collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: BJD FAQ  (Read 20996 times)

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: BJD FAQ
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »
putting him on a senior delf body is only going to get him an extra centimeter, if that. Souldoll heads tend to be on the smaller side, so you honestly may only even get less than a centimeter.

It's really not going to be that noticeable.

And yes, companies that do not sell heads separately tend to be a bit harder to find on the secondhand market.

going by my research, no heads have ever been sold separately on the secondhand market, but I did find someone who went out looking for one and found one after, it appears, 5 months of searching. I don't know, however, where they found it.

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »
D8 so it is howl's big fat head that makes him taller? Grr... now I have to decide, sculpt vs height...

Oh! also, are souldoll's good posers?

Knibitz

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »
the souldoll double is hailed as one of the best posing bodies produced.

SuniMoon

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »
Anyone know where I can get a good carrying bag, in stock, at a not ridiculous price? Dollzones looked nice, and Mint on Card had the MSD bag in stock, but then I got an 70cm, and I need a much larger bag.

That, or any idea for a good, inexpensive, alternative to keep my boys safe.
I've been looking at every suitcase and duffle bag I see, lately, taking measurements. xD

I would just pre-order the SD dollzone bag, but I need something before April.

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
Yay for another silly question... if you get a doll with a factory face-up, do they come with eyelashes? (not the painted ones of course, but the tiny "realistic" ones on the upper lid)

CrystalLance

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2012, 10:37:55 PM »
Yay for another silly question... if you get a doll with a factory face-up, do they come with eyelashes? (not the painted ones of course, but the tiny "realistic" ones on the upper lid)

The one time I ordered a factory face up (Dollmore) the doll came with the glued in eyelashes and it has been the same for everyone else I have known who has done so. Hope that helps :).

Offline Private_Bubbles

• Scribbles Pony
  • I'm Bubbles, Private Bubbles.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 03:49:39 AM »
I'm a complete newbie to BJDs, I've never owned one or seen one in real life, but I love their detail and customization abilities and poseability and everything. I considered getting a Pullip or Dal once 9I know, not a BJD but still) but they're a bit out of my price range, as I'm currently a poor student :P

So I've been looking at BJDs, from that list that Knibitz posted, trying to find dolls that are more in my price range (under $100) and still great detail and quality.

In my search I came across the 11cm baby Hujoo dolls, and they have really caught my eye.

The one I like the most is Suve, but not with that hair and eye colour.

I'm not completely sure that I'm going to get her yet, but I do have a few questions about Hujoo dolls and BJDs in general:

• What are the main things I should know about BJDs as someone who has had no experience with them before?
  • Where is the best place to buy the Hujoo baby dolls?
    (They're on the Hujoo site and Junky Spot, and I've heard people on here mention getting things from Junky Spot before...)
  • Where is the best place to buy eyes and wigs?
    (I know they take 10mm eyes and size 4-5 wigs).
  • Does anyone here have 11cm Hujoo dolls that I can see pics of?

Thanks for reading this :D

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2012, 06:37:58 AM »
I don't know much about Hujoos. I looked at the Berry's when they first came out but I couldn't pay that much for a plastic girl, when I could get a resin for not much more.

I will however, say that JunkySpot is an amazing company. I've ordered from them a lot and not only do they ship incredibly fast, Emory is a doll to work with.

My first BJD was a Bobobie Elfkin. They're a good size and actually really good quality for the price. I'm actually looking at getting another as a sister to my Pukifee.

Knibitz

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2012, 09:17:34 AM »
for doll bags, I honestly recomend tripod bags :) 
Some are padded, some aren't.
I have an unpadded manfroto tripod bag and pack it with 2-4 pillows from the doll boxes.
If you were really concerned, you could buy the tripod bag and some foam, flip the bag inside out, and then glue or sew the foam down to the inside, and then use pillows with that.

My bag held my 70cm with no problem, I used to carry, a 70cm, SD, MSD, and two tinies in it all the time xD

you can find tripod bags for cheap on ebay :)
Some are drop cases with a drawstring, but many are an actual zipper bag.

Eyelashes - yes, every company that I've ever head of doing factory face ups does lashes (at least for human dolls, but even most anthro dolls come with lashes)  that being said. Almost none of my dolls have lashes. Kayson does because she needs them for her character (they're big thick lashes that I installed myself - just used a pair of human lashes from walmart) and then Seneca has her defaults. No one else has them though.

I've played with a sueve and wasn't impressed. You're really getting 35$ worth of doll. The joints don't fit that well together, it doesn't pose well, the face up wasn't worth keeping (the one I saw was getting default face up taken off and repainted since the buyer of the doll didn't find the factory one satisfactory), and it's made of cheap materials.

Unfortunately this really isn't a hobby where you can spend less and still get quality. this doesn't mean just resin quality, this can be any combination of company reputation, face up quality, freebies that come with the doll, posing ability, how your doll is packed/shipped, etc.  You pay for what you get, a budget of only 100$ is going to limit you to next to nothing.

I personally wouldn't recommend this hobby to anyone who isn't ready to invest at least 300$ outright (covering the doll, and quality you'll want clothes, wigs, eyes, etc... even with a 100$ doll, you can easily drop two times that getting clothes and such)

What are the main things I should know about BJDs as someone who has had no experience with them before?
There's a lot to learn, and a lot of different ways of doing this hobby, just do your own thing and don't let people tell you different.

Where is the best place to buy the Hujoo baby dolls?
seconding vertefae on junkyspot

(They're on the Hujoo site and Junky Spot, and I've heard people on here mention getting things from Junky Spot before...)
Where is the best place to buy eyes and wigs?
(I know they take 10mm eyes and size 4-5 wigs).
If you read back, and I think on the FAQ page I link to lists of places to buy eyes/wigs.

Does anyone here have 11cm Hujoo dolls that I can see pics of?
I don't own one.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:22:26 AM by Knibitz »

Offline Private_Bubbles

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
Thanks for the info Knibitz, I'd just heard some good reviews about Suve (and the others) and thought it would be a good sort of introductory doll to the hobby in a way (and I think they're adorable :) ) I guess the thing is that I don't want to spend a lot of money on a doll and then realise that I don't like it as well, maybe I'm just too cautious? :/
It's great to hear your perspective :D

Vertefae, the Bobobie Elfkin looks great, i might look further into them :D

Knibitz

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
IF she's really what you want then I would say go for it.
My perspective really comes from comparing to other companies, and comparing to my personal standards of what is worth my money.

XD I would hope people don't take my opinions as golden XD

As long as your comfortable spending the money on her, then she's your doll :) It's just not a doll I'd personally recommend to someone, as the quality is quite a bit lower than what I've experienced with other dolls.

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
I just want to clarify a couple of things...I think you've said that SOME Barbie shirts and things will fit MSD girls, right?  I'm guessing the stretchier pieces, lol.  Also, I have a few pairs of those cute Converse-style sneakers that are super-popular with Pullips...will those fit MSD feet?  I have a pair that's WAY too big for my Pullip feet, and I'm wondering if they'll fit.   

ETA - also, thanks SO much for the tip about the tripod case.  That's awesome.  I'll definitely be super paranoid and sew some foam or something on the inside, lol.  Do they have straps in them to secure everything down?  Dunno if that would make sense with a tripod case or not...haha
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:37:30 PM by barbgirl1999 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Private_Bubbles

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
IF she's really what you want then I would say go for it.
My perspective really comes from comparing to other companies, and comparing to my personal standards of what is worth my money.

XD I would hope people don't take my opinions as golden XD

As long as your comfortable spending the money on her, then she's your doll :) It's just not a doll I'd personally recommend to someone, as the quality is quite a bit lower than what I've experienced with other dolls.

Well a few people have said that she's a good starting out doll, and I do like her look.

I think it's great to get a lot of opinions :D

Knibitz

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2012, 09:11:17 PM »
I just want to clarify a couple of things...I think you've said that SOME Barbie shirts and things will fit MSD girls, right?  I'm guessing the stretchier pieces, lol.  Also, I have a few pairs of those cute Converse-style sneakers that are super-popular with Pullips...will those fit MSD feet?  I have a pair that's WAY too big for my Pullip feet, and I'm wondering if they'll fit.   

ETA - also, thanks SO much for the tip about the tripod case.  That's awesome.  I'll definitely be super paranoid and sew some foam or something on the inside, lol.  Do they have straps in them to secure everything down?  Dunno if that would make sense with a tripod case or not...haha

*rageface* I TOTALLY REPLIED TO THIS EARLIER TODAY! *rage*

some tripod cases come with straps, others dont.
Mine doesn't have straps, but I make sure my bag is either up right or flat, so my dolls don't really slide around in it.

They have always been fine except for the one time I stepped on my bag and broke a hand.  But... I stepped on my bag XD I was asking for it!

some stretchy barbie clothes will fit MSDs, but only "slim" msds.  Slim MSD's are a category of MSD that are generally a little more mature and often thinner than their childish normal MSD. Dolls like Minifees, Resinsoul/Bobobie, and Dollzone girls are slim msds.  dolls from companies like volks and luts have very childish dolls and generally plumper bodies.
Some barbie clothes also fit the YOSD variety.

an MSD foot, I would say, is about the length of a pullip forearm. if that helps any.

Offline WeepingPiano

• Medieval Merpony
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
I am about to be ordering my first BJD and now I am wondering, what is up with box opening videos? Do people really like to see them?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal