collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Could you resist?  (Read 7136 times)

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Could you resist?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »
I wouldn't be able to handle not opening it. I want to smell that "new pony smell" that I've heard of but never got to experience. The idea of being the first person to ever touch the pony really appeals to me... And I would never get a MIB pony for exactly this reason.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »
I have to open up my ponies, so I resist buying G1 MIB ponies. If I had a G1 MIB/MOC pony I would not open it unless the packaging was really destroyed and might end up ruining the pony.

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »
I'd have to sell it! Not just because of the temptation, but because I wouldn't be able to keep the packaging safe. I am a dangerously clumsy person and plastic can only withstand so much >.>

Anyways, it would be way cool if I could find a G1 pony MIB that doesn't have much value and has a really beat up box, because then I could open it without feeling too awful. It's such a bummer that people older than me get to remember opening their childhood ponies and remember what it's like! I was too young, I only have a memory of playing with them all in the tub. *shame*
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

cesprins

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2012, 09:44:52 AM »
I like the art on the packaging of g1 ponies, so I think they would look nice displayed. So I wouldn't be tempted to open it. I'd rather buy another one of the same pony loose.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2012, 09:48:17 AM »
i wouldn't open it. but if i ever got a g2 still in box..... that might be hard. only cuz i know g2's aren't worth as much, and i LOVE opening things. O_O
but i'd be too scared to open a g1. no matter which pony it was!

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »
I'd only open a MIB G1-G3 if the box is ruined badly. Like large tears or severe discoloration. If it's only a few bad corners or a tiny pen mark, I'd keep it in the box. As for G3.5 or G4, I open them right away, no questions asked.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 09:58:26 AM »
I have a MOC G1 and a MOC set of G2 babies. My goodness, It's really hard to walk by them every day without wanting to free them from the plastic. It helps that I have the G1 loose, though. I'm not sure how much longer the G2 babies will last, unless I can get them loose with their accessories soon. :P

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »
I would have no problem keeping it MIB. I love the toy store feel. Plus, I just can't see devaluing a MOC pony. Something worth about $60 becomes something worth about $10. It's just not worth the loss. If I felt I had to open it I would just sell it and take the money to buy a bunch of loose ponies. ;) 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »
Over the years I have had most store bought US G1s at some point MIB/MOC...I dont open them and can resist but neither do I think we should judge people who want to...once someone purchases a pony its their pony to do as they like with and I personally dont like coming down hard on other collectors for doing what they please with their own property

However, I am going to comment on the argument of selling a MOC/MIB and buying a loose pony. I am a completionist - I collect every pony loose and COMPLETE with all their original items, combs, accessories, ribbons, stickers, etc. Believe it or not sometimes a MIB/MOC item is less expensive and easier to come across than all the little individual items that came with a pony originally....I have MOC/MIBs until I complete them loose and then I sell the MOC/MIB. I have managed this for the majority of my collection but as a recent example I have a MIB Good Weather...I paid £75 for her on ebay about 3 years ago...does anyone out there have a loose and complete set? 1 x minty ponies, all correct accessories and including her ribbon and comb? I would trade the MIB for this...you will see from the lack of people stepping up on this offer, that loose and complete is not as easy as people always say.

I think all I am trying to say is this is always such a touchy subject and everyone has their own opinions on it...and I personally think everyone should be allowed their own thoughts on their own collection...but thats just my opinion!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »
I could totally leave them MIB/MOC.  I'm fine with just being able to look at them.  That's what I'm doing with my G4s. :)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
Yes. If I didn't enjoy having it MIB, I'd sell it or trade it to someone who WOULD, and find that pony loose instead.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Okiedokieloki

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
I'm of the opinion that if you buy it, it's yours and it's your choice to do what you want with it. Is it a good investment to open a MIB pony? No, but collecting isn't just about an investment  :P It's about enjoying what you collect. Though, if you enjoy loose ponies, it would be better to sell an MIB pony to someone who can enjoy having it in their collection.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever deliberately buy an MIB G1, and if I ever do I wouldn't open it unless the card was horribly damaged. I'd be like most people here and sell it to someone who collects MIB so I can buy loose ponies. I've opened all of my G4s, though part of me wants to re-buy them when I can afford it and keep them MIB. I've bought a few MIB G3s and opened those as well. I like being able to touch them and fix up their hair, and I like how they look on display.

ElusiveLily

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »
I'm not sure how finding 2 MIB would make opening something rare more acceptable...I

*shrug* Because many collectors aren't in it for the money, or for the most part, don't care about what something's worth. However, even if you're not in it for the money, people still see the value in something that hasn't been opened. People buy up doubles all the time, so they can open 1 and sell the other. They likely aren't going to sell the one they open. I myself am likely never going to sell my collection, unless my situation is dire. I'm in it purely for the fun and to make up for what I missed in the early 80s.

Over the years I have had most store bought US G1s at some point MIB/MOC...I dont open them and can resist but neither do I think we should judge people who want to...once someone purchases a pony its their pony to do as they like with and I personally dont like coming down hard on other collectors for doing what they please with their own property

Agreed. While I have mixed feelings about it myself, if you know for a fact that you aren't going to sell them, then it really shouldn't matter, unless you just LIKE them in the box. Sure, we can't know for sure what the future might be. You might find yourself behind on bill payments and need to sell some things, but if you're otherwise positive you won't sell, then have it.

Post Merge: April 15, 2012, 01:46:34 PM

That being said, I don't think I'll ever deliberately buy an MIB G1, and if I ever do I wouldn't open it unless the card was horribly damaged. I'd be like most people here and sell it to someone who collects MIB so I can buy loose ponies.

I'd probably do the same thing, and I'd probably have to sell them fast. They wouldn't be safe in my hands for very long. It'd probably just be wise for me to avoid MIB all together. I certainly wouldn't go looking for them on ebay.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:46:34 PM by ElusiveLily »

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
Honestly, I'd probably end up keeping it MOC/MIB for awhile to bask in the idea of owning one - and then sell it to someone who actually collects MOC ponies.  :)

That's what I ended up doing to the MOC g2 twins I owned awhile back.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »
I opened a Nirvana MIB.  Yeah, I did that.  The way I see it, she looked dismal on the card and needed to be liberated!!  FREE THE PONIES;)

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal