collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New customizer... prepping the bait, glue is evil!  (Read 1645 times)

MrsDavis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New customizer... prepping the bait, glue is evil!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 06:17:49 PM »
Cutie!

I'm hoping for ringlets, myself.  :biggrin:

Waiting for paint to dry on my little McDonald's ponies. Looking good so far, though Rarity need a couple more coats and Pinkie Pie has a rough spot I missed and need to sand down.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:20:17 PM by MrsDavis »

reyl

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »
Pretty sure the dirigible pilot will have sausage curls at least. I may have to do them when my daughter isn't looking ;) The little mad scientist goth that my daughter came up with MUST have pin-straight hair though. I know she's going to get played with, so I'm not going to even try ;)

Here's the concept sketch... I think we're going for painted on boots on the back feet and not the ribbon. Not sure how that will turn out o_O I really need to scrounge up some markers, because crayon colour scans horribly! The green is a really bright acid green... the hair streak is pink, and there is silver on the bottom of the boots. We're going to try bangs too!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Arsenic

MrsDavis

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »
Coolness, I like the name, too. Arsenic. :biggrin:

reyl

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »
Once the ponies are painted and "done" it would be cool to also make them outfits...  Have I mentioned I also knit and sew? Oh, I am so never going to be finished these! Eeep... I just saw the results of a Lolita swap and clearly these gals will need DRESSES. Oh, and I figured out to put a link in my sig, so the work-in-progress link is there. In case this thread dies ;)

:nerdy:

Post Merge: March 13, 2012, 09:34:41 AM

White pony is now yellow! The RIT dye was AMAZING and fast. Let's hope it's also fast. *giggle*

IMAG0052.jpg
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:34:42 AM by reyl »

MrsDavis

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »
Oh, she looks great! The color is really nice. I'll have to get some dye myself.

I saw those lolita ponies, too and just about died! They're GORGEOUS! I'm learning to sew via machine (only ever sewn by hand) and this would make a wonderful project! :biggrin:

reyl

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »
I  had dye leftover too. I only used a third of the package or so. When my dollyhair order comes in, I'm going to make a ponysona custom for myself of the guy in my icon :) I'm going to have to check out wing and clay tutorials though!

Some of those lolitas were sculpted which just boggles my mind. Wow.

:frolic:

More progress pics:

IMAG0057.jpg
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:28:11 AM by reyl »

MrsDavis

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
Cuteness! The colors are great.

I've been stalking my mailbox like a mad woman, waiting for all my baits and apoxie to come in, lol.

Flarewing

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
Hey. I do the majority of the dehairing of baits for my wife, and I have some suggestions for you.

First off, go to Wal-Mart and spend $5 on a pair of hemostats from the fishing section. I use these for all the ponies I de-hair. The locking feature is rather nice in that you can let them go and get a better grip, then really twist them around and break up the old glue from inside the head.

Another thing I do is to lay the closed hemos along the mane line on the outside, then use my thumbs to put pressure on the glue through the pony head. It doesn't leave marks and it cracks and spreads the glue. Broken up glue is easier to rip out!

I usually do not have to use any chemicals to get the old hair out.

reyl

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »

Thanks for the tips :) I was using the push on the head trick by the end. Locking pliers sound like a very nice idea. My biggest issue was that my pliers wouldn't stay open, since they are on my multitool. But I got some proper ones at CT yesterday. Now that I have the Goof Off though, I am pretty tempted to use it to nuke the glue.

:yikes:

Update:
Today went pretty well. The purple pony is mostly painted. I just have to touch up her eyes and eyelashes and outline a bit. The other pony is very yellow and ready for paint. And I've started knotting hair plugs... that is probably going to take the longest!

Latest paint layer:

IMAG0060

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »
Steam Pony FTW!!

Tip: let the dyed pony sit for awhile before painting. Dye will seep through if not allowed to "rest" long enough. A lil test spot of white paint is great for checking leakage. Is that a tiny skull I see in Arsenic's eye? Cool.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal