collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HTML help anyone? Please?  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Rad

• Radical Rad
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Radical Creations
HTML help anyone? Please?
« on: April 07, 2012, 08:21:24 PM »
So I'm pretty good with basic HTML... But what I want to do is open a new tab and immediately jump to the bottom of the page. I've got 'open in new tab' down fine, but I can't get the new window to scroll to the bottom of the page. I've got tags and the HTML right and stuff... I think... lol. I'm using Bravehost, if that tells you anything... Help anyone? Thanks!
Poo on you Photobucket!

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: HTML help anyone? Please?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:23:54 PM »
I think what you're looking for is called an anchor, I'll see if I can find you a code for it :)

Edit; found a code for anchoring within a page, I'm not sure if this can be adapted to move to a new window with plain HTML or not, you might need to add an extra step:

http://www.echoecho.com/htmllinks08.htm
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:27:09 PM by babystarz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:40:14 AM »
Not a clue! Good luck! I hope babystarz link is useful to you!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »
I'm assuming you're linking to your own page (otherwise I can't edit someone else's page ;) )

On the page you're going TO, you need this code placed where you want it to jump to
Code: [Select]
<a name="bottom"></a>
And the link on the page you're going FROM
Code: [Select]
<a href="newpage.html#bottom" target="_blank">click here</a>

Hope that makes sense :)
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Rad

• Radical Rad
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Radical Creations
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »
Ha, yes, should have mentioned that I was editing multiple of my own pages. I do have an anchor/tag/whatever name you choose on the 'go to section' page, babystarz. And I believe my A HREF= link does look like that, Kiwi, but I will have to double check... If it doesn't look like that, then that's probably my problem. If it does, then I will post what it looks like...

I know I've seen 'open to "section" in new window/tab' link because Kim Shriner's Dream Valley has them when you do searches. Or at least, it did five years ago!

Thanks ladies. :)
Poo on you Photobucket!

Offline Kiwi

• ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »
Hopefully you can get it working. If you have it online already, I'd be happy to take a direct look for you :)

It's the "#bottom" part at the end of the HREF link that is the important part, that tells it to go to the anchor with the same name (in this case, "bottom").

Offline Rad

• Radical Rad
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Radical Creations
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »

Ok, now I know that there is some random 'junk' in the bottom one... I copied/pasted some saved information from a MS Word and the HTML interpreted a bunch of stuff... But I think my HTML coding is right... But when I click the top link to open in a new tab and jump to the bottom with the second link, it only opens the correct page in a new tab, but it doesn't jump to the bottom of the page.

Can anyone see what I did wrong?

Poo on you Photobucket!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:39:09 PM »
Can you paste all your code in a txt file and upload it somewhere? Or let us see the live version?
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Kiwi

• ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »
Hmmm, odd, it looks right from the bits that I see.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 10:16:49 PM »
Are you using CSS at all? I'm studying HTML and CSS as part of my Graphic Design major. However it is very hard for me to judge anything without seeing the whole shebang. Sometimes a tiny typo can make a big issue.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:20:05 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Rad

• Radical Rad
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Radical Creations
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 05:27:50 AM »
Are you using CSS at all? I'm studying HTML and CSS as part of my Graphic Design major. However it is very hard for me to judge anything without seeing the whole shebang. Sometimes a tiny typo can make a big issue.

I have no idea if its CSS... I just know that its HTML.

I'm wondering if maybe my webhost, Bravehost.com, just doesn't allow this type of HTML. Hm.
Poo on you Photobucket!

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 07:41:46 AM »
There are inline styles going on here within your tags. Anywhere you see the word "style" in a tag and some information following, that's CSS. :)

There are a couple of minor issues with your markup. Different browsers process code in their own ways, so the "extra stuff" you're seeing might not come up for everybody else!

Markup of any kind can be incredibly finicky! Make sure that the _blank part of your first tag has quotes around it.

<div>
I absolutely LOVE what <a href="http://aerikas-ae-escaflowne.bravehost.com/anti.htm#puffy" target="_blank">Aeika S has done with this particular image< /a >.

There's an &nbsp; there that I'd wager is not necessary. Feel free to clean that up.

There's a <div> tag at the beginning of all of this. It needs to close somewhere-- Make sure it has a </div> to go with it somewhere down the line. You may just be able to remove all the <div> and </div> tags altogether. If there's no external CSS file that this is all talking to, chances are that those div containers aren't doing anything in particular.

As others have said, access to the work in progress or the full code for the page will help us help you! :) Also, whenever you see a <p> tag, that needs to close somewhere with a </p> as well.

Are you using Word to generate some of your markup, or were you trying to use it to write the raw HTML? If you're writing raw HTML, use Notepad instead... It won't throw that extra stuff in. If you're using Word as a "WISYWIG" deal and exporting HTML from there... Well, er...

... Word isn't exactly good at this. It's messy, and it doesn't always know what it's doing ;) I'd suggest trying to get a demo of DreamWeaver or something of that effect, because it's made to help you make web pages. :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:43:51 AM by Bergamot »

Offline Rad

• Radical Rad
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Radical Creations
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
Bergamot: Haha, I'm not good enough with HTML to be writing it anywhere and copy/pasting it into my webhost! :-P If there are <p> and <div> tags, Bravehost's process put them in and I'm pretty sure there are </> to go along with them.

I'll try to post the entire HTML... I'm not sure how to go about that.

What I meant with the MS Word statement is that I had a long paragraph of writing text, not HTML, saved as a Word document and I c/p that into the Bravehost window and Bravehost translated random junk like "Times New Roman font" and what font size the text document was in. I don't write my own HTML via the computer and then upload it; I work within Bravehost's editing window. I might write a very teeny about of HTML, like opening in a new tab, but I usually don't write my own HTML. I just know how to dip my toes in the ocean.

I'm more than willing to give someone my name and password and they can poke around in the live editing window.

ETA: Well, I was going to say that I think the "&nbsp" is fine, I've seen that all the time... However, I deleted that and poof! The link works perfectly! I have no idea why that "&nbsp" was fuddling things up, but the link works now!

Thanks everyone! I'll remember this in the future...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:59:29 AM by Rad »
Poo on you Photobucket!

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »
Gotcha! :)

It would be tough to post your code here, because the forms like to convert HTML to UBB code. Bravehost must put your site live at a URL somewhere? It's been ages since I've worked with a service like this, but your site must be somewhere on the Internet! If you can provide a link to that, we'll be able to take a look at the source code from there!

Offline Rad

• Radical Rad
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Radical Creations
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
After deleting the "&nbsp", the link now works perfectly. But if you still do want to see the webpages, here they are.

The "starting here, click this link" page: Page #1. The link is at the bottom. "I absolutely love what Aerika S..."

The "link brought me here, at the bottom of the page" second page: Page #2. Anchor/tag is "puffy," in reference to the puffy sleeves.
Poo on you Photobucket!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal