XD

I was working on cutting the ears off of a pony with an exacto knife, and you know, me being all smart and all I was cutting over my lap while watching TV, well the next thing you know, the knife slips and goes right into my leg. So now I'm all "Gahh! blood!" and I got to make a trip to the emergency room to get a couple stitches XD

who knew customizing ponies could be so dangerous XD

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »
My :muffin: Pony moments have been fewer than I expected, but I always have them.  xD 

My latest one was when I was cutting the head off of a g3 and I cut my hand...wasn't deep or long enough for stitches, but it was not fun at all!  xD 

I painted the eyes unevenly on one of my customs, painted over to fix it, and still made it uneven and non matching!  I finally got it to look ok, but she still has off eyes...now I make sure i don't paint over the eyes and I am careful to keep them unpainted.  =D 

Offline kayveryn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 09:41:02 AM »
lol oh geez, so much empathy for all these derp moments...
while I was painting one of my customs that was fully covered with puzzle pieces, I deviated from my original planned patterned and free handed on the belly cuz I hate working on the underside of a pony and I just got frustrated and impatient... anyway, the puzzle pieces were red,blue,yellow,and green, and I obviously didn't want any of the colors right next to each other, diagonal was okay though. By free handing though, I ended up with a final puzzle piece that couldn't be any color without being right next to itself...it was awful, I was so close to being done and instead I had to go back and acetone a pretty large belly part and mess with the pattern so that it would work. lol
I didn't follow one of the first rules of customizing-- BY PATIENT!!  :P
do one purple piece? then tell people there's a hidden surprise on it...=]

kayveryn

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 10:16:23 AM »
oh, yes, i once thought i could remember the bakingtime too,.. and then i heard a scream from the kitchen: " ANNA! WHAT THE ... ARE YOU BAKING? IT STINKS!"
XD
yes, that was pretty stupit, but i keeped the baby whose head i didn´t bake.
before:

after:

aand about smudged gloss/paint.

i hope everyone who cut themself recovered well! >.<
this is a very interesting thread and it keeps others from doing the same mistake! XD

~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »
@ Emuel  - off topic, I know, but that Grand Champion...did you paint that yourself?  I don't remember one being that pretty of a color!

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »
@ Emuel  - off topic, I know, but that Grand Champion...did you paint that yourself?  I don't remember one being that pretty of a color!
uh, no, i just pepared her for customizing, but newer got further with it. so, it is the original color.
oha, i just hope it wasn´t a rare one now? XD that would be a derp too. ;P
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »
I was finishing up a sculpting project, and I was sanding.  I learned forward to check the smoothness of the area and I wasn't paying attention.  A large chunk of hair got caught in my dremel!  The dremel was against my forehead in a nano second, all kinds of wrapped up in my hair.  It hurt and was so embarassing!  I had to go in the livingroom and explain myself to my long suffering hubby, who helped me extricate myself :P

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »
uh, no, i just pepared her for customizing, but newer got further with it. so, it is the original color.
oha, i just hope it wasn´t a rare one now? XD that would be a derp too. ;P

I don't think she is...do you have more pics of her?  If you do, please pm me!  I want to see them!  =D 

Lavender_Lace

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »
The first time I attempted a merpony I figured I'd put her head in the oven to make sure that it would match the body in case it discolored from the heat at all.  That was all fine and good, except for the fact that I'd already rehaired her with saran and tried to glue it in place with super glue, which got all over, so I put acetone on that to try and clean up the excess.  I thought that had dried, but it hadn't.  I also figured that the oven wouldn't be too hot so I just stuck her in there, hair, superglue, acetone and all.  20 minutes into baking I start smelling this awful burning smell.  I open the oven and her head is smoking.  All the hair had melted, along with melting the plugs so when I tried to pull the melted clump of hair out, all that was left were two open strips where the plugs should have been.  I ended up having to buy another pony and take her head so I could finish the custom.  I still have that melted head kicking around here somewhere.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »
I was finishing up a sculpting project, and I was sanding.  I learned forward to check the smoothness of the area and I wasn't paying attention.  A large chunk of hair got caught in my dremel!  The dremel was against my forehead in a nano second, all kinds of wrapped up in my hair.  It hurt and was so embarassing!  I had to go in the livingroom and explain myself to my long suffering hubby, who helped me extricate myself :P

OMG! This scares me so much about my dremmel! It's amazing you weren't cut or seriously injured.

.... And on a more technical bit.. If you were sanding sculpting on ponies, what bit do you prefer?

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
I have several bits, the large and small drums, an engraving bit, and the fine and heavy grit for each.  I use the dremel to sand down any obvious areas with the heavy grit, carefully.  I the go over it with a lighter grit.  After that, I hand sand it and finish off with an acetone wipe (to clean the area and help smooth out pony plastic.)  Then, I paint a primer layer of thin light colored paint on the sculpted areas to check for uneven spots.  I use the dremel fine grit on the spots, then go over again with hand sanding with sand paper.  Then acetone.

Whew!  No wonder it takes me for friggin ever to finish sculpted stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal