collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ribbon rehair ~ Ribbon Blossom ~ For sale (KandCSpecialties on etsy)  (Read 4038 times)

DancerKim82

• Trade Count: (0)
I had this great idea last night... (or maybe not so great...the experts can tell me :) )

So, I am trying to come up with something special and unique for my daughter's 1st bday in May. I was going to rehair in bright yarns, or embroidery floss. I will probably not use nylon because IMO she is not old enough to have a doll/pony with nylon hair (she tries to eat it, and she DESTROYS it! I had to re-tail my sons super hero pony because he was sharing with her! lol). 

Anyway, I want to paint cupcakes on the pony and write "happy 1st birthday vivi"(her name is Vivienne) on one side. I plan on using a G1, and I want to use bright colors (you all saw my lollipop custom I just finished, LOL the brighter the better!) Well, I found some ribbon with bright cute cupcakes on it at joann, and I bought it thinking I could incorporate it into the custom somehow. Then I thought ....Maybe I could rehair with RIBBONS!!  :P  all sizes and colors!

My question is ~ does this work, how can I make it work, and how many of you lovely artists have tried??? I would LOVE to see pictures, please!!

Thanks everyone!  :)

Update... I LOVE the ribbons!!!!!! they are the very small satin and grossgrain, using my usual rehair method, didn't have to cut her open! I just used a big doll needle that I use for yarn rehair. and then I sealed the hair with fabritac just like I do all my rehairs, and finally I curled the ribbons, which took forever!! But I think the end result was worth it! she has a small fabric flower (on wire) glued into a hair hole on her head, I used many colors of pinks and purples. I hope you all like her, she is going up for sale I believe! (need money for my habit, uh, I mean hobby! and need space for more ponies, you all understand!  :P ) I will try and get better pics later...I was just so excited I had to take quick pics and post!!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks for looking!

OK, I have decided to sell her, since so many of you lovely folk like her!  :)  Shes on my etsy (with some hopefully better pics) ~ KandCSpecialties for $23. Oh, and I named her Ribbon Blossom

thanks pop-girl!  ;)
[Topics merged :heart: pop-girl]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:30:19 PM by DancerKim82 »

lilacamy931

Re: Ribbon rehair anybody?? Can I see pics please?!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »
i havent tried it but working with ribbon, depending on the type if it is frayable would need to seal or knot the ends so they dont unravel - it is a fab idea and if you go for it, cant wait to see it!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 01:08:27 PM »
Hmm, it might work if you used a rehair tool, I don't think any other methods would work with ribbons. If you're using satin ribbons, you can carefully burn the ends to prevent unravelling, it will melt and seal the ends. Doesn't work for all types of ribbons, though, I've managed to set some on fire by trying this. x)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
Given how tiny the plugs are, I bet you would need to actually widen them quite a bit.. Maybe to the point of even connecting a few of them through an x-acto knife slice. I am honestly not fond of ponies with alternate rehairing, so I have never tried it. But I HAVE seen it done. Ill see if I can locate some pictures. The ones I have seen though were done with curling ribbon.

Stormpony6

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 04:54:46 AM »
Assasin_kitty uses ribbon in her cyber ponies quite often probly check with her she will know

DancerKim82

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »
OK thanks everyone!

jeapos88

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »
here's one i made using ribbons for hair.

i had to cut the hair line open and insert the ribbon, then glue it together, but i'm sure there's a better way 

Offline DevlishSmooch

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »

I cut down both hairlines and across the bottom, leaving the piece attatched only at the top.  Then I glued the middle of the ribbons to the underside of that piece and then glued it back down.  I can try to take a closer pic of her hairline if you'd like, or if you don't really understand what I did I can show you using another bait.  It wasn't very hard at all.

My Customs   WANTED: Non-discolored MO Scribbles (an even, creamy white would do)/MOC Bubbles!     DS Ref Sheet

DancerKim82

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
oh I love them! thanks so much guys! I am working on a 'test' run right now...I will post pics and yall tell me what you think...

DevilishSmooch ~ I may be taking you up on more pics...we will see if I can figure this out, I am off to try it out.

Post Merge: February 28, 2012, 06:15:08 AM

Pics!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:15:08 AM by DancerKim82 »

DancerKim82

UPDATE on Ribbon rehair! I DID IT!!! ***PICS***
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 06:21:19 AM »
Update... So she has no name, and her paint job I literally threw together (hope its not too sucky! lol I just wanted to focus on the hair really) I LOVE the ribbons!!!!!! they are the very small satin and grossgrain, using my usual rehair method, didn't have to cut her open! I just used a big doll needle that I use for yarn rehair. and then I sealed the hair with fabritac just like I do all my rehairs, and finally I curled the ribbons, which took forever!! But I think the end result was worth it! she has a small fabric flower (on wire) glued into a hair hole on her head, I used many colors of pinks and purples. I hope you all like her, she is going up for sale I believe! (need money for my habit, uh, I mean hobby! and need space for more ponies, you all understand!   ) I will try and get better pics later...I was just so excited I had to take quick pics and post!!visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks for looking, I tried bumping my other message...I couldn't get it to come up so I made a new one, I hope thats OK. If not, let me know! :)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE on Ribbon rehair! I DID IT!!! ***PICS***
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 06:26:45 AM »
Cool!
:socks:   :frog:

Offline daizysellers

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE on Ribbon rehair! I DID IT!!! ***PICS***
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 06:28:51 AM »
I think she looks really cool and pretty!

DancerKim82

Re: Ribbon rehair anybody? **UPDATE WITH PICS** I DID IT!!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 06:36:38 AM »
oh, thanks for adding to my original!! :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:38:54 AM by DancerKim82 »

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:44:49 AM »
She looks great!  I love her bold colors, the different ribbon textures, and the curls!

jeapos88

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 07:05:29 AM »
ooooh! so pretty!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal