collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: UGH! Protecting/getting cigarette smoke out of leather? Well, everything? Lol  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Hi all! I live with both of my smoking parents and while they only smoke in one part of the house, of course it drifts, travels through vents, and gets into my room.

I never really notice the smell unless I spend the night at somebody else's house. My luggage, clothes, HAIR, everything smells like it! I have this gorgeous long leather coat which I tried to wear again this winter. It has just been hanging up in my closet, but it REEKS. I actually notice the smell right away with this one- it's that bad!

Normally I don't whine about it, but the smell of smoke mixed with leather makes me want to gag. ._.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get it out and keep it that way? I just bought an AWESOME brand new leather jacket and I'm going to keep that in a plastic bin, I hope that keeps this one at least mostly smell "safe"? Do you have any better suggestions?

I have lived with smokers my entire life, but the past couple years I'm just getting more and more sensitive to it I guess. It's a big bummer. I know my book collection smells like it; my ponies stay covered in a plastic bin.

At least it's spring and I can open a window now! It's tempting to super clean and wipe down all my walls.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Ugh! That's awful! I'm afraid I'm useless. I can't get that smell out of anything. And it seems even when others can't smell it, I still can. Hopefully you can get some good tips.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
You may just want to get it drycleaned if it starts to smell, and let them know that you want the smoke odor out. As for protecting it, all I can suggest is when you're not using it, store it in a zip-up garment bag in a closet with some sort of odor killer in the closet. There are various types of jars and whatnot that have stuff to help deodorize.

Offline Ginger

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Thanks!!

I'll check out some garment bags. I can't afford that or dry cleaning right now, but it doesn't hurt to see what's available. Funny too, a coworker JUST gave me a catalog to some the no-smoke candles she's selling lol

Offline Fezzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I think a lot of people use dryer sheets or bicarbonate of soda to get smells out of ponies, I'd imagine it'd help with fabric too

Thanks Jupi, Bluepegasus and Sirithfin!
Fez Blogs: http://choctopus.blogspot.com/

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
You can try the sodium bicarbonate but im not sure if it will help completely.

I do know what you mean though--im incredibly sensitive to smoke.  It gets to the point where if someone by me is smoking, ill stop breathing or it will be restricted.

Best of luck with getting it out <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline RavenWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
you didn't say what kind of leather it is, if its regular leather (not suede) you can use saddle soap. My friend whose husband smokes like a chimney gave me a nice leather coat she no longer wanted.. it absolutely reeked of smoke. So I bought a little bottle of liquid saddle soap (TESTED it on the inside of one of the pockets) and then cleaned the whole coat with it. A little bit on a slightly damp cloth working on one little area at a time. A tiny bit of black came off on the cloth but it didn't effect how the coat looked. I hung it up to dry. and the smoke smell was gone. It did smell like  the soap for a few days but it reminded me of horses so it didn't bother me. It was an older leather coat and as a bonus the saddle soap restored the leather making it look and feel like a new leather coat. :)

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline Ginger

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
You can try the sodium bicarbonate but im not sure if it will help completely.

I do know what you mean though--im incredibly sensitive to smoke.  It gets to the point where if someone by me is smoking, ill stop breathing or it will be restricted.

Best of luck with getting it out <3
Oh gosh, that's terrible!!! That reaction must be absolutely miserable. >_< Thanks for the baking soda suggestion. I think I'm going to try making sachets with it. I have tooons of fabric scraps and that'll be a nice way to use them up.

Thank you so much ravenwolf!! I never heard of saddle soap before. Mine is just regular leather. I'm going to try it!! Where did you purchase it at?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal