collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New customizer... prepping the bait, glue is evil!  (Read 1646 times)

reyl

• Trade Count: (0)
New customizer... prepping the bait, glue is evil!
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
I'm very excited to be doing my first customizations of G3s with my daughter over March Break. She has carefully selected which of our charity shop finds we can dissect and fancy up. We are starting with Yesterdaisy and Summer shores. We're going to do a goth pony and a steam punk pony. We're taking lots of progress shots, if any other newbies wantto see how  ponies come apart.

The head hair was tied in sections according to colour, and cut off at the scalp. We tried boiling the ponies to get the necks to loosen up but that didn't work well. I used a box cutter very carefully around the neck seam and pried one of the ponies heads off successfully. The other had so much glue that the neck just had to be cut right through. The tails came out so easily, but the manes were another story. SO MUCH GLUE. I re-boiled and poured nail polish remover in the head... One was very stubborn. Finally it just took serious elbow grease and pliers.

Next we tried taking off symbols with nail polish remover. It seemed to be going well at first... but there are green smudges that are being very resistant. I'm going to go out and find a different solvent. Either 100% acetone or some other remover I heard about on a forum. Suggestions appreciated!

Repainting will come next, as soon as we can get the rest of that stubborn cutie mark paint off. So, to summarize, PONIES AWESOME GLUE EVIL.

Best thing so far, my daughter made up a song about giving ponies new hair and decapitating them. PRICELESS. (She is almost 11)

MrsDavis

Re: New customizer... prepping the bait, glue is evil!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:46:17 AM »
Awww, so awesome that you're doing this with your daughter!

I can't wait for all the cursing that's likely to ensue when I attempt my first beheadings, lol.

Also, I've been tossing the idea around for a bit...Do you think those Magic Erasers would remove the smudges? I know they'll take of permanent marker. Worth a shot if nothing else works, and I know they'd clean up dirty ponies well.

Kimmers4Ever

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »
Glue is the devil when it comes to those heads. I usually have pretty sore fingers when I am done.  One thing I do... If it doesn't have a horn. I take the head, turn it upside down and smash it into the table carefully.  Sometimes it makes the glue crack and break. keeping it smashes long enough to grab a piece with pliers and puuuuuullllll.  Or just lever it out. Just have to be careful with it.

As for taking off stuff. I use 100% acetone. I use to do Nail polish as well, but seemed like it didn't do enough. :P Wear gloves when you do! (Which you probably know)

It's great you are doing this with your daughter. I only have sons and my hubby has put his foot down on his boys playing/customizing ponies.

MrsDavis

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:55:27 AM »
I wish I saw my niece enough to do this with her. She's a great kid and artistic to boot.  ^.^

She's really into Littlest Pet Shop. Maybe I can do a custom one for her...

reyl

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
I was going to look for some Goof Off, as per Minty's tutorial page... But barring that, 100% acetone will probably work too.

I think art has no gender. If I can make custom ponies as a grownup guy, I'm sure boys can get in on the fun if they like crafts! Just work on him a little ;) Optimus Prime Pony?

We're running off to Canadian Tire and the craft store now for supplies :D

KiwiSquirtBottle

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
I've never used Goof Off, but have heard wonderful things. Personally, I use 100% acetone, and it is fantastic!

Good luck with both your ponies!

lilacamy931

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »
sounds like making good progress even with all the glue!

MrsDavis

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:16:22 PM »
I was going to look for some Goof Off, as per Minty's tutorial page... But barring that, 100% acetone will probably work too.

I think art has no gender. If I can make custom ponies as a grownup guy, I'm sure boys can get in on the fun if they like crafts! Just work on him a little ;) Optimus Prime Pony?

I agree, art has no gender, and I wish it was given more emphasis.

Yay! Craft store!!! :frolic:

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:05:03 PM »
goof off does cut through glue better than acetone i think.

To get the hair out of my G3 ponies, I use a flat head screw drive to scrape at the plugs inside the head. I hold it cradled in my palm, that way I am bracing the head and can feel where I am scraping. Then I pull it out with pliers.

5 years ago, g3 ponies were the devil to dehair, but these days they seem so easy. And the g4 ponies are even easier, but newer. It doesn't seem fair lol.

Looking forward to seeing your WIP pics. :)

Kimmers4Ever

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »

I totally read that as "Canadian Tire and Craft store".  Threw me there for a moment!

Anyhow, my oldest out of the hearing of his dad did ask if I was ever going to make a persona pony of him and a basketball pony of him too.  So I've got a family of ponies in the design stage. ;) The bait will be the tough part. :P

reyl

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
If Canadian Tire had a craft section, my life would be complete :P

The shopping went well and I have to say the Goof Off is STELLAR. It got almost everything off with minimal effort. The bright pink hoof heart has still left a shadow on the white pony though. Bother.

Since you asked, here are some progress pics!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Summer Shores

Yesterdaisy

Headless

Bald!

Surgery

MrsDavis

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »
Good job so far!

I need to head out to Walmart and get some more paints and I'll probably grab some of the Goof off, too while I'm at it.

PrincessKnight

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
It's awesome that you're doing this with your daughter :D

Hope you two have fun customizing! I was a bit wary when I prepped my first pony but now that I've done a few of them, I think it might be my favorite part :P

MrsDavis

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
Ohhhhh, I soooo eager for my baits to come in! Seeing everyone getting started just makes it all the harder to wait!

I satisfied myself a little bit by fixing up my new McD's ponies. They have a weird thingy on top of their heads to make them keychains, so I cut it off and sanded it down. Gotta run out for some paint here in a minute.

Stilllll, waiting for my baits and apoxie sculpt is driving me nuts! :frolic:

reyl

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »
Well, you could always work on some designs!

Here's what we have for our first pony... we're going to try and dye the white pony yellow/sepia. Here's the concept art for our steampunk gal! Her hair is going to be Kanekelon blonde and auburn, since I only just did a little order of dollyhair. If my daughter lets me, I'm going to give her ringlets... but there could be a revolt. She likes silky smooth hair.

Dirigible

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal