collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HOLY Cuss Words!! WhaT is going on with the FiM PLUSHIES!?!?!  (Read 15594 times)

Offline BigBrotherPony

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: HOLY Cuss Words!! WhaT is going on with the FiM PLUSHIES!?!?!
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
Some of these plushies are amazing!

I was bidding on a gorgeous talking Big Mac a while ago, but I missed the end of the bid and he was sold to someone else. Unfortunately I deleted the item from my didn't win list.... Does anyone know who made him as I am thinking about asking them to make me a commission.

I am in someways so glad that fans are making such good quality plush toys.... and that they are earning what they deserve for them through these auctions.

To be honest I have never bought a single HASBRO licensed plush as I have never really liked any of them, and they don't seem to get any better! Those recent talking Twilight and Pinkie Pie Canterlot plushies were little monsters!

Lol. I'd love to someday have the entire cast of FIM fan plushies all in one big heavenly, soft ,fluffy, big squishy room!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »
I just hope these people selling fan made items don't get hit with lawsuits by Hasbro =p I think the plushies are awesome, but it's not their characters to make money off of.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2012, 08:19:52 PM »
Yeah, people are really talented.  I doubt Hasbro will sue.  If anything, they're noticing the fan demand for things and arranging the new figures like Nightmare Moon etc.

I love my custom plushes that I bought but I would never pay that much...   I think some just get caught in the frenzy of bidding.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline EminentZephyr

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
Holy smokes!!  :shocked:

My computer broke down last month and I haven't made much time for the computer since late last year anyways... I'm just now finally getting back on more regularly and such... and uh yeah, wow.

To come back and see all of this?

oh my gosh! :lol:

Granted, yes, I see some serious skill put into these homemade plushies but just ...wow!! To even imagine what life would be like to so easily afford anything you want and at such flashy prices! Congrats to all the winners and way to go to all the sellers... excuse me now but I think I'm going to go look into taking a sewing class... xD

(do they even have such classes??) lol

:lmao:

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 10:58:55 PM »
Yes yes all the seemstresess are very talented but im pretty sure thier talent isnt causing these insane prices... its the insane bidders!!
and more power to ya seemstresses!!! milk this trend for all its worth ;)!!
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline lizstaley

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Queen of the Giant Robots!
    • View Profile
    • http://adrastuscomic.com
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 02:27:32 AM »
Makes me wish I was still making plushies. I couldn't even sell one hand-sewn, hand-painted plush for $30-40 a few years ago, which is part of the reason why I stopped. (And I had to get a day job, so with that and my comic I don't have much free time on my hands) Congrats to the talented people getting paid what their good work is worth!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2012, 04:46:44 AM »
If I had a pattern I could sew these really well... it's the pattern I can't make :P lol!

These plushies are amazing, I wish I had the pattern-making skills to do some! I might give it a shot though ;)

Offline littlexflitter

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sparklesugar.com/
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 06:22:14 AM »
I think these fan-made plush toys are much nicer in quality and accuracy than any that Hasbro would be interested in making, and thus they capture high prices because they're sold in limited quantities but so many people are interested in owning one. I think it's great to see that the craftspeople who make the plushies are being fairly compensated for their work--too often handcrafted work of this nature is sold at a pitifully low price that barely covers the creator's materials and they receive no money for their time and effort. I'm sure that most of these plushie creators will not offer most of their toys on commission because they know they could currently make more money via auction--and I think there is so much demand for cute stuffed animals of the various canon and fan-made ponies that the potential workload would seem overwhelming.

Offline posy646

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 06:45:18 AM »
Oh my goodness! There are no words. They are beautiful but... I'm calling my mom and asking her to make me one :P

creampuf

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »
I just hope these people selling fan made items don't get hit with lawsuits by Hasbro =p I think the plushies are awesome, but it's not their characters to make money off of.

Fan art copyright law suits are VERY rare, due to the fact that pieces of art will not have an economic impact to the licensed merchandise. Most companies don't bother with these because fan art fuels a community of supporters and provides a mass amount of free publicity for the copyright holders.

in a legal sense, yeah Hasbro could have a field day with the artists but the affect it would have to the company and it's target consumption audience would be worth so much more than the fan art in question.

It's a delicate balancing act between the copyright holder, the artist and the communities. Ultimately it's Hasbro's decision on what they want to do.

I can tell you that if Hasbro had major issues they would not of allowed the sales of fan art to happen under their own roof at the MLP Convention. Heck Hasbro artists judged the art and custom competitions with categories like Hasbro inspired.

aerie_star

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »
I think the plushies are neat. I wouldn't buy one for that kind of money, but I really like seeing what's been made ^^ Some of the details are just wonderful.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2012, 10:14:27 AM »
Yea I really don't know what to think of this. I am happy for the person that makes such high quality items but I don't see down the road any collectibility in these that the money would be returned should one need to sell.  Since its not licensed..I mean beautiful..but what will happen down the road?  We have some wonderful artists out there..but as I have seen with artist type dolls..there is this huge rage and then the bottom opens up and you have all this stuff you spent so much money on that no one will ever want again...that really bothers me.  Beautiful work...no doubt. Congrats to the creator. Beautiful job and you deserve to be paid for your hard work.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:17:27 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline medleysong

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
I have been watching these auctions for a while because it is more exciting to watch than reality television :) I have gotten scary good at predicting which ones will go for 300+ There is some REALLY talented people making these plushies. I actually sent a bunch of links to a couple of my co-workers' wives who sew to try and get them on board. Non-pony collectors think it is insanity but I have been educating them in all things FIM lol.

Offline Anitas_Mom

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »
I have been making MLP G1 and G4 plush for a couple of years now and I sell excusively to the pony community for a reasonalbe price ($30 - $40 range).  I am retired and enjoy making them.  But most of all, I love the fact that people like my work and want to buy them. 

Kudos to the artists who are cashing in on the FiM character frenzy currently on e-Bay, but I think I will continue to do it my way.   :biggrin:

Handmade Plushies For Sale | Please PM me for Commission Information

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
I could understand them being so high because they worked hard making them look right. Speaking of which, apparently these eBay auctions can't have MLP or FiM in the title because of copyright or something silly as one seller had to take down the auction or something and have it not include that. I read about this from a dA user.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal