collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any knitters? Help! **Added Photos!**  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Talismarr

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Any knitters? Help! **Added Photos!**
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »
I bought a nice handmade scarf on etsy, and it's a combination of 3 colors, where one color is just a band of two rows of stitches. The person who made it just wove these ends in straight across the scarf (the other colors are woven in along the edge or straight up and down). When I stretched the scarf out sideways the ends that were woven in sideways pulled out! Then when the scarf went back to it's normal shape bits of string were poking out and some stitches didn't lay flat because the string was then bunched up.

Is there a way I can fix this? I don't want to wear the scarf with ridiculous bits of yarn poking out everywhere. Can I just cut these pieces shorter so they don't stick out too far? I'm worried it might unravel if I do. I can see why they are not woven in along the side as they are a different color. I also don't knit and don't have tools to weave these pieces back in, nor would I want to every time I want to wear it.

It also looks like there is cat hair or something on it, which kinda irritates me. I don't recall the seller stating that she had a cat.

Other than that I do like this scarf. It's cozy so far ^_^
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:38:18 PM by Talismarr »

Offline RavenWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Any knitters? Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »
It might be alright to cut them or they could unravel more, it depends. Is there anyway you could post an up close picture? If I could see how its pulling out I'd be able to tell you the best way to fix it.  :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:48:51 PM »
Not fun! I don't knit but I know we have a few around here who do. Good luck finding a fix!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:03:37 AM »
Pictures!!! It will be much easier to answer

Its going to depend on whether the pieces you refer to are actually stitched into the scarf in some way or simply woven through and if woven in what way was it done...my first advise is dont scissor anything until you can suss out whether the extra material is somehow connected the core of the scarf - one snip of the scissors in the wrong place and you ll have an unravelled scarf...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 04:32:16 AM »
yes pictures first! I tend to weave ends in myself most patterns call for it but a small stitch with sewing thread can help hold it in place.. I do that with stuff I'm selling/gifting. Loose ends in stuff I'm keeping... I'm just lazy.

And the cat hair.... well it could be human hair :p I always.. without fail ALWAYS end up stitching in some random stray hair of mine into my textile work. Even if I'm being careful!
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Talismarr

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Any knitters? Help! **Added photos!**
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »
I should have added pictures from the start, sorry guys!  ^.^
Thanks for the help so far! Hopefully these help explain it a bit

The scarf with lovely string bits sticking out

How the woven in yarn goes when I stretch it out

And when it bunches back together

Attempt at a close up. I think these ends are tied off, so maybe I could cut them and leave a bit woven in so I don't have ends poking out on the sides?

JazzMatazz maybe I will have to try the thread!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
Re: Any knitters? Help! **Added Photos!**
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:51:36 AM »
Most patterns call for ends to be tied off and woven in.. and just sometimes the particular type of yarn or item of clothing it just does not work for. My best suggestion is to weave it back in and then secure it with thread/yarn and then weave those ends in :p a bit of thin thread is less noticeable than huge strands of yarn. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion as well. Everyone does things a bit differently and since I don't make items for others that often.. maybe someone has a better way to hide ends than I do. :)
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »
I don't do scarves but when I make teddies I tie the two ends together then tie each of the ends to an existing bit of knitting.  If it's near I seam I weave it into the seam; if it's in the middle I normally just weave it across a little and cut it, or go across a bit, turn the thread and go back to the start.  But I don't do a huge amount of knitting.

Offline prettypony55

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 11:19:46 PM »
I cant knit to save my own life, but I do crochet. When I switch a color, or am finishing off a color I usually weave those ends in on the back of the pattern. I knot them first, then weave them in. I never cut them off right after I knot them together. I am afraid it will come loose and fall apart.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 05:35:42 AM »
like prettypony i crochet rather than knit and i do the same with the ends, knot then wave the tails in :)

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Asphodel

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
i wouldn't cut those threads. It'd leave ugly knots at the end, and if they do unravel, you'll have no yarn left to save it with. What I would do is pull all the weaving out and start it over. I usually either weave through a few stitches, then back on myself, and carry on looping along, like a letter "e" in a line "e_e_e", if you know what I mean, or weave through the back of the purls up and down, in a zig-zag pattern. This is what I do when I make gloves, and they hardly ever pull back through like this. It's best to use a method of weaving that makes it difficult for the threads to naturally pull back through.

I

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »
Dont cut it, you risk it all falling apart :(

I would try to weave it back in <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Quill

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
Ick! You do NOT weave in tails like that. Hiding tails in 1x1 ribbing takes more effort, but it's not impossible. You certainly don't run it through like that. Either it was done in ignorance or laziness, either way I would not be a happy camper to receive that. First of all, don't cut the tails. You run the risk of the knitting coming unraveled. Knotting it would also be a bad idea since knots can come loose in the wash or even break. Weaving the ends back in yourself would be your best bet.

If I were you, I'd get me some yarn needles, they come in metal or plastic, are blunt tipped, and have a very large eye. You can find them at any craft store or Wal-mart that carries yarn. I found a video that shows how to weave in ends in ribbing. You can find it here. Just follow what is says and that should take care of it. But just in case, I would be careful about washing it (handwashing and air drying) to make sure the tails don't come loose again.

Good luck! I hope you can get it all sorted out and enjoy it. :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:01:29 PM by Quill »

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »
Ick! You do NOT weave in tails like that. Hiding tails in 1x1 ribbing takes more effort, but it's not impossible. You certainly don't run it through like that. Either it was done in ignorance or laziness, either way I would not be a happy camper to receive that. First of all, don't cut the tails. You run the risk of the knitting coming unraveled. Knotting it would also be a bad idea since knots can come loose in the wash or even break. Weaving the ends back in yourself would be your best bet.

If I were you, I'd get me some yarn needles, they come in metal or plastic, are blunt tipped, and have a very large eye. You can find them at any craft store or Wal-mart that carries yarn. I found a video that shows how to weave in ends in ribbing. You can find it here. Just follow what is says and that should take care of it. But just in case, I would be careful about washing it (handwashing and air drying) to make sure the tails don't come loose again.

Good luck! I hope you can get it all sorted out and enjoy it. :D
THIS!!!!!!!  YES YES yes.
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline Talismarr

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »
Thanks for the video link Quill!! This is very helpful! You can't really see the tails at all, even though they are a different color! It's strange, it looks like this method was used on the larger blocks, but not the small grey stripes...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal