collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: For the feathers that were ruffled yesterday RE: EQD April Fools  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: For the feathers that were ruffled yesterday RE: EQD April Fools
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »
Being young is absolutely no excuse for anyone to be a donkey-butt. (Anywhere. In RL, or online. In the fandom, outside it.)   Thumbs up for the apology.  Sadly, for a show that is supposed to emphasize Friendship, it sure does attract a lot of unfriendly folk. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
... it isn't an "innocent joke" when its trashing people's personal pages and ripping on people's art who were dragged into it unknowingly by the whims of others ...

and "Please cut it back?" how about "Knock it off!" ... i mean i'm glad someone is at least attempting to apologize, but far too little, way too late in my book ... i'm all for them having their own little "g4 only schtick", just leave everyone else alone ...

He never asked anyone to attack artist pages, including source links for all art and customs when known is the policy on the site so the artists can be found by people who like the work.

If he had come down on the few people who did the attacks, it would have resulted in more attacks out of spite.  He's dealing with rebellious teens, it takes careful wording sometimes to calm things.  He's just trying to apologize and stop any future trouble in the only way possible.

Personally, I think the whole "us vs. them" stuff is childish on both sides and should stop.  It's why I stopped visiting here a while back, the constant hate toward the current generation and its fans was rather upsetting to me.

I think the difference between g4-only fan's "hate" toward us and g1-4 "hate" toward them is that they genuinely dislike the things we like/create, while we just dislike the fact that they dislike us (and drag us into their community with posts like yesterday, obviously).

The thing yesterday upset me not because they thought it was funny to use old ponies (the MLP subreddit did that too, and it was very tasteful and respectful), but because they dragged older artists and individuals into the conflict and proceeded to bash on them. It became individual; instead of hating on g1 ponies, they hated on g1 artists.

I hope you understand that, but I think you will. The bronies here seem so calm and respectful. I think we just hear the vocal minority at EqD, unfortunately.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
Well that was nice of him to apologize.

I don't think just saying "kids will be kids" is really an acceptable answer. Kids will be adults one day, and they should know that that kind of behavior isn't OK. Especially in they're teens or young adults. This may be the internet, but still, we're talking about how people treat each other.

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »
Being young is absolutely no excuse for anyone to be a donkey-butt. (Anywhere. In RL, or online. In the fandom, outside it.)   Thumbs up for the apology.  Sadly, for a show that is supposed to emphasize Friendship, it sure does attract a lot of unfriendly folk. 

No I totally agree, and I'm glad they apologized, but it still makes me feel less hurt knowing that they probably are all angsty and stuff. Like I said, I was a teenager very recently and I totally know that it's a weird time. Not an excuse, but a salve for my pain :P

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 05:22:04 PM »
I think posting an apology was a very honorable thing to do.  Seth was actually light on his teasing and insults compared to some of those other loses who couldn't take a joke. 

I'll give them some credit though; I think some of the Bronies did learn to respect the older gens that day.  Not many, but some.  And I didn't say they liked them either; I said "respect."

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
I appreciate the apology. Thanks for sharing it.

And I would prefer NOT to have to lock this thread due to another heated argument. Please keep it calm and collected in here and remember the old saying "if you can't say anything nice - exit the thread." Thank you.

Lol are you sure that's how it goes? :hug:

Like I said, I was very hurt by what happened yesterday, and I still am upset. I'm not saying that the kids will be kids thing makes it better or excuses it, I'm just saying that it makes ME feel better knowing that they're not the mature adults I was imagining them as yesterday :)

edit: "Mature adults" sounds harsh. I just want to re-emphasize that I understand they're kids and I don't mean to insult them by saying that they are :)

Post Merge: April 02, 2012, 05:24:13 PM

I'll give them some credit though; I think some of the Bronies did learn to respect the older gens that day.  Not many, but some.  And I didn't say they liked them either; I said "respect."

I think that's all that we (me for sure!!) want around here :D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:26:00 PM by okapishomapi »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 05:24:32 PM »

I don't think just saying "kids will be kids" is really an acceptable answer. Kids will be adults one day, and they should know that that kind of behavior isn't OK. Especially in they're teens or young adults. This may be the internet, but still, we're talking about how people treat each other.

I'll interject one more time to point out something about my post: I said that kids will be kids, no matter what their actual age. Someone can act like a child whether they're seven, seventeen or seventy. The basic message is that when people are immature, it's best to rise above it and not sink to their level and call names, or let it bother you too much.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
OK, I see what you're saying

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
sorry guys, i'm still just cheesed that with that stuff yesterday it's put a lot of people off displaying their amazing work ... and okay, yeah while linking is good for people who like the work, providing links for a trick like that ... maybe not so much ... i know a lot of artists were hit by the trolls there and it irks me ... because now i'm being associated with them because i like ponies ... i posted NOTHING yesterday at a few art places and i was banned because i have a picture of :muffin: Pony, a g4, and i was lumped in with the trolls because of it ...

... taking the flak for something i have no tolerance for ... not cool ... having ponies become symbols for mean  spirited people ... REALLY not cool in my book ...

i will back out of here
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »
Not trying to turn this into an us against them, but I do not understand why everyone can't treat each other with a bit of respect.

Because, from what I've heard, a lot of the brony crowd and all of that started in some other site. I doubt those people even have the words 'respect' or 'tolerance' in their vocabulary.

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »

I'll interject one more time to point out something about my post: I said that kids will be kids, no matter what their actual age. Someone can act like a child whether they're seven, seventeen or seventy. The basic message is that when people are immature, it's best to rise above it and not sink to their level and call names, or let it bother you too much.

Went back and re-read it - sorry for misquoting you. But you still made me think about them in a different way and I appreciate that.

It's just really hard for me to get over this very personal, extremely unnecessary name-calling and general b*tchery. Someone was doing this to me in WoW today and it about made me cry. Needless meanie-butts just really bother me for some reason :shrug:

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 05:28:52 PM »
Its nice and everything...but i remain sceptical of his sincerity.
I find it hard to believe that he didn't realize posting those custom ponies would end up in people just mocking them. And he was snarky towards old gen ponies long before this. We will see what happends i guess. But this is at least something.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »
Because, from what I've heard, a lot of the brony crowd and all of that started in some other site. I doubt those people even have the words 'respect' or 'tolerance' in their vocabulary.

Quoting for truth. I know this because that's how I initially discovered ponies as well.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 05:29:32 PM »
sorry guys, i'm still just cheesed that with that stuff yesterday it's put a lot of people off displaying their amazing work ... and okay, yeah while linking is good for people who like the work, providing links for a trick like that ... maybe not so much ... i know a lot of artists were hit by the trolls there and it irks me ... because now i'm being associated with them because i like ponies ... i posted NOTHING yesterday at a few art places and i was banned because i have a picture of :muffin: Pony, a g4, and i was lumped in with the trolls because of it ...

... taking the flak for something i have no tolerance for ... not cool ... having ponies become symbols for mean  spirited people ... REALLY not cool in my book ...

i will back out of here

You were banned yesterday for having a pony in your avatar?! That's....really embarrassing. Sorry that happened :( :hug:

arcanescroll

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
... it isn't an "innocent joke" when its trashing people's personal pages and ripping on people's art who were dragged into it unknowingly by the whims of others ...

and "Please cut it back?" how about "Knock it off!" ... i mean i'm glad someone is at least attempting to apologize, but far too little, way too late in my book ... i'm all for them having their own little "g4 only schtick", just leave everyone else alone ...

He never asked anyone to attack artist pages, including source links for all art and customs when known is the policy on the site so the artists can be found by people who like the work.

If he had come down on the few people who did the attacks, it would have resulted in more attacks out of spite.  He's dealing with rebellious teens, it takes careful wording sometimes to calm things.  He's just trying to apologize and stop any future trouble in the only way possible.

Personally, I think the whole "us vs. them" stuff is childish on both sides and should stop.  It's why I stopped visiting here a while back, the constant hate toward the current generation and its fans was rather upsetting to me.

I think the difference between g4-only fan's "hate" toward us and g1-4 "hate" toward them is that they genuinely dislike the things we like/create, while we just dislike the fact that they dislike us (and drag us into their community with posts like yesterday, obviously).

The thing yesterday upset me not because they thought it was funny to use old ponies (the MLP subreddit did that too, and it was very tasteful and respectful), but because they dragged older artists and individuals into the conflict and proceeded to bash on them. It became individual; instead of hating on g1 ponies, they hated on g1 artists.

I hope you understand that, but I think you will. The bronies here seem so calm and respectful. I think we just hear the vocal minority at EqD, unfortunately.

You seem to be under the impression that everyone on EqD hates the older generation.  This is very untrue and I hope you will realize that someday.

EqD has a large number of people who do love the other generations and there is an even larger group that doesn't care for the older generations but is respectful enough not to insult people that are fans, sadly it's the small group of people who spout hate about everything they dislike that get all the attention which is exactly what they want.  There are hateful people there, a small minority, and there are hateful people here, a small minority, that will just hate something just because it is different.  There will always be rude people, both in real life and online, there is no getting around that, but trying to force an us vs. them fight benefits nobody and just leads to hurt feelings.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal