collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How come no one hates Snails?  (Read 19456 times)

square

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How come no one hates Snails?
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2012, 02:37:16 AM »
Well, if you go through a thread and dismiss every other opinion that is opposite to yours with "these people need to get a life" and "calm down, it's just a cartoon," it can seem very dismissive and rude. They are not denying anyone rights (since they can't stop people from posting, after all), but it does feel like they are attempting to 'shut down' the conversation and insult/shame others into not responding. So 'deny' would be the wrong word, I think, you are right there.
Thank you! It's a really close-minded attitude to take. I think there are a few people who have forgotten that this, first and foremost, is a kid's show. Kids aren't dense. They pick things up. They see :muffin: Pony: who, in the small scene she's featured, in displays no positive qualities*; has several physical traits that, when combined, come across as her being disabled; they see Rainbow Dash talk to her dismissively - and isn't RD a role model on the show? Expecting kids not to idolise her and mimic her is a bit of a stretch, and we really don't need yet another negative portrayal of (and reaction to) disability. 

This discussion may be small in the scheme of things, but really, it's not isolated, and it all adds up to a bigger problem. Discussion and criticism of ableism in kids show's is not useless, despite the episode already created, broadcasted, what have you. People still learn, and perhaps in the future, thanks to awareness of these problems, any potential ableism (and other -isms, it's not exclusive) can be sidestepped. Wouldn't it be nice if we no longer came across discrimination in entertainment?

*I personally think that was a real disservice to her character - I absolutely love the fan-depicton of :muffin: Pony as a kind, hard-working mother and mailpony who is simply clumsy and has odd eyes. One would think that if the show's creaters wanted to pander to bronies they'd use those traits, instead of something as badly thought out as this? Sure, she might be featured again and be a well-rounded character then, but maybe she won't be.

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2012, 02:49:42 AM »
I think :muffin: Pony is adorable personally. I am disabled myself and have been poked fun at because of that disability, one reason why I do try not to draw attention to it. I was born with a problem with my inner ears on both sides, it is something that can't be fixed without a transplant. Anyhow, technically, I should be wearing hearing aids to help me through a normal day, but I refuse to because that draws attention to the fact that I have a disability, which I hate. I like to be treated normal, and with something hanging out of both your ears it is nearly impossible for people to forget that you have nothing wrong with you.

What I am trying to say is I don't really see what the big fuss is, unfortunately it is not a cartoon character that make fun of people with a dissability, but people. These people are often insecure themself and have to make others feel terrible about themself to make themself feel better. It's really more to be pitied.

And the constant drawing attention to characters like :muffin: Pony is just feeding in to what people want, she is a controversial character, so people become interested in why all the controversy.

Really, all she was originally was a background character that someone had made a mistake with her eyes. She wasn't even deliberate.

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:02 AM »
I don't really understand the people who say "Well *I'm* not offended, so whatever!"
Is it that hard to think "Well, clearly this upsets and offends other people, so I'm going to back them up on it."
For example, I'm white. So if someone called me a racial slur, I wouldn't be personally hurt or offended by being called it - but I would still recognise that it is *offensive*, and chances are I'd tell them I didn't think that word or language should be used, at all.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've talked to one parent in particular who has a 6 year old with wall eyes, and she quite often gets teased about it at school, and has apparently been called a 'derp' before with regards to it. Now one of the characters in her favourite show is called a name used to tease her, and is treated pretty damn badly by one of the main, supposed role model characters. How is that ok?

Watch the scene again. Remember that the show is aimed at children. Then think how a child with wall eyes or who is disabled in a similar way to :muffin: Pony (I always prefered the name Bright Eyes for her, but whatevs) might feel about that. Kids are *smart*. They're quick and sensitive and often pick up on things you might not expect. As far as I'm concerned, if that scene is enough to make even a few kids feel worse about themselves and their disabilities, it shouldn't be there.

As for the whole 'shout out to the bronies' thing, what the hell? Why do the bronies need a shout out? Especially an offensive one? It's a show aimed at young kids, especially girls. Why on earth do the bronies feel the need to own it?
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2012, 05:51:06 AM »
Pythia - I never said anywhere that I was against others having a different opinion to my own, nor do I condone teasing others over a disability, one of the reasons I said what I said. I am saying things from a perspective of someone that has been teased over a disability, I am lucky that I can at least pretend to be normal, even if I quiet often can't hear what someone is saying at least I won't be teased over a disability.

I actually have no clue what scene you are referring to, so im a bit confused. I thought :muffin: Pony was a backgroudh character, and that fans had nicknamed her, that her official name was something different?

If the show is making fun of the disabled (sorry I've only watched like 3 EPs at the moment) it should not be allowed. I don't agree with any form of discrimination, but that's what happens all the time in real life.

I have not only been discriminated against because I have a disability, but also because of my sex and race, none of these things I can help, but its a reality.

I do think that people need to cool off a bit here tho, all of you are going to have different opinions on such a controversial subject, we need to respect each others opinions, as they should ours, regardless if we agree or not, it doesn't have to be shot down either :)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »
Pythia- that's exactly the story I remember from the old forum and that's pretty much what made my mind up about this thing. And I can't even begin to imagine how many other kids have gone through exactly the same thing :(

Fingerpaints: People are getting extra upset about the latest episode in which :muffin: Pony is actually called :muffin: Pony by RD (so yeah, now it´s official) and they gave her a (questionable) voice. On top of basically destroying the Town Hall. Just to keep you in the loop :)

Also, I agree with the whole "nod to Bronies". I was actually talking to my husband about all of this yesterday (wanting to get his opinion on all of this) and he basically said (and I agree completely) that there's no need to pander to them. They already love the show so much for what it is (a kids show) so why do it? Isn't it the point, the whole awesome aspect of bronies loving something made for little kids without having to pander to them? So yeah, I completely understand people saying they are becoming alienated from the fandom by that :(
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 08:25:53 AM »
I actually don't like Snips and Snails at all. Not because I think they're being offensive. I personally think people are oversensitive these days but I really don't like their designs and personalities. I think :muffin: Pony and these two are supposed to be fun silly characters and not taken offense to.Snips and Snails are just silly characters I don't like.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Bag of Magic Food

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2012, 09:34:11 AM »
I was so hoping they'd use Ditzy Doo - much cuter and not offensive IMO
What this really means is that we still don't know what Ditzy Doo looks like.  She's going to be the Moondancer of Ponyville.

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »
I don't really understand the people who say "Well *I'm* not offended, so whatever!"
Is it that hard to think "Well, clearly this upsets and offends other people, so I'm going to back them up on it."

Many of the people who don't find this offensive, also look upon taking offence in this matter a great waste of time and energy.

For example, I'm white. So if someone called me a racial slur, I wouldn't be personally hurt or offended by being called it - but I would still recognise that it is *offensive*, and chances are I'd tell them I didn't think that word or language should be used, at all.

Do you really think that the person who used the slur would be overly concerned that you didn't approve of that language? I think it would benefit you to stop assuming that other people necessarily care about what you think about words.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've talked to one parent in particular who has a 6 year old with wall eyes, and she quite often gets teased about it at school, and has apparently been called a 'derp' before with regards to it. Now one of the characters in her favourite show is called a name used to tease her, and is treated pretty damn badly by one of the main, supposed role model characters. How is that ok?

It's not okay. But getting rid of :muffin: Pony or even the entire meme of 'derp' isn't going to stop that child getting bullied. If it wasn't "derp", it would be a different name. It isn't as though getting rid of every name in every show that could possibly be used as an insult is somehow going to cure the bullying of children. Just, no. 

Watch the scene again. Remember that the show is aimed at children. Then think how a child with wall eyes or who is disabled in a similar way to :muffin: Pony (I always prefered the name Bright Eyes for her, but whatevs) might feel about that.

Why don't we start treating them like human beings and actually let them think for themselves whether they find it offensive or not, instead of deciding and being offended on behalf of them?

Kids are *smart*. They're quick and sensitive and often pick up on things you might not expect. As far as I'm concerned, if that scene is enough to make even a few kids feel worse about themselves and their disabilities, it shouldn't be there.

What about if a child felt worse about his / her disabilities because there was no pony like :muffin: Pony?
What if a child with no limbs was watching MLP, and got upset because the ponies had limbs? Perhaps we should ban all media outright in case it hurts anybody.

As for the whole 'shout out to the bronies' thing, what the hell? Why do the bronies need a shout out? Especially an offensive one? It's a show aimed at young kids, especially girls. Why on earth do the bronies feel the need to own it?

Especially an "offensive" one? You're forgetting that not everybody looks at this the same way you do.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »
Locking as this topic has gone round and round.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal