collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need some advice on two separate issues...  (Read 861 times)

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Need some advice on two separate issues...
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:41:25 AM »
1.  I have a gym membership at Planet Fitness but I have to force myself to use it.  I hate going to the gym.  It's not the workout that bugs me, it's just being there with other people.  I have a problem where I think that anyone looking my way is thinking negatively about me, for my appearance, expression, method, etc.  And people do look around when bored or resting.  Can anyone give me some advice?  Or, maybe, could someone recommend some good strength workouts I can do at home?

2.  I've been using my AOL account since elementary/middle school and I'm starting to think about getting a new account, one that would look more professional than "stormcloud94."  My questions are, should I stay with AOL or go to Yahoo or something like that?  I've never had a problem with AOL (I just have the free email; I'm not paying for anything), but some judge you based on the domain.  Also, should I keep my current one for small matters and create a second one for the professional ones, or just get one new one to be used for everything?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Need some advice on two separate issues...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:58:18 AM »
Maybe some headphones or something to keep your mind focused away from other people so you don't notice them looking at you?

And I see no reason not to stay with AOL if that's who you like. As for it affecting your work, it would help to know your profession. I think to most, it's just an email. If it were me, I'd keep the old one too. "Dead" emails you don't really use are great for signing up for things online. You still get access to the site without all the junk you couldn't care less about.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:11:15 AM »
1. Don't give up on the gym, I think it would be better to find a way to get over this problem. I sometimes suffer from the same thing, and one just can't avoid places because of insecurities. We need to face the problem head on, I always think. Headphones are a great suggestion for starters!

2. I've had a Hotmail account since the dawn on time (1998) and I've never had a reason for changing it, just updated my username to something a bit more grown up (firstname.lastname@hotm....) once I started applying for jobs etc. Don't try and fix what ain't broke, some people can judge on the smallest of things, but we can't spend our time worrying about that now can we?

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:50:59 AM »
You guys are awesome.  Thanks for the advice!  :hug:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
I agree with what everyone else has said :)

I think your email is up to - if you want it separate or a different name, or keep the one you have. If you had something questionable for your email ("drunkpartygirl" or something like that) then I would definitely say get a different one for job hunts :)
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Aster

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
I have the same problem with gyms- is there a way you can go at a less crowded time? (like really early morning) If not, I always try to remind myself that usually when people are bored, they aren't staring/judging those around them but rather they're thinking their own things and their eyes just wander (I know I'm not the only one who's been in class or on a bus and get lost in thought, only to realize that my eyes were staring at someone unintentionally)

As for email, I don't think it really matters. If you want a more professional-sounding one, but want to keep your old one too, you can get a gmail account (which is free) and they can forward any emails you get to the aol account so both end up in the same mailbox.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »
I have the same problem with gyms- is there a way you can go at a less crowded time? (like really early morning)

I used to go around five when they opened, and it was awesome around that time.  So much easier.  But now it's hard for me to go to sleep and wake up early.  Oh well...  Time to change that.  :P

As for email, I don't think it really matters. If you want a more professional-sounding one, but want to keep your old one too, you can get a gmail account (which is free) and they can forward any emails you get to the aol account so both end up in the same mailbox.

That's cool.  I never knew that.  Thanks!

toralei

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »
About the gym thing:
In my experience, although people look around and stuff, people won't view you negatively if you're putting in effort into your workout or being responsible. Regardless of one's weight or level of fitness, the things that tend to get odd looks are things like being a diva, using equipment is bizarre ways, etc etc.... so just be polite and you should be fine!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal