collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Nail Polish as Paint?  (Read 2458 times)

deeleelambbaa

• Trade Count: (0)
Nail Polish as Paint?
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
I think I've read it on this arena before, someone using nail polish on a custom as paint and decoration, but I was just wondering if anyone would like to tell me if they've tried it, how it turned out, and if you'd advise me to try.
You see, I've gotten a nail decorating set with very fine detailing nail polish pens that I figure would be very useful with small and fine work on my customs.
Tell me what you think, please!  ^.^

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Nail Polish as Paint?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
Hi!

Nail polish brushes, neat!  Nail polish on ponies, not neat.  lol
Nail polish is oil based (enamel).  On pony plastic it won't really ever set completely and leads to excessive stickiness and/or cracking. 

Offline Firebyrd

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firebyrd.net
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »
Never, ever use nail polish on ponies.  It's not the right kind of paint, it's not meant to be permanent, and the results are always terrible.

deeleelambbaa

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »
:o oh...well goodness, thank you so much for warning me!
You saved me :,) ♥

Offline Firebyrd

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firebyrd.net
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
You're welcome!  If you want to get fine details, get a really nice real sable brush that's 5/0 or 7/0.  They're relatively expensive, but last for decades if properly cared for and are waaaaay better than the stuff you get from Michael's.  They make it so much easier to do fine details with the way they can hold such a fine point.  If you don't overload the brush with paint, you can get pinprick dots that are barely even visible with them.  That's how I painted a Chibi Yum Yum.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deeleelambbaa

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:28:42 PM »
wow, awesome! I think my smallest brush right now is a 2/0, so I'd definitely be willing to invest in some smaller brushes. Very fine, small detail is the most awe-inspiring aspect of most of the customs I see on here, so I strive to achieve ultimate finery! Thank you so much for the advice!  ^.^

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »
I never tried it but I read somewhere that if you put it on top of paint it would be okay but never on bare vinyl.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:50:24 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
I've been told it turns out okay, but since nail polish isn't meant to be permanent it'll start chipping off (or even just completely falling off!) after a few days. 0_o
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
I always thought the reason nail polish chips so much on nails is because we use our hands all the time. Fingernails take a lot more abuse than a pony on display.

Just remember never put nail polish directly on a pony.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:54:18 PM by Wardah »

Av by Moonflower.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »
i think its just best not to use nail polish anyway T.T on top of paint or not, I think acrylic paint is relatively affordable and looks a lot more natural, nail polish hardens and makes noticeable built up layers. you just cant control it as well as you can acrylic.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Darkhorse

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Customizing Crazzzyyynesssss
    • View Profile
    • www.darkhorsecustommylittleponies.com
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 09:31:11 PM »
I've used nail polish on the apoxie sculpt, but never directly on the pony.  Here are a couple of pix, the super glittery blue areas are the nail polish.  Using an Acrylic Triple Thick to seal the polish works just fine :)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:33:04 PM by Darkhorse »

Offline hlbmlp

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
when in elementary i customized some g2 mcdonald ponies... so over 10 years ago.. with nailpolish, some paint and white out.  DONT DO IT!!!! the ponies are now stained gross, sticky and chipped. not so great anymore. only two worked and i had painted under the nail polish with acrylic for one,  and just covered another one with clear glitter nail polish. I believe they live out of pure luck!  sharpies pens are also a bad idea... really weird looking after so many years. :<  Paint pens though are the best! Love them!  they come in all different colors and sizes.
My Etsy . My Blog

If i owe you feedback pm me, my brain is not always here.

thanks kiwisquirtbottle for helping with codes!!! <3

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 10:31:35 PM »
I can understand why some people want to use nail polish tho. Sometimes nail polishes come in fun glitters or holos that you just can't get an acrylic paint in. I don't know why the acrylic paint makers don't make a holo paint. I know I would buy it.

Oh and another thing, If they are not sealed they will be sticky as all get out.

Av by Moonflower.

DancerKim82

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 06:21:18 AM »
I can understand why some people want to use nail polish tho. Sometimes nail polishes come in fun glitters or holos that you just can't get an acrylic paint in. I don't know why the acrylic paint makers don't make a holo paint. I know I would buy it.

Oh and another thing, If they are not sealed they will be sticky as all get out.

Me too! I have been sooooooo tempted to buy nail polish (I was at Sallys Beauty yesterday...!) But...I have heard so many horror stories, I figured it wasnt worth risking, especially if I were to try it and love the results! I wish paints had more glittery variety...

A good thing you can try for fine lines ~ Use nail art brushes! Thats how I do my fine lines. I am by NOOOO means good at it yet! I am new to customs myself...I am still getting the feel for the different brushes. So that being said, when my fine lines look awry, it has nothing to do with my brushes and more to do with my painting and lack of expertise! :)

I found a set on ebay with like 15 nail art brushes for I think 2$! I bought 2 pkgs so I'd have a spare when these started going, but if you can't find some send me a PM, I'd be happy to send you my extra pack! I never used any brushes out of it. Just let me know if you are interested! :) Good luck!

I found the link on ebay: [size=78%]http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Nail-Art-Design-Brushes-Set-Painting-Pen-Polish-Tips-/360413361143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ea4f73f7#ht_1351wt_1163[/size]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:25:04 AM by DancerKim82 »

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »
I like the idea of using it on top of apoxie, those looks great. Still not sure I'd ever try it though, it just makes me nervous!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal