collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does anyone else feel frustrated with the lack of female directed FIM stuff?  (Read 12576 times)

Offline gallifreyan_pony

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Personally I think there is a general lack of fan orientated women's tees, not just FiM but other TV/Film and bands too. Where there are women's tees they are often tiny sizes and as a somewhat larger lady I've basically given up trying to support my favourite shows/artists through shirts.

I don't know whether women have just put up with men's shorts for so long that companies don't understand the frustraton, or whether men really do just make up the vast majority of sales (I think this is a possibility) but it really is annoying to see a cool design and realise that it just won't fit properly.

Writing to WLF and letting them know would seem the best option (especially given they're a POD service, right?) but I'm not convinced this is a FiM issue particularly.

Lon-san

• Trade Count: (0)
Taxel: Not you, I supose. It just got me thinking about how some parents wouldn't check the other aisles for stuff and some kids think they will catch cooties if they look themselves. Kind of tangenty so I marked it OT. Yeah, the idea of marketing an item to both is a hard concept for them. A lot of people are up in arms about gender-neutral Lego ending up as a boy's line and a girl's line. Where did they put it in the beginning? Probably the boy aisle anyway, eh?

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
Yikes.  Slightly...explosive topic here.

But...  go to Hot Topic.  I went there looking for some MLP stuff and only found women's shirts.  XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Personally I think there is a general lack of fan orientated women's tees, not just FiM but other TV/Film and bands too. Where there are women's tees they are often tiny sizes and as a somewhat larger lady I've basically given up trying to support my favourite shows/artists through shirts.

You know, that's such an excellent point! I feel like a lot of 'ladies' cut' tees are basically 'baby tees,' and they haven't fit me since high school. :P So I've kind of just - given up on buying women's t-shirts, because I know they'll never fit me. But when they DO fit, I like the cut a lot more, and they usually fit me in a much more flattering way, i.e. not like a sack!

I might need to write WLF a quick note - it doesn't seem like it would cost them much money, since they're a print-on-demand service!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline WickedWonderland

• Trade Count: (+215)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Okie Dokie Lokie
    • View Profile
    • Flickr - Pony Sales
If you contact WeLoveFine and ask for the shirt to be made in the women's style, they'll do it. Or at least that's been my experience. I personally love the fit of the women's tees there, but if you want tank tops I've seen some really cute ones on Cafe Press. Camis aren't generally used for graphic shirts, so you're probably out of luck there.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery

But...  go to Hot Topic.  I went there looking for some MLP stuff and only found women's shirts.  XD

Yeah women's shirts for those with tiny figures. =P

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile

Yeah women's shirts for those with tiny figures. =P

Not to mention not everyone has a Hot Topic in their country. ^^;

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
One of my favorite things to do with men's shirts is cut and tie. I do something like this http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/294211765_a135925f6f.jpg but I do it along the sides of the shirt. Really helps get a nice fit and makes it interesting.

Oh that is awesome!  I've been trying to find a way to style my dude shirt in a way that's more flattering.  Thanks for posting the link to that pic! 

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
I actually really like the fact that everything comes in men's sizes before women's. I loath clothing that is clingy or revealing because I dress conservatively, and most women's tees have gigantic neck holes and are built for an hourglass figure I do not have. I can't count the number of times I've turned up my nose at a shirt that I enjoyed the graphics of because it was built for some size 0 girl with a flat stomach and huge breasts.

You'd be surprised! I fit much better into a womans tee because they're shaped better. And I'm way far from size 0. :D

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I got bored by the end of page 3 so you know... :p

http://www.redbubble.com/shop/fim+t-shirts

It's a bit of a pain to search (try pony names individually in the search at the top and then narrow by tshirts or iphone stuff or whatever) because there are no large categories for anything MLP, but every shirt design would appear to come in several styles and several colours.

MTA, my OH  bought me a tee for Christmas and I love it. True to size, washes well and very comfy.

Offline BigBrotherPony

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Right .... As a male collector ( not necessarily a Brony as I have been collecting since way before FIM existed) who wants to look out for everypony, Brony, Pegasister, or otherwise I have taken action.

I have written to WeLoveFine and explained this tricky situation and linked them to the arena to see what this hot topic is all about.

I have no idea if they will respond but I'll keep u posted!

BBP

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Right .... As a male collector ( not necessarily a Brony as I have been collecting since way before FIM existed) who wants to look out for everypony, Brony, Pegasister, or otherwise I have taken action.

I have written to WeLoveFine and explained this tricky situation and linked them to the arena to see what this hot topic is all about.

BBP

That was very big of you!

Well, if someone from WLF does read this, I'd  like to suggest in addition to more women's shirt options that they try branching out into more G1 shirt options.  I have bought the "Read a Book" shirt featuring Twilight because I can wear it to work.  However, as a mlp collector I am more likely to buy shirts featuring early G1 ponies rather than FIM.  I really like the idea of art shirts featuring ponies such as Glory or Medley in a similar vain to their art nouveau line with FIM.

cesprins

• Trade Count: (0)

BBP

Well, if someone from WLF does read this, I'd  like to suggest in addition to more women's shirt options that they try branching out into more G1 shirt options.  I have bought the "Read a Book" shirt featuring Twilight because I can wear it to work.  However, as a mlp collector I am more likely to buy shirts featuring early G1 ponies rather than FIM.  I really like the idea of art shirts featuring ponies such as Glory or Medley in a similar vain to their art nouveau line with FIM.

Same. I prefer something that's a more elegant. I'd rather see more vintage style artwork, or art nouveau artwork. A lot of the shirts there are too juvenile and in your face.

Hmmm, maybe for the next contest I'll do some g1 artwork...

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile

BBP

Same. I prefer something that's a more elegant. I'd rather see more vintage style artwork, or art nouveau artwork. A lot of the shirts there are too juvenile and in your face.

Hmmm, maybe for the next contest I'll do some g1 artwork...

Yeah, I saw an advertisment for their fan design contest recently and wondered what they would do if people submitted non-fim mlp designs.

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I think there's a large enough fanbase right here that we could either create our own line for Arena members or organize a friendly email campaign to the T-shirt producers.

I also think that gender stereotypes are stupid, even more so now that I have completed my sociology major and plan to go to grad school for it. I admire bronies very much for refusing to let themselves be defined by sexist marketing strategies, and I think the fact that they're being marketed to now is a *good* sign! They're not taking anything away from us, they're expanding the fanbase. We just need to speak up and remind merchandise sellers that we're still here and we want to spend our money with them.

Kids these days are breaking the gender mold too. I don't agree that kids are as hung up about which gender is "supposed" to play with a certain toy as when we were younger. I see little boys in the pony aisle all the time, and they know all the pony names and their parents have no problem buying ponies for their little boys. Kids are annoyed by narrow gender boxes these days too:
http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/27/dont-try-to-buy-this-girl-a-princess-doll/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:11:18 AM by babystarz »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal