collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any other martial artists here?  (Read 4874 times)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Any other martial artists here?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »
My 8-year old takes Okinawan karate twice a week and just earned her yellow belt :D Now we practice kata several times a day.

Hey, Yoshukai is Okinawan!  I bet we have similar katas!  =]

Muay Thai is the discipline at which I'm best. I take four Muay Thai classes a week, and teach on Fridays. After Muay Thai, my proficiencies wane, quickly, but that doesn't stop me from doing Eksrima and Jiu Jitsu twice a week. I'm not very good at either of those. I've tried Pencak Silat, but Silat and I don't get along. I can do very basic Silat, I know the most rudimentary takedowns, but other than that, I don't get it. I'm pretty much all Muay Thai.

I have never tried Muay Thai, but I have seen it, and it looks like fun.  Silat I haven't tried either, or Eskrima, though I have dabbled in Jiu Jitsu.  >.>  Didn't turn out so well.  xD

I havent xD but I REALLY want to get my son into it, hes ADHD and people keep saying how that helps them learn to focus. I'm not really happy with whats offered in my area though, since the hours interfere with his school, and the ones that dont and are specifically designed for young children are not very close. lol

It is SO good for ADHD...both my brothers and I have it, and we have gotten so much more focused...it helps out a lot.  I wish there was a dojo near y'all that would offer it... maybe you could arrange something with a younger black belt or something...surely there is some arrangement that could be made...

It was an Americanized, practical class.  The school was at first called Innovative Martial Arts...Strategies I think.  Most of the instructors were cops, and one competed professionally.  I enjoyed the class a lot and I liked most of the instructors.  (One was a *@)#*()#$*#)-head.)

Sounds like fun, except for the rude one...that is never enjoyable.  >.<

I took 6.5 years of Tae Kwon Do in undergrad and grad school, but grad school got too intense and I had to stop.  I haven't been back since, and it's been 3.5 years now.  I was only a degree or so from black belt, but I also started to have medical problems with my shoulder. *sigh*

I completely understand that one...I have to be careful cause I ruined my knees and back at work, so I have to take it slower, but as long as you do your best, no one can fault you.  I hope you get to go back soon!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »
I know a bit of tie kwan do^^ Havent actively done it since I was a kid, but recently found out I have muscle memory..I guess that never goes away :)

Also had a class in bushido--that was something ill never forget.  One of those times being left handed put me at a disadvantage, but I adapted quick enough ^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
My son and I take Tae Kwon Do (Kukkiwon/World TKD Federation style.) I'm a Purple Belt and he's a Yellow/Orange Stripe Belt. We are having a great time. I want to learn Hapkido next and Wing Chun Kung Fu.

I think it's like riding a bicycle, swimming, or ice skating. If you stop and start again it may take time but you get the hang of it faster!

I'm happy to hear there are other martial artists here!
:biggrin: >_<^.^

NumiTuziNeru

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
Fencing!

......does that count?

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 04:45:59 PM »

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just did my first in 18 years.  Helllo Advil!!  Seriously though, it was fun and since I ordered a uniform with my name on it, I should probably stick with it.  Weird, on the one hand, I outrank every student except the instructor.  On the other, I have 7 forms to remember.  KWIM?
:socks:   :frog:

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »
Nice, Rybett!  I headed up to class tonight and sat there for a bit, then called mom to see what happened and why I was all alone.  Apparently, she went into labor this morning and had little mr Logan at 4 in the afternoon.   =]  I think they should have called him rotten, cause boy is that little one going to be spoiled.   xD

But I did do some stretching and tried to get myself at least warming up some.  So yay for doing a little bit to at least start getting ready. 

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 07:57:07 PM »
Rybett, congrats!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »
My son and I take Tae Kwon Do (Kukkiwon/World TKD Federation style.) I'm a Purple Belt and he's a Yellow/Orange Stripe Belt. We are having a great time. I want to learn Hapkido next and Wing Chun Kung Fu.

I think it's like riding a bicycle, swimming, or ice skating. If you stop and start again it may take time but you get the hang of it faster!

I'm happy to hear there are other martial artists here!

Purple belt....did things change? The order I remember--

white
yellow stripe
yellow belt
green stripe
green belt
blue stripe
blue belt
red stripe
red belt
black stripe
and of corse black belt.

I made it to green belt (almost blue stripe but I couldnt do that flying jump kick properly!) before being all accident prone and breaking my wrist. I think I was 7 or 8.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
I'd like too but there's not really much in my area only thing we seem to have is kickboxing and I think a Judo and a Karate club. Also, to be fair I don't think my parents are very keen on martial arts, more so my dad I think. That and a lack of transport and funds doesn't help. I'd like to try out Kendo for some reason.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:37:41 PM by starrypawz »

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline rybett

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
Melody, it varies with the style.
White
White/yellow stripe
Yellow
Yellow/green stripe
Green
Green/blue stripe
Blue
Blue/brown stripe (me)
Brown
Brown/red stripe
Red
Black
I think there is a black stripe on a "pretested" red belt, one who has pretested for black.  Then told they will test for black at X time.

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
For our dojang, over 16 yrs old
White
Yellow
Orange
Purple <-- Me :)
Green
Blue
Brown
Red
Black

Under 16, (looks like a lot but they can skip at the discretion of the Master)
White
White/Yellow Stripe
White/Orange Stripe
White/Black Stripe
Yellow/White Stripe
Yellow/Orange Stripe <-- DS
Orange
Purple
Green
Green/Black Stripe
Blue
Blue/Black Stripe
Brown
Brown/Black Stripe
Red
Red/Black provisional Black Belt
Black
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:32:26 PM by teresat »

Offline rybett

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
Good point.  Our under 16 black belts have a belt that is black on top, red on the bottom.  A reminder that though they have a black belt, they do not yet have the full adult responsibilities. 

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »
In our style, we don't have purple /jealous.  Ours goes like this:

White
White with yellow stripe
Yellow
Yellow black stripe
Blue
Blue black stripe
Green
Green black stripe
Brown
Brown with black stripe
Black

3 months between each testing, and then six moneths from last brown to black, and for each black belt, you go 2 years til second black, 3 til third, etc. 

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
TexasGal - haha my daughter said, "Mommy, you have a purple belt!" Guess her favorite color!

rybett - Yes very true about young "black" belts. They do eventually go to black even if they are under 16 but they have to do an internship as an assistant instructor for 50 hours.

We also have 3 months between tests except for green belt and between red to black which is at least 6 months for both. I do like that our Master gives out stripes at the end of our belts so we know our progress.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal