collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: smooth painting; not easy.  (Read 4534 times)

mana-maiden

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: smooth painting; not easy.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
Actually, the problem may only be that you're not letting each individual layer completely dry before applying the next.

When applying layers, all you have to do is make sure there's no streaks or lumps in the paint, and make them as thin as possible. They'll look thin and horrid for at least the first 3-4 layers, but after the 6th layer it'll all start making sense. :) Just got to make sure every single layer dries completely, before applying the next!

Offline Firebyrd

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firebyrd.net
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »
If I'm going to do a full body repaint without an airbrush, I actually do it with drybrushing.  I find it works better as I'm rather impatient.  No way could I bear to thin paint out to almost nothing and do six layers over an entire pony!

Offline Bladespark

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sparkcostumes.com
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 01:03:11 PM »
OOh! OH OH OH!! Dragon! *makes grabby hands* I want it! So pretty! It reminds me of the style of M. Pena. I love that!

That's because it IS the style of M. Pena.  :)
http://windstoneeditions.com/catalog/paint-your-own

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
You can try something we do in the model horse world and that is called socking.  Once fully dry you take a clean old sock and buff and rub all over till you get a smooth finish. 
i do similar but with an old washrag.  though i have to pay attention because i have rubbed through paint before :/

i was just wondering what i was going to use to smooth out the body of my pony last night knowing that if i used sandpaper i would mess her up pretty bad..

i cant wait to try these methods tonight!

It works very well, I can not link to where it is explained better as the forum it is on is for paid members.  I know a lot of folks do it though, more for pastel painters but it can work well for other mediums. I used to use steel wool, super fine but it is hard to find and rather messy.  The sock method does work great though.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »
Thanks my beloved pony friends to help me out! :lovey:

I think i can use new tips you guys gave me ;) By the way; i use Amsterdam Acrylic to paint with. Someone i know uses it and makes the most beautiful customs i've seen! So i think the paint's not the problem, i am :nod:
Oh, and it happens with EVERY color of paint  :huh:

Some pictures of my customs, but it's not really visible how un-even the body is

The first customs i made (ignore the right baby's eyes, lol :P )
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This one came out a bit better than the rest

Latest custom i did (well, finished. I did 2 after this one but got so frustrated i didn't finish them)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:05:15 PM by hokuspokus »

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
They do not look that bad, when you are working are you wearing gloves or bare handed?  I ask as one person I know years ago had an issue with a material we both used.  Turns out her hands where rather oily and by changing to gloves she was able to beat the problem.  This also might be a case where using a spray primer underneath might give you a hand.  Some ponies are going to suck in more paint in areas then others hence the need for multi coats to get an even tone.  That is why I prime, it seals in the pony and allows an even coat.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »
OOh! OH OH OH!! Dragon! *makes grabby hands* I want it! So pretty! It reminds me of the style of M. Pena. I love that!

That's because it IS the style of M. Pena.  :)
http://windstoneeditions.com/catalog/paint-your-own

Wow. I had no idea that those existed. As much as I love his sculptures, I have never been able to afford them. I have only just admired them.. for like.. 13 years or so.

Offline hokuspokus

• Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »
They do not look that bad, when you are working are you wearing gloves or bare handed?  I ask as one person I know years ago had an issue with a material we both used.  Turns out her hands where rather oily and by changing to gloves she was able to beat the problem.  This also might be a case where using a spray primer underneath might give you a hand.  Some ponies are going to suck in more paint in areas then others hence the need for multi coats to get an even tone.  That is why I prime, it seals in the pony and allows an even coat.

I work bare handed, so i might also give the gloves a try, thanks!

mana-maiden

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »
Quote from: firebyrd
No way could I bear to thin paint out to almost nothing and do six layers over an entire pony!

That's too bad. :( PrincessOfDarkness's methods have always worked so well for me.

SasukeRoxMySox2

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 03:19:44 AM »
I tried using sandpaper and wanted to smash my head on a wall for messing everything up.
If I may suggest..if you're ainting a pony all one colour you could try the dipping method?
If you mix paint near the consistancy of blood (not thin, just a little gloopy) and put it in a deep pot or something then dip the pony right in then leave to dry? I've done it with a few customs and it turns out really nice. Especially if you paint a thin coat of white on first then dip a couple of layers on :3
Or if you don't want to waste that much paint you can mix enough up then spoon it over the pony, it has the same effect but you just have to makes sure it runs all over the pony evenly.
The only con's about this is that you have to somehow hang the pony and let the excess paint drip off (usually i just stick a long stick in the body and leave it in a vase over newspaper). You have to carefully brush away excess paint from the eyes and nostrils, and hooves so you dont loose any detailing in the pony itself.
And you have to beware of air bubbles in the paint, and obviously its not the most cost efficient way of doing it but so far I've had fantastic results.

My patronous pony was fully dipped into a pot of paint
http://sasukeroxmysox2.deviantart.com/gallery/24658079#/d3f6gjf

And my Spyro had paint spooned over it, then had all the details hand painted.
http://sasukeroxmysox2.deviantart.com/gallery/24658079#/d3fkxsh

Sweet Leaf

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »
I'm having troubles getting a smooth coat of paint on my G4 pony I'm working on. I using "Folk Art" brand paint since it was the middle ground for expence versus size at my local craft store. I will admit the brushes i bought aren't the best grade but I'm on a tight budget for this hobby. If I thin the paint too much it just kinda beads off but if I don't thin it enough I get streaks. A freind of mine recomended me going and buying some acrylic spray primer and put a coat or 2 of that on before I start laying down color, though my current project requires a white coat. Im extremely frustrated at this point.

Also a bit off topic, whats a good product for a clearcoat protective finish?

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
I have noticed that the G4 onies have spots, mainly around the legs, where the paint just doesn't want to stick. It beads off and rolls away, but sticks elsewhere. I let it dry and go over it again. Eventually, that spot gets covered, but it takes a LOT of layers.

For a white pony, working in thin coats (which is best no matter what color), you are going to do many many coats. They will be streaky, and splotchy at first, but the more you add, the better they get. The more even the paint gets.

Other people have suggested buffing the paint job with a sock or a soft rag, to get rid of brush strokes after it is COMPLETELY dry. Do it gently. I haven't tried it myself, but it works for others :)

Also, I hear Mod Podge thinned out to the consistency of milk works good, and Testors Dulcote .. Which I may or may not have spelled right.. Are both very popular choices. I haven't settled on a sealer yet myself. I have used a few different brands that I hated, or just left the paint unsealed. I'll be using Mod Podge next time I seal a job though. I tested it on an experiment pony, and it dried nice and clear.

Sweet Leaf

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
I may take some super fine sandpaper and sand down the pony a bit before painting so the paint has more to adhere to. Also I may try the sock method and just slap on some thick-ish coats...

Offline hokuspokus

• Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »
Thanks, SRMS & Maniah! I think i can give it a try ;)

I'm glad everyone is so helpful and other paint strugglers can take the advice too!

I'm also struggling with detailed painting so i might come back, begging for new info ;) I'm like a sponge; i take all the info right in :nod:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal