collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Thread Number 1 Too Many.  (Read 101773 times)

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Thread Number 1 Too Many.
« Reply #765 on: May 02, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »
I'm utterly depressed now. I think my Rochelle is starting to get that glue seepage problem. It might just be psychosomatic, but I dunno...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #766 on: May 02, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
I haven't noticed any of that on my dolls yet.. I was only brave enough to take on washing ones hair though and I still can't get it to look right so I'm done playing hair dresser with MH doll hair for now. What does the glue look like??
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 02, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
I dunno right now. Apparently it just makes the dolls hair really sticky. It seeps out after a few months, but a few people are saying their Rochelles are already doing it.

And apparently when it gets really bad it starts discoloring the hair. And it doesn't come out, not even with Goo Off or soap or anything. It just makes it worse if you wash it.

These happen in the dolls made in Indonesia, so apparently the only safe dolls are those from the Dead Tire d and Skull Shores lines?

Offline PonySeeker128

• View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #768 on: May 02, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
Really? That's horrible. I wonder what makes the glue start seeping.. does it happen even if you don't wash their hair or do any boil perming?
Wishlist (MH)

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 02, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »
Nope, apparently it just happens. It's the type of glue. The person I heard about it from lives in Colorado, so obviously humidity isn't the problem either.

Offline Princess_Luvlee

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 02, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
What is this about glue?  Seepage?
Should I continue to select dolls based on how good their hair looks with the glue in?
Do I need to wash it out?! What do I use?
Not wash it out?!
I hope it's not wash it, cuz I love my dolls as they are.

Offline PonySeeker128

• View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #771 on: May 02, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
How weird! Well I guess I'm going to have to keep an eye on my poor dollies! I hope your Rochelle is ok, that would be such a bummer if that happened to her.
Wishlist (MH)

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 02, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »
Should I continue to select dolls based on how good their hair looks with the glue in?
Not wash it out?!

Check the lower back. Any doll from Indonesia can be prone to this. Apparently it does not wash out. If you wash their hair it'll make it worse quicker. It'll eventually get worse too from what I heard. Some dolls apparently get the problem right out of the box, while others won't do it for months.

This is the original post of a girl who has tons of dolls with the problem:
http://akkismos.tumblr.com/post/22276103860/since-people-seem-to-be-noticing-and-finally

Offline Princess_Luvlee

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 02, 2012, 07:22:58 PM »
Not wash it out?!

Check the lower back. Any doll from Indonesia can be prone to this. Apparently it does not wash out. If you wash their hair it'll make it worse quicker. It'll eventually get worse too from what I heard. Some dolls apparently get the problem right out of the box, while others won't do it for months.

This is the original post of a girl who has tons of dolls with the problem:
http://akkismos.tumblr.com/post/22276103860/since-people-seem-to-be-noticing-and-finally

Thank you for linking <3

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 02, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »
Just jumped out of bed to check my ghouls! They're okay! Gonna have to keep an eye out. This is scary stuff.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 02, 2012, 07:44:59 PM »
When it comes to the issue of the glue leeching out of their heads, I've used a plastic-safe de-greasing product called "Goof Off 2" (it's not the same as regular Goof Off) to successfully get the stickiness out. My first wave Cleo and Clawdeen that I purchased in 2010 were getting really bad just recently and it completely restored their hair, at least for now.

I have it in a spray bottle and get the nozzle really close to their scalp, spray it in, rub it with my fingernails, wash it with warm water, and repeat until I notice the texture breaking up. After, I wash their hair with a sulfate-free conditioner (just because it won't leave a buildup), let it air-dry or blow-dry it on a cool setting, and the dolls seem fine after. I don't know if the chemicals would harm the face paint, so I've been mindful of not putting the product in direct contact with it, although I can note that it hasn't budged the paint used to color their scalp.

On my dolls, it looked like they were wearing "wet look" hair gel near the base of their plugs and the texture felt syrupy. As the blogger noted, it was also impossible to comb through and made their hair look limp and greasy. I was really upset once I noticed it, and washing their hair by normal means did seem to make the problem worse (it literally wicked down the plugs), but after using Goof Off 2, I can say that the outer symptoms are gone.  Their hair is nice and fluffy-soft again. I'm sure it's not a permanent solution to the problem, but at least it takes off the surface glue. For me, it's preferable to the alternative of having to re-hair about 90% of my collection somewhere down the line.

I'm glad I had some of it lying around (I should probably thank my niece from when she went through her "stickers go on the furniture" phase) I was so close to rage quitting this hobby out of frustration, lol. As it is, I'm still in the process of putting together a complaint to send to Mattel. If this becomes a widespread problem I could see it putting a lot of people off to these dolls.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:45:32 PM by Mandy85 »

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 02, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
Mine are still in their boxes!!! visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 *Wants to check but can't* Nooo the integrity of the box!! >,<;

How can you check if your dolls were made in Indonesia or China??? *Inspects her boxes* Only my Spectra, Ghoulia and School's out Lagoona were made in China.

This is bad. To me, we're already paying $20 for these dolls but they're dolls that are all defective!! (if you consider/categorize this as a defect) Imagine those that had to pay $50+ and the dolls are all defective and won't even last a month, since Rochelle was already released and already showing signs of defects!!
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Okiedokieloki

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #777 on: May 02, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »
Ugh, seriously? A lot of these dolls are $20, and this is the kind of quality that Mattel is shipping? Bad enough for the adult collectors who can figure out remedies to fix the problem, but what about the little girls who have these dolls? Disappointing  :mad:

I'll still be buying MH dolls, but I'll be putting in a complaint when I see this happening to mine.

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #778 on: May 02, 2012, 11:40:35 PM »
Interesting about the glue. none of my dolls seem to have this issue YET .

I asked my BF  (my knower of all)  about it. He said perhaps  the used an epoxy to coat the dolls hair ( although not sure why they would use it  instead of regular glue which is cheaper) an maybe the epoxy was not mixed correctly in some batches. This would cause  it  not to cure correctly ,  and   the uncured epoxy could then be wicked up through the hair due to temp changes, environment etc. .

there is not much that could be done if this is the problem, except   possibly what mandy85 suggested which might only fix it temporarily, It would need to be repeated , until all the  uncured epoxy leaches out of the dolls head.

I may try popping off one of my dolls heads to further verify  weather or not they do use a sort of epoxy. BF said he could tell by looking at the  glue they use.
 If any one has any pics of glue pulled from MH heads  they can share , then maybe i don't have to behead  gloombeach DL LOL

also- i'd like to say, it is also bad if they are using an epoxy and it is leaching out and young kids are putting dolls in there mouths or  getting it on there hands and then eating etc.   seems like, mattel would know better than to use  an adhesive that  could be toxic.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:43:05 PM by mistic_imp »

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #779 on: May 03, 2012, 12:02:06 AM »
I can't quite remember when I got her...early 2011 though I think and second hand - I think my original Frankie came like that. Her hair was always sort of dingy and sticky close to the scalp compared to my sister's (who got hers in 2010 right when they released) I lived with but awhile back I did boil treat her hair to get out her pony-bump crease (which is still there x.x) and try and get rid of the stickiness - it didn't help of course. Not sure if it made it worse or not, she's still rather dingy and if it weren't for the fact that she's a first issue with the straight pegs (at least i'm pretty sure), I'd have rerooted her ages ago.

Then there's Lagoona, whom I got in summer 2010 - aside from her usual problems, she never had sticky scalp syndrome. I boil straightened her hair once and it stayed that way for awhile, and there wasn't any sticky scalp when I began rolling her hair for her current hairstyle, but very recently I began to notice the discoloration and the stickiness. It's about half an inch along her plugs :\ very disappoint. Once again, I dread trying to reroot because of how old she is.

The only other one I've noticed it with so far is my original Draculaura (purchased at same time from same person as frankie) hers didn't appear until I tried to boil out her pigtail bumps. Even then I didn't notice them until I dehaired her (i was generally unhappy with her hair and she needs a new hairstyle but i pink i got for her is the same shade as her body and looked very odd o_O)

So, in an effort to save Frankie and Lagoona I may try to find of this goof off 2 stuff, especially Lagoona because it's really a drastic change for her whereas Frankie has always been sticky and dingy

@mystic_imp - that actually makes sense. I don't have pictures, but I have noticed in dehairing, some parts of the glue are harder than others, some gooey while some is rock hard. But mostly at lot of is still a waxy texture.

Kinda bummed about the whole thing, because I modified once of my Jacksons and couldn't use boiling water to set his hair  in an effort to avoid exacerbating the glue problems he's prone to (luckily my original one from last summer isn't suffering) and the hairgel I have is cheap and won't hold his new hair down good, hopefully he won't end up with a blue mane sticking out everywhere x.X

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal