collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I find this a bit offensive..  (Read 10676 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I find this a bit offensive..
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »
Lancer, yes, that's exactly my thoughts too, especially that last part about justifying hateful behavior.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »
"Hey kids, want to be a cool Posey on Equestria Daily?  Just remember, previous generations only exist to be ridiculed.  The mere thought of those ugly things being on our site is hilarious!  Only crazy old women collect the hippo flowers which were (*Gasp*) aimed at 5-year-old girls!" (FiM is a show for grown-ups, of course, as any sane Posey will tell you :P )

Yeah, that is pretty much the way the whole "joke" reads to me, too. As someone said on an earlier page, I also think it ties right into the same old gender issues where "girly is just so yucky and bad" . . . The OPPOSITE of the actual message Lauren Faust was trying to get out with FIM.

People insulting G1 / G3 customs is what really goes a million miles over the line, though, because now it's not just about vague concepts like "this generation" or "that generation", now it's specifically insulting individual fans' work.  NOT OKAY.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zest

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
Wow :( I have to admit I'm insanely disappointed in the EQD community...
The lessons of "friendship and acceptance" only go so far as G4s.

Okay, no, I really am angry!!  :enraged:  ETA: well, it seems the "bad" comments have simmered down, but still, what an unfortunate thing. :yikes:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:28:20 PM by Zest »
* ~ * ~ * Looking for: TAF Yum Yum and Buttons and Spanish Piggies! * ~ * ~ *

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2012, 01:31:21 PM »
I don't see why alot of bronies hate the old generations, I am a brony and I love all of the generations!
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
Although it is in poor taste I don't think we should try and single out EqD or bronies who think like this.
I think it is fine to like any gen you want to, but you shouldn't 'hate' on the older gens even if they are not you tastes. Love and tolerate, yeah?

Personally I actually started out as one of the bronies that didn't care for the older gens, but as time went on I decided to give it a try and I loved it!

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »
I think this blog post is an opening to a good dialogue about respect for differences, as long as we respond earnestly but not brashly. I commented on it and I'm getting some interesting replies. It seems like the majority of the bronies are rather appalled by the negative comments too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2012, 01:58:12 PM »
Eh. I think it's a little ironic for them to hate on older gens since they get so mad about people who don't understand why they like FiM, but that's aimed at the bronies leaving rude comments more than Equestria Daily itself. I think it's a pretty funny joke for a FiM only blog and wasn't presented in a malicious way.

I do kinda wish they had showed better customs of the older gens for the custom compilation because there are some true gems that even the most elitist brony could appreciate, but it WAS supposed to be an April Fools joke, so that probably would have defeated the purpose and I'd also rather not have people who don't know the value of G1s get inspired to customize them.

I also don't really blame the bronies for not liking older gens because their original interest in MLP came from the show rather than the toys. The shows for G3 and G3.5 were AWFUL in my opinion and since most bronies are young that's probably the only MLP they know, but even if they were familiar with the G1 shows, those shows really were aimed at kids, we enjoy them now mainly because of the nostalgia factor.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:05:03 PM by WickedWonderland »

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2012, 02:02:46 PM »
i started out by liking only g4, then i found the g3's and wanted to collect them more. (the g4's were very small in my opinion. i wanted more pony for my money! lol) then i got some g3's and then i told myself (eww no g1's) but, I LOVE THEM TOO!!!! i love all ponies equally... except baby so soft cheerilee... eeesshhh.... >.<
i watched the g1 show also, and i LOVE IT. i couldn't believe it was so good. i think for a lot of "br.onies" its just a trend to them. i'm sure there's a huge mass of them that won't even like them anymore when the next big thing comes out. its like when everyone loved those silly bandz, and when all boys were wearing pink shirts that said "tough guys wear pink" its just a phase for a lot of them.

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »
Younger male generations (lol), can be afraid of being associated former MLP generations because they would be even less "cool" to like. End of. 

Offline amenoo

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
What is "younger" bronies?

Around what age is that?

Adoptable made by me

DJ Midli

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
What is "younger" bronies?

Around what age is that?

age wise its either 10-16 or under 18, its generally used to refer to the more immature teen bronies.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »
I'm not happy with this joke either. I am tired of browsing youtube and facebook and seeing certain bronies attack older generations for no real reason. Since Sethisto is pretty much the "big brony leader" i fear more people copying his behaviour. EQD really has become more than just a blog. Hasbro probably checks that place more often than any of the collector communities these days.

I understand bronies not liking every generation. I mean, not every collector likes every generation...but that never was a big deal. We all got along. So why is it such a huge deal to bronies who also like to use the words "love and tolerance"? It's a pity really.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »
Honestly, guys, are we surprised?  We all know that there is a portion of the brony fanbase that are rude, intolerant, trolls.  It's my understanding that this portion is actually pretty small, but loud.  There is a reason that I have NEVER visited EqD or any of the other brony sites.  It's so I can avoid all of this nonsense.

The pony community has grown like crazy since FiM was released and the dust is still settling from that.  A lot of bronies have found their way to the Arena and the jerks didn't stick around (or were banned).  I understand the tension, but remember that the bronies here are the nice ones and ranting about them isn't going to do a lick of good.  Almost all of our brony vs. collector drama is pulled in from other sites.

Also remember that the nasty ones are mostly teenage boys, so it's not shocking that they're being so loud and obnoxious.  It's what teenage boys do.  :silly:  (ok, not all teenage boys, but you know what I mean)

In the meantime, we just have to remember that not everyone likes every gen.  I can't stand 3.5 (the toys or the cartoon).  I don't mind if other people like it, they're just not my style.  We're used to the friendly atmosphere of the Arena, most places on the internet don't have that kind of tolerance.  Let them talk smack, because we all know that once ponies stop being cool again, a lot of the bronies will move on.  The ones who stay are welcome, because that's when we'll know who the real pony fans are.

"Hey kids, want to be a cool Posey on Equestria Daily?  Just remember, previous generations only exist to be ridiculed.  The mere thought of those ugly things being on our site is hilarious!  Only crazy old women collect the hippo flowers which were (*Gasp*) aimed at 5-year-old girls!" (FiM is a show for grown-ups, of course, as any sane Posey will tell you :P )

I read this as sarcasm, actually.  It's too ridiculous to be serious.  It's still poor taste, though.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2012, 02:53:09 PM »
I feel like it went too far now. Sethisto didn't make the rude comments (custom post, that is). So far the worst has been in the comments. But I've noticed that the hateful comments have all been down voted and responded to. Seems like most responses are telling the haters to back off. And the posts defending the other gens are positively rated and have many supportive responses. I guess the only thing to say is not to let the few people who are taking it waaayyyy too seriously over there get to us!
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

DJ Midli

« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
I'm not happy with this joke either. I am tired of browsing youtube and facebook and seeing certain bronies attack older generations for no real reason. Since Sethisto is pretty much the "big brony leader" i fear more people copying his behaviour. EQD really has become more than just a blog. Hasbro probably checks that place more often than any of the collector communities these days.

I understand bronies not liking every generation. I mean, not every collector likes every generation...but that never was a big deal. We all got along. So why is it such a huge deal to bronies who also like to use the words "love and tolerance"? It's a pity really.

Seth actually disagrees with the harsh comments in the replies that are going on, he might be making a post about it in the wrapup post as a matter of fact :).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal