collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Phoenix Firefly & Zora from Legend of Zelda series  (Read 623 times)

mana-maiden

• Trade Count: (0)
Phoenix Firefly & Zora from Legend of Zelda series
« on: April 01, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »
I'll start this update off with a private trade I did with a close deviantArt friend. This friend and I also traded back in 2007-2008 during my beginner days, and I told her that if we are to trade now's the time to do it since we got our tax return, otherwise I don't enter trade transactions because I found out really quick during my beginner days that shipping costs and other costs that aren't covered, eat up my funds and I end up not being able to ship anything or have to wait too long before I'm able to ship, so I responsibly decline trade transactions on a regular basis... I'm just not okay with entering a transaction I'm not 100% sure I could follow through with.

That, and half the time other people wouldn't complete their ends of trades... so why waste my money.

Anyways. First trade we did, I was to make my rendition of her character Phoenix.
Phoenix_pony_trade_by_Mana_Maiden.jpg

So this time, I took the same Phoenix concept, but spliced it with this person's favorite generation 1 mlp: Firefly.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This custom is something special; it ended up only taking me 2-3 hours to make because I didn't do an actual re-hair process, OR hand-sew anything... it's literally all just paint and feathers with a minimal amount of sculpting for the hole where the aluminum flashing lightning bolts I crafted are mounted into the sculpting. I then painted a fire cloud of which the lightning bolts are coming out of.

The mane and tail are experimental. I wanted to try my hand at fashioning feathers to see how I could work them as hair. Not bad for a first try, but something to definitely evolve.

Paints are all acrylics, pony base is a generation 3 pink pegasus that had a 3-D symbol of a purple starfish of which I carved out, leaving a hole for me to create a 3-D symbol for Phoenix Firefly.

And now, for the Zora from Zelda:

Request was to be of a Zora from The Legend of Zelda, in the generation 1 Sweet Heart Sister pose, and to be a kind of hybrid between the Queen from Twilight Princess, and the regular blue zoras from Ocarina of Time.

I kept the colors and layered textiles in mind, and went all out from there.

Full body repaint in a custom blend of light gray acrylics I made.
Eyes are layered in blues, purples, grays and white. The top of the head I started with a olive green then layered medium teal over and blended the edges with light aqua.

Mane is re-rooted in authentic Hasbro mlp doll hair in the colors of atomic turquoise and bobby blue.
Electric banana was used for bangs at the sides, then mint ice curled dolly hair as well; only I straightened it out then used my hair gel method to make looser curls.

End result makes me feel that the shape of the head resembles the shape of the original Zoras from the first NES/SNES Zelda games, which makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Tail is a blend of waternixie and electric banana.

Textiles have a bottom layer of a shimmery white webbed fabric. Next layer is a sheer neon yellow kerchief, then a layer of pale green with white lace, then two pleated layers of white faux patent vinyl leather which resembles scales or fins. Then a layer of a neutral greenish blue material.

Top hemmed with two strips of white cording that I sewed together, then sewed on to a neutral greenish blue maxi piping.
Detailed in a irredescent ribbon, blue pearls, and green rhinestones.

Used a netted scarf material for the torso section, that is also repeated in the hair. Torso section detailed in a pale gray-blue chain that extends back to the tail section of the pony, and the irredescent ribbon along the neck. Blue ribbon fins are at the shoulders with metal pieces and white pearls inside.

Other leg has a pale gray leather strip detailed in white chain and pearls.

Started the hair deco off with a white chain, then made 3 strands of beads on wire and pinned them amongst the scalp. Beads are all sea-themed, in shells and sea horses.

Back side of the pony is detailed in aqua "splash"-shapes, with hand-painted blue aqua rhinestones.

This item is reserved until June 1st 2012.

Offline Applejax

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Firefly & Zora from Legend of Zelda series
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
Wow, You are very creative and talented!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:23:30 PM by Applejax »

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »
I'm IN LOVE with these two. They're some of my favorite customs you've done. They're just so FREAKING gorgeous!!!

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:18:11 PM »
What a cool take on the Zoras!

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Scraleos

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »
The Zora poni is my favourite! It's beautiful, and Zora's are my favourite race in Zelda.

Trade | Wanted | Pony Plushies

MrsDavis

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
Those are AMAZING! :dropjaw:

I love the designs and the use of all those different medias. It creates gorgeous textures and dimension to the pieces. The colors on both are fantastic and blend wonderfully.

The feathers on the phoenix are just so cool, and really make me want to try working with some feathers myself, lol. Great choice of colors, too. I also really love all the details in each ponies hair, with the beads and other accents. Such attention to detail!

Stunning work! :worshippy:

Offline Izrabeth

• Mrs Johnny Depp
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »
They are so gorgeous, love love love Firefly, she's extremely cool, love her colors, the feathers, love everything of her!  :heart:

mana-maiden

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »
Thanks  :lovey:

Offline jwalraven

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jwal's DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
These are so awesome! I need to put in my order for Ghirahim.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »
They look awesome!  I love the variety of textures and patterns, all of the details are thought out and really play well on each other.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal