collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: RIT DYE HELP: A question for the experts!  (Read 850 times)

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
RIT DYE HELP: A question for the experts!
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:15:38 AM »
Hi all!

I need some help concerning Rit Dye. I have never used it and I'm having some difficulties selecting the colours I need.

I have to dye three ponies:

Locket into Twilight
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Baby Glory into Spanish Baby Pinwheel

Sunlight into Nightlight

The thing is I've been going through ebay and looking at the different possible colours.... BUT! I have read that sometimes when you dye a pony the colour can change...

So, what Rit Dye colours would you suggest for these ponies I want to make? Two of them (TE Twilight and Nightlight) are commissions, so I would like them to be as near to the real colour as possible.

And as for Spanish Baby Pinwheel... as you can see in the photo NC and Spanish Pinwheel have two different shades of fuchsia, so something between those or even a little lighter would be ok.

And one last question!! I have seen two types of Rit Dye: Powder and liquid. Witch one do you recommend for this task?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: RIT DYE HELP: A question for the experts!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:43:43 AM »
I suggest paint, for the following reasons.

That said.. As was suggested in another thread, try using vinegar to help set your RIT dye. Multiple people have had problems with the blue, so you might want to try a different brand. The picture I linked to is what a blue dye job looked like after 5 years. Other people have reported dye jobs of 2 years old as OK, and at least one other reported another dye job about 5 years old as fading.

Be aware that the dye can bleed from the pony, into your paint. So If I were you, I would hold on to her at least a week after painting to make sure the dye doesn't bleed. Especially if these are commissions.

Also, if you let the dyed ponies touch other ponies, it can stain the other ponies.

I'm not a fan of dying, but that's my two cents for what it's worth. Best of luck to you!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:15:41 AM »
One bit of good news is that it "seems" like ppl have less challenges dyeing G1s as opposed to the g3s. 

Dislaimer: I am not experienced much with dyeing ponies.  lol.  I prefer dyeing hair :P

With dye, you have to consider the original color of the pony in your formula.  For Twilight, maybe a dash of royal blue and petal pink?  Try to start by adding very little blue, you can always go darker once the color is right, and slowly. 

Nightlight kinda looks like a double dose of Royal Blue, but again I'd go slowly. 

Pinwheel maybe fuchia + a dab of violet?

Regrind, cancer, etc. will not be removed with dye.  Make sure to rub pony down with rubbing alcohol to remove any leftover acetone.  It can help to add a teaspoon or so of vinegar to the dye bath to help the dye set after the pony has been in it for several minutes.  Crystal rit seems to be stronger, but there is a greater chance for it to be uneven if particles are not fully mixed.  If you can, let the ponies sit for weeks or months to really let the dye cure.

Dyeing is an art form!  If you can, it helps to have test baits.  Have fun!

Whew!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
For Locket/Twilight I would use Evening Blue.

For Baby Glory/Pinwheel I would use Fuscia (lots)!

I would also use Evening Blue and a little Navy for Sunlight/Nightlight

Best of luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal