collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: gauging interest- TRUE newbie swap  (Read 1886 times)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: gauging interest- TRUE newbie swap
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
there must be some way to aid groups of newer people without feedback who are having trouble or who are too timid to find swaps on their own.

Newbies purchase, sell, and trade to build up feedback so they can get into swaps. They don't use swaps to build feedback.  Swaps are difficult to run and difficult to fix when someone flakes. I speak from experience. It's not unreasonable for proof of someone's reliability to be required before letting them join. I suggest, private trades. If someone is too afraid to ask someone else for a trade, they can makes a thread asking if anyone would like to trade with them and get volunteers. I don't think I've ever approach anyone on a personal level for a trade, I just make a thread. If I can do it, anyone can.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »
I am sorry to sound rude, but I agree with NoDi. If you want feedback you should do what the rest of us had to do and build it up through trades, buying, anything like that. Honestly, if you post a thread in the forums I guarantee someone will be willing to trade with you. In fact I would be more than happy to trade with someone if they wante. :) I want to help out fellow members any way I can.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kanthaka

• Trade Count: (+342)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • Crafting Instagram
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »
As has already been said, usually feedback is built up through buying, selling, or private trades.  The feedback system is in place to show that an Arena member is trustworthy and can be counted on to hold up their end of a deal, whether or not it's a swap.  Swaps get complicated.  The person running the swap has to scramble to make customs if participants go missing and, without any feedback requirements, it's too easy for things to get messy.

Private one-on-one swaps are a fantastic way to get started.  Buy, sell, and trade to gather more feedback.  Show the community that you're committed to fulfilling your obligations.  :)

Your heart's in the right place, TwistedRainbow.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
Sounds like this thread is call for a private group newbie swap :)

I understand the feedback frustration and the desire to participate in a group event only to be told you haven't been here long enough or your feedback isn't good enough.

Make it private and understand that people flake and you could have a lot of fun.

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »
please remember that all swaps must have their host and rules approved by the moderators.

these rules are in place for a reason.

Offline TwistedRainbow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Twisted Rainbow Customs
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 08:09:36 AM »
no disrespect but the rules state that i need to be at least 16 which i am. must send swap idea and partners and whatnot to a mod. but no where does it say anything about approval. so if approval is needed then it looks like things need to be reworded a bit.
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,283446.0.html

im not trying to be a butt head here but i posted this thread in response to this one
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,290940.0.html

so many people were interested and they cant ALL swap with the same person so i came up with the circle swap idea. that way they can all be involved instead of doing a one on one. this would be a easy way to jump into things, get some feedback, build relationships right out of the gate. i dont understand why this is such a big deal to people. this doesnt have to be a huge swap. i can make it for people with 0 feedback only that way they all know what they are getting themselves into. i will offer some of my customs to people who dont recieve one. its the perfect way to gauge newbies reliability. its safer then a private trade also. how pissed would you be to be in a prvate trade and your partner bails on you after you send there pony? this way i will be the backup. i dont understand why the vets are so against this idea.

this will be a purely newbie thing. and yes i understand all of your concerns but so will all the participants. it is a risk but also a great opportunity. and yes it may end in total disaster with people not making ponies when they should and whatnot but even if that happens so what? i will make replacements, i will fix the problems. it doesnt effect the arena vets or other people not in the swap. im not a mod so there will be no reflection onto the arena itself.

look at it as a newbie private swap circle, its just a private swap with multiple people. and before you start in on private swaps are only for 2 people at a time, let me say this. yes a newbie can post for a private swap with someone but if multiple people are interested because they are newbies too you don't want to bombard the first person with so many things at once, nor do you want to turn away other people who need the work too. hence newbie circle swap. let me ask you this. if in the previous thread i posted we decided to do a circle swap would that have been ok? it would have been private, people would know the risks. if thats ok then this is too, its the same thing just offered to more people with a backup plan.

it all makes sense to me and im not sure if im getting the point across that i want to convey. i hope you understand where im coming from.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 08:26:13 AM »
I happen to agree with this point.. What's the difference between a private swap between two people, where each person knows there is a chance the other might flake, and a pirvate swap between 5 people who are aware that the others might flake?

No matter what, there is risk.

Everyone knows that going in. TwistedRainbow is willing to shoulder that risk so that some newbies can join in the fun. It really sucks to be on the outside looking in, and this will allow people to be on the inside and have fun.

I honestly don't see the point in telling a group of people "You aren't allowed to do that! If you do it, we don't want to hear about it here. You cannot find interested people here!"

If something happens to TwistedRainbow and she bails out of the swap, it's a private thing and doesn't fall on a mod to take care of.. Because once again, everyone knows going in that there are risks. And heck. People earn feedback out of this. If someone bails, they are going to get hit with negative feedback. Maybe that doesn't worry everyone, but it sure would bother me!

Just let them have their fun.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 08:33:37 AM »
no disrespect but the rules state that i need to be at least 16 which i am. must send swap idea and partners and whatnot to a mod. but no where does it say anything about approval. so if approval is needed then it looks like things need to be reworded a bit.

It is  the very first rule. "Your written swap needs to be sent to an Arena Customs Mod before being posted in the Custom Forum. Please feel free to start a thread to gauge interest but you must PM a moderator for approval before officially starting a swap."

If you want to do private swaps, do private swaps. If you want to do private swaps between more than 2 people, feel free. You can discuss it through PMS, you can arrange it offsite, whatever you'd like. But this suggestion thread is for an arena custom swap posted and organized on the forum, which would need to be aprroved by a moderator. It does not bode well if you did not even read the arena swap rules thoroughly enough to see that it needs to be approved.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:40:47 AM by NoDivision »

Offline TwistedRainbow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Twisted Rainbow Customs
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 08:49:20 AM »

It is  the very first rule. "Your written swap needs to be sent to an Arena Customs Mod before being posted in the Custom Forum. Please feel free to start a thread to gauge interest but you must PM a moderator for approval before officially starting a swap."

If you want to do private swaps, do private swaps. If you want to do private swaps between more than 2 people, feel free. You can discuss it through PMS, you can arrange it offsite, whatever you'd like. But this suggestion thread is for an arena custom swap posted and organized on the forum, which would need to be aprroved by a moderator. It does not bode well if you did not even read the arena swap rules thoroughly enough to see that it needs to be approved.

no i mentioned this is my last post. it says "must be sent to mod" it DOES NOT SAY "must be APPROVED by mod" therefor suggesting mods must be aware of the swap, not must approve the swap. the word approved is not in the rules anywhere. common sense tells me yes it should be approved by a mod but the words say that the mod should just know. not my fault the rules were posted with missing words.

and apparently you didnt understand what i was trying to say before. there is no difference in a private swap and this proposed swap. the only difference is that you want us to do it behind the scenes without inviting other newbs to join.

next time actually READ the post before you comment

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 08:52:23 AM »
"you must PM a moderator for approval before officially starting a swap"

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 08:52:40 AM »
I'm gonna throw a warning in here to keep the topic civil and avoid personal attacks or it will be locked.

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 09:01:21 AM »
No, you can invite whoever. There were lots of people who posted in that thread where someone was looking for someone to trade with. So if there were more people than the original poster was able to work with, why couldn't the other people commenting just go "oh hey, look, there are other people intereted, maybe I'll PM one of those people and ask them." No one is saying that you can't arrange trades, that you can't invite people to join you, that you can't do trades with zero feedback. But what you posted here was a guaging interest thread for an arena swap. When you post that publically listing it as a proposed swap, you have to follow the arena rules. And the arena rules say that public group swaps have to be approved by a moderator.

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »
I'm going to step in now and say this will not get approved. We have seen far too many of these types of swaps end in complete disaster causing extra work for both the custom mods and trader support mods.

There is a reason why newbie swaps are run by either an Arena mod or a well established, experienced member.

As far as the wording of the rules is concerned it has now been corrected.

Members with 0 feedback are more than welcome to set up personal swaps among themselves. For those with 1 or 2 feedbacks you are more than welcome to join the current newbie swap taking sign ups now.

I think it best if I lock this now.
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal