collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fashion style Ditzy Doo/ :muffin: Pony  (Read 140505 times)

Pinecone

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fashion style Ditzy Doo/ :muffin: Pony
« Reply #975 on: June 02, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »
But beyond that . . . having her as the MLP Fair pony diminishes the connection between MLP collectors and Hasbro, which we have worked hard to build up.  Before, Hasbro took the time to create something special and unique for the Fair.

Perfectly put. That's the thought I've been trying to express but you worded it perfectly.

Though people do seem to be forgetting that Hasbro HAVE done this to us before. Remember the year (2007?) when the fair was given a bunch of leftover Love Wishes as their 'exclusive pony' and the staff had to do something amazing to make them unique.

Granted it's not exactly the same but Hasbro have treated collectors unfairly a few times in the past.

Now I'm imagining a bunch of Hasbro staff hastily repainting extra Bubblecup dolls to make her look more artsy.  :drunk:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 02, 2012, 01:55:24 PM »
I still think a G4 art pony would have been the best compromise. Those who aren't part of the FIM fandom wouldn't be upset with some character they don't know and the FIM fandom wouldn't be upset it is not a current generation pony.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Stroggos

« Reply #977 on: June 02, 2012, 02:04:25 PM »
I'm slightly incredulous that this is such a big issue for people. Good things come and go, and large companies will never be able to relate or understand a community like an individual person.

These things happen, and Hasbro is clearly trying hard with their new fanbase whilst navigating the fallout caused by her show appearance. I grant they seem to be stumbling from offending one person to another right now, but this is a learning curve for a inherently conservative company that's just had the whole Brony thing explode on them.

Hasbro right now is trying to juggle the commitments to the established pre-G4 community, and the new blood that have come in from a different generation, with a completely different outlook and tastes. And to be honest, I think they're doing a good job.

There are both art ponies and Ditzy, and to take offense based on that Ditzy was the "official" the Fair pony is a tad extreme, considering she hasn't actually been named. The toy remains nameless to the best of my knowledge, and just has a picture of a muffin in the date 2012. The box has no name on it. It's kind of hard to claim that :muffin: Pony Hooves is stealing the spotlight when she remains officially anonymous, and there are art ponies as well for a generation that has since past.

Seriously, it's one event and they made a faux pas, which is to be expected from a large corporation. Everyone chill the hell out. To claim it's a "slap in the face" is to make the mistake of assigning emotional motivation to a corporate entity.

Hasbro, in my guestimation, considers MLP Arena a marketing demographic of die hard collectors that punch above their weight in terms of purchases and reputational clout, and tries to build rapport with you as a collector because of this. But when I check the thread to see if there's any updates about my beloved Ditzy, instead I see a load of sadfaces from people who feel like they've been hard done by. Really, Hasbro doing their art pony stuff for you out of courtesy and recognition, not out of any imagined moral obligation to the loose group of collectors, resellers and fans that make up the "community."

I didn't want to make this into a long ranty-type post thing, but honestly, this bothers me. I'm genuinely disappointed and slightly alienated by the lack of perspective shown by other members.

S

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #978 on: June 02, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
I've done my major venting on Facebook as I knew I'd get my head bitten off here, but just to clear a couple of things up.

It's not that we all hate G4 (I know for a fact that most people here love it!), people are disappointed because Hasbro implied they would continue to make exclusive G3 art ponies.  And we HAVE had G3 exclusives for the past two years, even after the regular line changed over to G3.5/G4.  So why would we have any reason to think they would change this now?  We liked to have something a bit different/fancier/more artistic and, once you get the past the meme culture, :muffin: Pony is, at the end of the day, just a regular mono-coloured pony - there is NOTHING special about her if you're not into the show and don't know her story.

It was nice to have all the Art Ponies in the same pose but I realised they wouldn't really keep up with G3 forever more.  I guess I was more disappointed that the exclusive wasn't a specially designed art pony than about what generation it was.  I love the art ponies, especially when they have the year of their release woven into the pattern somehow.

I understand having :muffin: Pony for ComicCon where a lot of bronies will be present, but not for the fair which is not a predominantly FiM-themed event (I know a lot of the newer fans are having a hard time accepting it, but there ARE still a heck of a lot of long-term collectors who probably buy just as much, if not more, merchandise than bronies, many of whom say "we only watch the show/the toys aren't show accurate enough".  It's those people who mainly attend the Pony Fair/UK Ponycon).  In fact, I do not understand sharing ANY exclusive between the events.  Embrace change, sure.  Accept G4 is the current generation, sure.  But how the heck can it be considered improvement when we've had two exclusives for years and suddenly only have one?

I'm actually quite surprised Hasbro are releasing :muffin: Pony at all after all the controversy surrounding her.  I almost wonder if she was to be a general release originally, then the trouble started and they thought, "Darn, we've got all these surplus ponies to shift - how can we get rid of them?  I know, let's make it the exclusive...at two different events!"  Perhaps loads of them will start mysteriously showing up as replacement ponies when people complain about damaged MLPs or will be sold in lots through the website (kind of like the surplus Love Wishes ponies were).

In fact, I read a bit about :muffin: Pony somewhere (and I'm kicking myself as I can't remember where I read it) which indicated that the Comic Con is a preview of what will be a "Hasbro Toy Shop exclusive".  Perhaps they were just referring to the leftovers that they will sell on the site in the days following Comic Con...or maybe she will be readily available from Hasbro Toy Shop after the events (but maybe not in her special presentation box)?  They know there's a lot of bronies who will buy her, so why would they want to limit the run?  Hasbro won't benefit directly from the high prices on the secondary market, after all.  Who knows?
I've done my major venting on Facebook as I knew I'd get my head bitten off here, but just to clear a couple of things up.

It's not that we all hate G4 (I know for a fact that most people here love it!), people are disappointed because Hasbro implied they would continue to make exclusive G3 art ponies.  And we HAVE had G3 exclusives for the past two years, even after the regular line changed over to G3.5/G4.  So why would we have any reason to think they would change this now?  We liked to have something a bit different/fancier/more artistic and, once you get the past the meme culture, :muffin: Pony is, at the end of the day, just a regular mono-coloured pony - there is NOTHING special about her if you're not into the show and don't know her story.

It was nice to have all the Art Ponies in the same pose but I realised they wouldn't really keep up with G3 forever more.  I guess I was more disappointed that the exclusive wasn't a specially designed art pony than about what generation it was.  I love the art ponies, especially when they have the year of their release woven into the pattern somehow.

I understand having :muffin: Pony for ComicCon where a lot of bronies will be present, but not for the fair which is not a predominantly FiM-themed event (I know a lot of the newer fans are having a hard time accepting it, but there ARE still a heck of a lot of long-term collectors who probably buy just as much, if not more, merchandise than bronies, many of whom say "we only watch the show/the toys aren't show accurate enough".  It's those people who mainly attend the Pony Fair/UK Ponycon).  In fact, I do not understand sharing ANY exclusive between the events.  Embrace change, sure.  Accept G4 is the current generation, sure.  But how the heck can it be considered improvement when we've had two exclusives for years and suddenly only have one?

I'm actually quite surprised Hasbro are releasing :muffin: Pony at all after all the controversy surrounding her.  I almost wonder if she was to be a general release originally, then the trouble started and they thought, "Darn, we've got all these surplus ponies to shift - how can we get rid of them?  I know, let's make it the exclusive...at two different events!"  Perhaps loads of them will start mysteriously showing up as replacement ponies when people complain about damaged MLPs or will be sold in lots through the website (kind of like the surplus Love Wishes ponies were).

Agree wit you, I'm shocked she is going to be exclusive for both events.

I find the character very offensive, well at least I'm going to use the money I was saving for both pony events and get some G1s or G2s.

I'm never going to support  that offensive character, as I have met a very kind and smart person who has crossed eyes and learned a lot from him and I will respect him always.

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 02, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
@ Stroggos
Thanks you, that statement was the best in this thread today. :nod:

I don't want to sound like a minimod, but fellow pony collects can we lighten the tone? I feel unwelcome in this enviroment. :(
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 02, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »
@ Stroggos
Double thanks

too scared to post my opinion sometimes on these topics, but glad you could voice your opinion -- because i share the same thoughts.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 02, 2012, 02:59:29 PM »
I think both opinions are valid. It's fine for people to be excited :muffin: Pony is going to be the exclusive for both events. It's also fine for people to be disappointed that it isn't like it was in past years. People are just expressing their feelings here, and I think that's good as long as we stay polite. :)

If you don't feel comfortable in this thread, please feel free to tell us your own feelings on the matter politely, or hold off on commenting until the fervor has died down and you feel more comfortable giving your opinion. :) I think that's the best way to keep this thread informative, up-to-date, and not locked down by the mods.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 02, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
I find the character very offensive, well at least I'm going to use the money I was saving for both pony events and get some G1s or G2s.

How can she be offensive when they fixed her voice and removed all mention of her name being :muffin: Pony from the only appearance she had besides as a background pony? She is only offensive in fannon and fannon is not official unless Hasbro makes it official and thankfully they haven't (except maybe that she likes muffins but there isn't anything offensive about liking muffins).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:09:58 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 02, 2012, 03:19:38 PM »

Everyone chill the hell out.

I'm sorry but didn't you just post a wall of text just to tell people they are not allowed to be annoyed by this?
Taking away the fair EXCLUSIVE, the art ponies and catering mostly to bronies at an event that aims at all generations and at all fans is not something that is all that nice. Hasbro knows very well there is a difference and there is nothing wrong with people politely stating their opinions to Hasbro. After all, isn't that how bronies are getting what they want? By being loud?
I like the :muffin: Pony exclusive but it's not that difficult to see that she is very much aimed at bronies and that taking away the fair exclusive just isn't cool in any way. I mean, two ponies are always better than one. Also, just because the word ":muffin: Pony" isn't written all over the box doesn't make her any less ":muffin: Pony" and doesn't just turn her into an art pony.

Offline MintamenaPie

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sailorangei.livejournal.com/
« Reply #984 on: June 02, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »
(except maybe that she likes muffins but there isn't anything offensive about liking muffins).

As a cupcake lover, I am extremely offended that the box art depicts muffins and demand that they recall and change it.

Art by SpottedSlug and MustBeJewel.

Previously known as Steves_Minty.

Stuntmang

« Reply #985 on: June 02, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »
Can we stop the gen hating? I'm seeing a lot of people bashing bronies or bashing pre-G4 fans ITT.

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #986 on: June 02, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
(except maybe that she likes muffins but there isn't anything offensive about liking muffins).

There is if they're low-fat muffins with creepy poppyseeds!! ICK!!!! XD

and there are art ponies as well for a generation that has since past.

This really isn't true, and thankfully Hasbro knows it - they've once again started selling their wonderful blank ponies, and that's something they've designed purely for collectors (and customizers!)

I totally agree with you that we should be calm and accept what's what ... but Stroggos, I know you meant well, but to use a phrase like "Everyone chill the hell out." ... ouch! That's kind of counterproductive!
:lovey:

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 02, 2012, 03:31:54 PM »
Are they wheat-free, grain-free muffins? 'Cause I been hankering for some baked goods lately.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Stuntmang

« Reply #988 on: June 02, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Now I want some banana muffins, but have none. Damn you all.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 02, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
My own opinion, but I bet a Styling Big Mac would have been pretty cool. Especially if he has his yoke accessory. XD
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal