collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tired of ugly FiM ponies? Especially boys?  (Read 18539 times)

Offline dippindot

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Tired of ugly FiM ponies? Especially boys?
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2012, 06:53:46 AM »
Whenever I see "Hasbro have gone too far" pertaining to a FiM episode, I know I'm not going to agree with the person.

This.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CloudBurst Reference

Signature is rotating, PM for artist info! : )

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2012, 07:12:44 AM »

Ha ha ha, "Big Sig's brother", that's great!

Okay, to tell the truth I did not like that pony's design--not because I want all ponies to have one body type, but because he just didn't match up with the "feel" of the rest of the show.  His body shape and tiny wings were fine, but the execution made it look like he'd wandered in from Ren and Stimpy.  He was still pretty funny, though.

Also, what bothers me most about the male ponies is their limited colors. Last episode had some good designs but next episode there will again be a new male character they just slap brown on.

Yeah, I would like to see less boys with brown palettes, or at least more girls with brown.   Let's break down this ridiculous genderization of color!

At least this episode had that Firefly-lookalike male pony.   
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2012, 07:19:38 AM »
Some pony designs look so alien compared to 99% of the other ponies. I'm not talking about a bit of chubbyness or facial hair or whatever. I'm talking about ponies who's body build is so vastly different that you almost wonder if they are a different specie. While i like some of those designs at the same time i think they are a bit distracting.

I think vastly different, exaggerated or wacky-looking characters is part of the appeal - in a lot of cases it serves as an actual part of the comedy.. Like caricatures.

It's very refreshing for me to see this kind of comedy in MLP. I don't think it's ever been done before in previous generations. It feels more diverse instead of perpetually stuck in a kind of one-dimensional saccharine world.

Seeing caricatures between a bunch of non caricatures is still distracting and kind of a "break" in art style (sorry, i'm not sure how to say it in English). Seeing 99% the same ponies with here and there an almost alien looking pony is not really what i would call "diversity". In order for it to work well you need to have more diversity than that. Again, now some of these ponies look like they are a different specie.
It's like the whole Fleur thing where people assume she must be related to the royal family because her body shape is so very different from all other female ponies. (I like Fleur BTW)
So yeah, i can see how some people find it distracting and odd.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
I will admit it took me a little while to get used to what I considered to be "non pony" colors lol. My friend (who likes the show and is not a collector) showed me her ponysona she made on General Zoi's Ponygenerator. It was a red pony with brown hair. I told her "That's cute but ponies don't really have brown hair, you know. They don't do brown or black or gray. They are all about bright and pastel colors!"

She looks at me and says "What are you talking about? There's brown, black, and gray ponies all through the show."

I had to laugh, I realized she was right! I had never even thought about it. These pretty much are the first non-rainbow shaded ponies in the MLP universe (with the exception of a few like Snuzzle).

At first it bugged me for a while. Brown MLP's? That just didn't make sense to me. But after a while I realized that's the style of the show. And the different body types are the style of the show too.

It's not what we're used to from the other MLP generations, no, but that doesn't make it bad. It's a fresh and original look at a product and I had to get used to it but now I think the FiM universe is great in its variety and unique features.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2012, 07:30:15 AM »
Whenever I see "Hasbro have gone too far" pertaining to a FiM episode, I know I'm not going to agree with the person.

Ditto to this.

I loved all of the ponies in Hurricane Fluttershy. That big beafy pony was hilarious. Now, I admit, I didn't like him at first because his art is different but that is just my personal taste.  Besides, what one person considers "ugly" may not be considered the same way to someone else. Keep the diversity coming Hasbro. I loved the boy ponies in this episode. And Blossomforth was adorable.

majikarte

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:35 AM »

I think he seemed kind of out of place. I kind of feel like they were trying to do something like Crackle again, but Crackle was funny since he was what the costume looked like, this pony just seemed so... random? But I think it's funny that people would complain about :muffin: Pony being offensive and "ableist" and whatnot, but I haven't seen any real complaints about people being offended by either Crackle or this pony. (which is a good thing! I also kind of doubt that any of people complaining about :muffin: Pony really mean it and are just trying to annoy her fans...?)

The real life facial hair horses are really cute, haha... and I certainly don't see why the characters in the show can't have moustaches or beards.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2012, 07:59:59 AM »
No, we weren't just trying to be trolls...can we please stay on topic?

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »
No, we weren't just trying to be trolls...can we please stay on topic?

This.

I am really tired of people claiming that the objections to :muffin: Pony don't make sense just because we don't jump up and cry about any character who might somehow possibly be offensive to someone in any possible way. It's not the same thing.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 08:23:49 AM »

I think he seemed kind of out of place. I kind of feel like they were trying to do something like Crackle again, but Crackle was funny since he was what the costume looked like, this pony just seemed so... random? But I think it's funny that people would complain about :muffin: Pony being offensive and "ableist" and whatnot, but I haven't seen any real complaints about people being offended by either Crackle or this pony. (which is a good thing! I also kind of doubt that any of people complaining about :muffin: Pony really mean it and are just trying to annoy her fans...?)

The real life facial hair horses are really cute, haha... and I certainly don't see why the characters in the show can't have moustaches or beards.

the reason people got :muffin: Pony 'fixed' is because the fandoom had brought attention to her, if everybody were to go nuts for crackle as they did for :muffin: Pony, he'd be fixed too. But the ponies in the eyes of the complainers see the ponies as 'humans' and everyone else as an animal. So crackle would still be safe and part of the 'baddie' crowd.

and i made the real life horse post for exactly that, it's real and therefore not odd at all. XD

Offline BrightIdea

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Ugly ponies?   Did I watch the wrong episode?

I loved all of the background character ponies in this episode way more than I have liked any previous ones, so I reaaaallly disagree with the "ugly" comment.

I love the variety in character types, not just the same looking character over and over.

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2012, 09:11:59 AM »
Actually, I didn't complain about Crackle because I didn't feel like getting yelled at again. The thought did cross my mind.

But like I said before with the diversity of character types, if they were less obvious stereotypes, I'd feel more positive about it. Not that I think all the more unique designs, pony or not, are all stereotypes, but it's there. And it does bug me that it's almost always the males, as if only male characters can have odd traits, but that goes along with my concern about stereotypes.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
At least some of them look a little bit more like shetland ponies and less like deer. I'm still not interested in FIM all that much because I'm a horse lover, not a deer lover. I might actually start watching it again if they were all looking like shetlands.

Offline Zest

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
I didn't notice any "ugly" ponies in the last episode? xD And Horse Power was freaking awesome, I just cracked up whenever he made an appearance.

If anything I'd like to see more variation :P They seem to have all the pony body variations centered around the guys, and very little around the fillies (Mrs. Cake and other "mom" ponies notwithstanding, if only because that's the only body variation I can recall).
* ~ * ~ * Looking for: TAF Yum Yum and Buttons and Spanish Piggies! * ~ * ~ *

Offline Elisto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
Yeah, I really barely notice that Mrs. Cake looks different from other female ponies.

Offline Malicieuse

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
I didn't notice any "ugly" ponies in the last episode? xD And Horse Power was freaking awesome, I just cracked up whenever he made an appearance.

If anything I'd like to see more variation :P They seem to have all the pony body variations centered around the guys, and very little around the fillies (Mrs. Cake and other "mom" ponies notwithstanding, if only because that's the only body variation I can recall).

Well, there is still Fleur. ^^;

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal