collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Interest: Sisterhood of the Travelling Ponies  (Read 10795 times)

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
Re: Interest: Sisterhood of the Travelling Ponies
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
I'd be good with trading with one person at a time. Works out for me because I can just not take any right away if we move after things get going, or when money's too tight for me to send out bunches of ponies. Also- would there be pre-screening for feedback, or would we be responsible for that on our own, and use our discretion re: who we do temporary trades with?

Disregard the Prologue

toralei

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »
I'm up for anything, honestly!! I think the one-at-a-time plan may help things be more organized.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
depending on which months this runs into, i may be able to take one along to the iowa state fair! :D i can't remember which month that is though. XD

pic of a pony eating deep fried butter on a stick, anyone? or deep fried oreos? ...or deep fried twinkies?? ....ok these ponies are going to end up fat if i take them there.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »
I think this is a good idea BUT...  a few people have done this in the past and not had it been successful.  So I am hoping to give you valid advice that will help:

1.  Keep your list of "hosts" short.  Just last year, someone tried to send a pony around the world with 26 participants.  Or something, I'd have to check my emails.  Anyway, it disappeared around halfway through the list...  and obviously the person who started the whole thing is VERY upset about it.  So don't take on more than 8 people, I'd say...

Wasn't that "Send DJ Around The World?"  I was supposed to get her but she never did make it to me and the whole thing was canceled.  I never heard what happened... I am still totally interested in doing something like this but... I'm pretty sure that my area is already taken anyway not that there is much to see in Montana... but I am going to photography school this summer so it would have been fun to see what my classmates and I could find to do with someone's traveling pony!

ETA: Ya!  Post #1400 for me!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:32:14 PM by TokiBear »

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 07:36:34 PM »
Yah, I'm thinking the one-at-a-time thing with people doing their own trades sounds like a LOT less headache for me. I do know that Kiwisquirtbottle 'has plans' to host a small herd for some Texas fun, so she may take a bunch at once.

Ember, I'm still waiting for Jupi and the mods to decide the way they would prefer we go about advertising to host or trade. If you want your pony to visit Texas, you could try PMing Kiwi. I want my pony to visit just about everyone so I'll just have to take them on one at a time and work my way around the world.

Fried butter!? That's awesome. Let me know on that one. I have had fried twinkies and recently tried fried oreos. Toki, Montana is cool! It's so lovely. We may not be doing 'dibs' on areas anyway so stay tuned :)

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:59 PM »
Salli's right; I'd love to host a few ponies! I'm in Austin and had plans for a few fun things:
-- Capitol Building (which was supposed to be a replica of the US Capitol)
-- UT tower (hopefully it'd be lit up orange)
-- Texas History Museum (where there's a giant taxidermy armadillo)
-- In a field of Bluebonnets (state flower, wut?)
-- With some cacti
-- Posing in baby cowboy boots
-- Bats under the bridge
-- Finding a few of the giant artist horses/cows/guitars stationed around downtown
-- Other locations upon request (within reason -- I'm usually too far away to drive to the Alamo)

We went out tonight and got a few small things to also send back with ponies as souvenirs -- cowboy hats, sombreros, bandannas, and bluebonnet seeds.

I'm -hoping- to go to a Houston Pony Meet in June, so also another fun place to take pics, perhaps.

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2012, 03:24:59 AM »
Ok so if we will be sending our ponies one by one how does that work? will i get a list of everyone participating and just work my way down the list?,i would love my pony to visit everyone lol x x

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2012, 05:30:00 AM »
I am not sure if this was suggested. I am on my phone at work so I can't check.

What about there are groups of 8 people? And in each group, one pony will be sent around. And maybe 1 person in each group can be head. And our op can manage each group leader?

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
Kiwi: sorry about keeping on bringing up the Alamo, it was the only Texas thing I could think of. I LOVE the stuffed armadillo idea! And all your other sites sound awesome.

Wiccanpony: I want my pony to go everywhere too, I am waiting to hear from the mods about how we should go about 'advertising' ourselves as travel hosts.

Banditpony: The original idea was for 8 people, and as for the sending one pony all over, that was tried some time ago by someone else and didn't pan out, I started this hoping to send my ponysona pony out and getting other people's ponies to take all over. If anyone wants to try to do the 1-travelling-pony please feel free to and start a new thread to gauge interest. I'm sure people would be :)

I was PMed a good question about who pays for shipping. They suggested that if 2 people are swapping at the same time, that they should pay to ship their own pony off, then pay to ship the 'guest' pony home. But if one person is hosting a bunch of ponies, that the owners should pay to ship their ponies to and from the host. I think that's a great idea. Then if that person wants their pony to visit me, they can pay for their pony to go to and from.
Great ideas, but the details of each visit will be dependent on the host and visiting pony's owner to work out. If you don't like that idea, you can advertise how you would like to arrange the shipping payments when you advertise to host ponies. Just like when people advertise to sell or trade, they have specs on how they prefer to do transactions. And again, be discerning when it comes to feedback as to who is going to host your pony.

I'll let you know when I hear from the mods again. In the meantime, keep working on your travel ponies (if that's what you are doing) and be thinking of photo-ops in your area.

Post Merge: March 21, 2012, 10:24:07 AM

Oops, one more thing, speaking of places for photo-ops. For those of you who are wanting to host a herd of guest ponies, be thinking about what date you want to have your ponies there. For instance, I will be planning a trip to the coast, (the other sites around Portland area are easy to get to any day and I can get them on the days around the coast trip) and I'd like to have a herd visit then. Anyhow, I will need to start advertising well in advance so that my international friends who want to participate can get their ponies to me on time.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 10:31:10 AM by Salli »

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
The new plan is fine with me too!  As for zoos, ours has the biggest desert dome and also indoor rainforest in the country I think.  Those are the things I'd take the pics with.  XD  As for storm cells...well I could do my best, but the weather would have to cooperate lol  The last storm that hit Nebraska went west of us.  >:C

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 11:03:29 AM »
Hadn't thought about shipping in a 1-1 trade... It would definitely be lopsided for some of us! I'm OK with just doing fewer trades becaus; if people really wanted to do one with me, though, it would probably have to be a trade where we pay to ship our own ponies both ways, to even out the cost. That could be decided between partners, though. I definitely agree that if someone is being kind enough to host a herd, we should all be OK with paying our own shipping!

Disregard the Prologue

Offline Varkolak

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 11:12:58 AM »
so, we pay for our pony to travel along the entire way? or is it that we ship, the next person ships, and so on. ...ok i'll try to make a chart lol

Pony A
Pony B
Pony C
Pony D

A to B
B to C
C to D
D to A

if i pony A were to travel to C after B, would person A have to pay for pony A to go to C, if everyone trades?

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 11:15:16 AM »
The only disadvantage I see to this is that it would cost a lot more in postage.  Because instead of sending your pony out once...and then THAT person sending it on..you have to send it out each and every time you want it somewhere.  But...it also means that you don't bite off more than you can chew too.  Hm.  I could do up to three to start...assuming that three would not mind waiting for me to space out the shipping if there are out of country people. 

Or...is it like Vark said and we could do groups all at once?  ARGH My tiny brain hurts!  D:

Also anyone that wanted storm-pony-pics would have to wait until we got an actual storm before I sent them back. :lmao:

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Varkolak

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 11:18:06 AM »
it seems like an awful lot to ship out the pony so many times, i thought it was going to just rotate. like have a group, and ship the ponies in a circle so everyone has 1 at a time. set a date to send them, after everyone's received, give them like a week to have the pony, then pass to the next person.

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »
Well that was the first plan...but there was some concern about someone dropping the ball and there being lost ponies I think.  Though if we did it in smaller groups, and then rotated like that...maybe that would work well?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal