collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: does the type of shampoo matter?  (Read 6101 times)

lovekangaroo

• Trade Count: (0)
does the type of shampoo matter?
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »
so, does the yep of shampoo you use to clean a pony's hair really matter, or is one just as good as another?

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
Re: does the type of shampoo matter?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
I use cheap stuff  :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 03:18:51 PM »
I've never really noticed a difference with what I use, but I prefer to use ones without dye because I'm paranoid. xD

However I have some cheap purple conditioner that I used on a TAF Sundance with faded hair, and it temporarily repinked it (its never changed any other pony's hair color).

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:38:01 PM »
I use what's left of the bottle when we humans are done with it.  You'd be amazed how much you can get out of the bottle if you add water to an "empty" - then it's slightly diluted and you'll be able to use it for several dozen ponies.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »
I've just been using whatever soap I use to wash the pony. :x I also use cheaper conditioner too. Just herbal essences stuff. I used my really good salon conditioner but it just weighed the ponys hair down too much. The stuff I use does the job, smells nice with the natural pony smell and of course helps tackle flyaways and tangles. :D

Basically the hair is plastic. So you can throw the most expensive anti-frizz hair treatment stuff on it... but it's plastic. It's not going to absorb anything like human hair does. It's just going to wash right off taking the dirt with it. Nicer shampoos might be less harsh, but then again, it's still plastic. As long as you're not roughly scrubbing and mangling the hair, it should be fine.

(also click for my sales here. :3)

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:47:09 PM »
I use what's left of the bottle when we humans are done with it.  You'd be amazed how much you can get out of the bottle if you add water to an "empty" - then it's slightly diluted and you'll be able to use it for several dozen ponies.  :)

this is a great idea :) I also use the little travel sized ones that you can pick up for like $1 at Target or Walmart. Those last forever when it comes to ponies :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

ZettaMomo

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
I just use my regular shampoo on my ponies. If you are concerned about the dyes of the shampoo I believe Sauve (which is a brand you can get at most dollar stores or grocery stores) has a type called Daily Clarifying that might be good for ponies since it does not appear to have a dye to it.

toralei

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »
Depends on the conditioner you use and what you're doing with it (the shampoo)

If you're trying to remove a conditioner with silicones in it, the shampoo should probably have SLS in it. Cones are not water soluble and require this to get it out.

Otherwise I think anything is fine.

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
Yes, of course it matters! Ponies don't like "man-ish" shampoos. They prefer girly shampoo in floral or fruit scents :)

I actually don't use shampoo on my ponies unless their hair is visibly dirty or their body is so gross I'm concerned about the state of their hair. So when I use shampoo, I just use whatever is closest at the time. (Remember though, no gross manly scents! :P ) Usually I just use conditioner though, which is usually a big cheap bottle from the dollar store. Works great!

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »
I just use the same shampoo that I use on my own hair :) It tends to be dye safe, but other than that any brand has been fine.

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »
I don't use shampoo.  I just use conditioner.  I buy it from Dollar Tree.  Although its cheap, its smells really good--like apple blossom, which makes the ponies' hair smell good.

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
Dish soap is best for cleaning pony hair. Fabric softener also works way better than conditioner. Pony hair is plastic and is not at all like human hair. It's best to avoid any build up and just use cleaning products.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
I use cheap stuff.....like Suave apple scented conditioner. I love the way it smells...yummy!

I thought about trying the whole fabric softener thing. It makes sense.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 07:36:38 PM »
I use whatever shampoo I have at the time, but I really like the herbal essances "hello hydration" one for the scent :lovey:  I prefer Dove conditioner... but yeah i dont really think it matters whether you use a cheap one or and expensive one TBH :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
Shampoo I tend to use whatever happens to be lying around (most recently, I think it was baby shampoo) but I'm much more picky about conditioner - I like Herbal Essences Coconut Conditioner because it rinses well but Target stopped selling it.  Lately I've been using Pantene Pro-V for relaxed hair which also seems to rinse well.  The really cheap conditioners (Suave, Vo-5) did not work for me at all.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal