collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Black RIT Dye?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Black RIT Dye?
« on: February 01, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »
I was wondering what others experience of using black rit dye was on ponies? Does it bleed onto hair?

I'm planning a custom and I wanted to dye a white pony black but I've heard a few horror stories.

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Re: Black RIT Dye?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
So far my experience has been to let the pony sit for awhile(a few weeks) or lately I boil the pony in a vinegar/water bath after dying to help set the dye. Not sure if this helps much or not but it is what I have been trying.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »
I've never had it bleed into hair, but it will easily bleed into paint.

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
I wouldn't use a white pony, actually. For the best results it's better to use a dark pony already (like purple). White does weird things to dye and it might turn out more grey. I remember when I didn't know any better I dyed a pink pony black, and now it has this weird pinkish undertone that is not so good.

Also, like No Division said it will bleed through paint. I suggest putting down a layer of sealant before you paint. So far it's kept my paint work safe over black dye.

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03:37 PM »
I tried to dye a bait Quarterback black and it just wouldn't take, no matter what I did. I'm planning to do a full body repaint instead.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
I dyed one with black to dye the hair.  I think she was pink?  Anyway, she came out a funky brown with black hair that refuses to curl.  Brown was OK because I covered her in fabric anyway.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:53:33 AM »
I have one pony I used black RIT dye on that did bleed in to the hair, but I had a sneaking suspision that it was going to do that so I only put in one plug and waited, lol. If you are worried, just do one plug of hair and then set it aside for a week and watch what happens. That way you don't mess up a lot of hair. If it does start to bleed, I would try washing the pony in really cold water to help set the dye. After that, do another test plug.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:05:38 AM »
Dye is fun but the results can be tricky. I think the best candidates for dye are the sparkly G3s. The dye almost always takes beautifully while the matte ponies tend to dye unevenly.

Black (or any other dark color) dye will bleed into your paint unless you take precautions. I rarely use dyed baits anymore but when I did, after dying I would boil them in a vinegar bath, run them through my dishwasher to help remove any excess dye and shelve them for 3 to 4 months before painting them. In my opinion it's important to let them sit long enough for the dye to settle. I would never want to sell someone a black custom only to find out it had gone gray 5 months down the road.

Oh, and as someone else mentioned you're better off dying a dark colored pony rather than white. Good luck! :)
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal