collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair Styling Questions  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Hair Styling Questions
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:05:42 PM »
For the longest time, I was a fan of using Katsilk hair and leaving it straight, because it was easy. Then I realized how pretty I could get hair by using a boil perm.. Then I started doing full body repaints and I realized there was a flaw in my plans..

When doing a boil perm with a full body repaint, the hot water softens the paint and the hair presses down into it (Especially if I do a neck wrap), leaving creases in the paint. Sometimes it discolors the paint and I have to spend time doing touch ups and trying not to get it in the hair..

So my question to all of you is: How do you style your ponies hair if it has a full body repaint, and you don't want to leave it straight?

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
Re: Hair Styling Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
I'm always afraid of this happening when I style my ponies hair and it's had a FBR, but I always style very last thing, after sealing and I've never had a problem!! Are you sealing before styling? If so, what are you using to seal? I use Modge Podge, almost exclusively and it's always worked beautifully for me. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »
I must not be aware of some sort of sealer Mod Podge makes.. I just have a jar of their Matte-Mat which I use to secure rooted hair. What specifically do they call the sealer? KNowing my luck its "Sealer"  >_<

Some ponies I do not seal, and some ponies I do. When I do, I have been using the Testors brand clear gloss.

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
I must not be aware of some sort of sealer Mod Podge makes.. I just have a jar of their Matte-Mat which I use to secure rooted hair. What specifically do they call the sealer? KNowing my luck its "Sealer"  >_<

Some ponies I do not seal, and some ponies I do. When I do, I have been using the Testors brand clear gloss.

I've always just used the plain ole' modge podge '; the label reads "waterbase sealer, glue and finish." If I'm sealing the entire body, like for a FBR, I usually dilute the matte MP; this keeps it from being quite as shiny and closer to what pony vinyl looks like. ;)

PetiteTiger

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
I think not sealing the paint is your problem!  I use an acrylic sealer, specifically Liquitex's Matte Varnish, and put on two coats with plenty of time to dry inbetween before rehairing the pony.  It protects the acrylic from all sorts of nasty things like dust, makes it less prone to scratch off, and would likely prevent the water from degrading the acrylic.

Modge Podge works in a similar way, and your matte stuff could probably be used to seal the pony as well!

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
I have used some acrylic sealers in the past.. Liquitex Gloss Varnish is the stuff I used last, and I really disliked it because it tended to dry slightly sticky. Over time, any pony I had used it on tended to collect dust and look dirty. I've just never found anything that dried 100% non sticky.

I'm hesitant to use the Mod Podge as a sealer because in the jar, it is so white.. I would be afraid it would not dry clear. It does sound like we have the same thing.. Mine says "Waterbase sealer, glue, and finish"..  kCherry, how thin do you dilute it before using it? I'll have to grab some bait and test it out myself since it's seeming like this may be a good way to go. I have seen quite a few people mention using it also.

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:09:51 PM »
kCherry, how thin do you dilute it before using it? I'll have to grab some bait and test it out myself since it's seeming like this may be a good way to go. I have seen quite a few people mention using it also.

I just eyeball it, really. :blush: But, if it helps I've never had MP dry milky on me, even without diluting it. It's always come out nice and clear. ;)

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »
Hmm.. I have two :muffin: Pony Hooves that just need manes.. if the test goes well, I suppose I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »
No Problem!! I would suggest trying out a couple of mixtures and just 'painting' them onto a test-bait to see how you like it. I hope it works well for ya! We can't have too many :muffin: Pony customs floating around!! :D

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »
I also use matte Mod Podge as a sealer.  I add water until it is the consistency of skim milk.  I then use a makeup sponge to sponge it over the pony (or painted areas).  This eliminates any brush strokes, but it will look kinda bubbly until it dries.  Believe me though, it will be a beautiful, smooth finish after it dries.  This gives it a nice protective coat but does not dry sticky, cloudy, or shiny.  I think you will be pleased with the result.  :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
I just did a test patch on my just started wookie pony by smearing some on with my finger without diluting it. I cant even tell where I put it on just by looking. Nice. Now to wrap some hair around it and boil perm it and see what happens. Im wondering if I will still wind up with the lines.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
I've used MP as a sealer... One of the fakies I was working on a while back I was trying to do the same style as you... I had put paper towel between the pony and the hair and well it stuck to the pony because of the water + mp!

I use Dulcote as a sealer and notice that even with water, it doesn't come off but I tend to be leery of doing that one style with FBRs.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal