collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to tell if hair is re-pinked?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
How to tell if hair is re-pinked?
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:33:58 PM »
Hello all

I have come by a Posey with the most stunning pink hair. She's gorgeous and I wonder, if by possible freak chance, original? I have another Posey who I love and adore, and I thought she had lovely pink hair, but side by side there is just no comparison.

Are there any tell tale signs you can think of that might indicate if hair has been re-pinked? The other thing that made me wonder if this girl is original is that there was a funny little knotty thing just under the base of her tail which I think is a factory flaw (her head hadn't previously been removed - I went to check and stopped partway when I realised the inner seal was still intact at the back of the neck). I pulled the wee knot out, and the colour of the hair (which in theory) has never been exposed in her lifetime, matches the outer tail (it's the separate strand as per photo below). I am conscious that in the event of a re-pink, dye may have seeped inside? Her mane, and in particular her forelock, is just a smidgeon lighter than her tail (oft the case as on display tails don't often get as much light as manes and forelocks!)

The interesting difference between the two, is my original one has brighter pink/darker (but not magenta) tulips, but this new one has darker green eyes, almost olivey. Both are Hong Kong.

Any suggestions?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Re: How to tell if hair is re-pinked?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
My goodness, she's beautiful! Other than looking where the mane is rooted, I can't think of an obvious way to tell, unfortunately. But even if she's a repink, she's a treasure in my eyes. Apart from the beautiful color, the hair is so silky looking! :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:04:33 AM »
Wow, she's so beautiful @A@ Are there any telltale spots along the plugs or tail hole that dye could have stained? Otherwise, does her head come off? You might be able to tell by looking at the bit of tail attached to the washer.

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »
It looks pretty original to me- the pink has slight orange undertones. it is possible to match the color by mixing a little orange into your dye when re-pinking but most people don't bother. as a result most re-pinks have slightly purplish undertones. I'll post some comparison pics in a second.

hear we see 4 of my girls the two on the left are original and the two on the right are re-pinkis. the middle right one has had a little orange added to the dye but you can still see the purple undertones.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:23:45 AM by Sanadaookami »

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
She looks absolutely lovely to me.  I don't know if she is re-pinked or not though.  She has such beautiful silky hair!

As far as telling a re-pink for an original... here are four of my Wind Whistlers with Up, Up and Away... Only one of them is a re-pink.  Can you guess which one cause I had a pretty hard time telling the difference between them.

The NSS Wind Whistler is the Re-Pink in this photo.  I dyed her myself using RIT fabric dye from Walmart.  The Up, Up, and Away is from the childhood collection of a non-collector that had no knowledge of ponies at all.  The SS next to the NSS is the gorgeous pony that I received in my very first swap here at the arena.  My partner, Dinobuzz, picked her up in a bag of ponies at a thrift store in completely mint condition.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:43:21 AM by TokiBear »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »
Y-you've moved her away from that window by now, right?  OH GOD, GET HER AWAY FROM THE WINDOW!   :yikes:
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
You know...I dont know about repinked...I was thinking more a rehair!

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:54:29 AM »
She just appears to be in mint condition to me. I've repinked before using rose pink RIT dye and the hair is darker, a bit like light maroon.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
Y-you've moved her away from that window by now, right?  OH GOD, GET HER AWAY FROM THE WINDOW!   :yikes:

Oh dear, someone else besides me thinks that way! All of the ponies I have with fading pink are out of the direct sun on my shelf. XD Poor SS Twilight, huddled against the side of the shelf...
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »
Wow she is stunning. I don't know how you would tell, but if it was a re-pink they did a fantastic job as you can't tell.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
Oh dear, someone else besides me thinks that way! All of the ponies I have with fading pink are out of the direct sun on my shelf.  Poor SS Twilight, huddled against the side of the shelf...

I even avoid opening the shades on the window in my kitchen because the light spills into the den, where I keep my ponies. They've turned me into a hermit XD

As for Posey, she looks original to me. Her hair is the right shade of pink.

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »
LOL! :lol:  Yeah - they're definitely AWAY from the window now! We've had nothing but rain two days straight and my fav photo spot was too dark to show off their hair, so the window was used instead  ;)

Thanks everybody for your thoughts! Yep... I'm certainly leaning towards original now  :)  The orangey undertones a couple of you mentioned was there in my mind too, and she has that. There is no staining, her head had never been removed prior to me, and with regards to a re-hair, I'll happily dimiss that too as her hair is both the right length and has that nice original curve to the mane and little curl/sway at the end of the tail! (it's just looks a little waxy in the photo as I had washed and conditioned it the previous day - on some of my ponies the conditioner does that to their hair? Weird?) Prior to the wash it had that lovely soft look my original Posey has. I've found I can usually fix the 'waxy' look by giving another wash with shampoo only.

Oh! So yah!!! Looks like I have a minty Posey! (I think? I hope!)

She does a couple of little orange marks on her legs, so there will be a little bit of sun coming up in her diary, but that hair - that will be well and truly tucked away from the rays!!!

Thanks again everyone  :)

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:03 PM »
My super minty Posey has hair that bright but the mane is a tiiiny bit lighter. I opened her up to check if she had been rehaired because her tail was so bright but she was all original. I suppose it's because there's less hair in the mane it's prone to fading a little bit faster or something, no idea. On the other hand, my Italy posey is fully faded except the base of her tail but I'm not so sure I'll be repinking her. :)
Looks like you've got yourself a very lovely and original Posey, congrats!
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:04:10 PM »
Looks original my lickety has hair that pink :)

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 06:02:57 PM »

Looks like you've got yourself a very lovely and original Posey, congrats!

Thank you! I'm pretty stoked, and Posey is one of my favourite ponies, so super happy to have got one with such lovely hair  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal