collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Suggestions on Tablets  (Read 747 times)

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Suggestions on Tablets
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »
Two different questions- 1. Which one is a better buy- the Amazon Kindle Fire HD or one of the Barnes and Nobles new Samsung tablets? I don't need much power behind it, I just want it for book reading, maybe video watching and to play some games. I had/have a Nook HD but its really acting weird and half the time it won't even charge. It worked perfectly up until around November and it stopped charging and just is a piece of junk. To be honest I think Barnes and Noble may have spiked it with a bad patch so you're forced to buy one of the new ones- but that is just a theory.
Question number 2, before my nook took a dive I was letting my daughter use it for Utube and games, but since it's being dumb, I thought about getting her a inexpensive tablet. But with all the cheap knock off brands and everything, I don't want to buy her a piece of junk, but I also don't want to buy her a top of the line, break the bank one either. Can someone suggest a good under 100 bucks tablet? Thank you so much.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions on Tablets
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 10:52:14 AM »
Cant help you out other then apparently there are issues in general with battery power fails.  moms died a few times.

Now, if you want a *drawing* tablet, id be of more help xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »
No clue but I can give this a bump.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:57:34 AM »
With either of those the big question boils down to which eco-system you use more. If you are hugely into Amazon's content the Kindle Fire is a great choice if you are looking for a tablet. I'm sure the B&N one has a similar draw. Another big thing to consider is whether you're afraid of learning a new OS or not. If you're at all adventurous I'd say go with a good quality Android tablet. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" and think it's great. If your concern is being able to read your books on it, you can get apps for the big book sellers on pretty much any decent tablet. You don't need to buy a tablet -from- them. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »
I don't think you're going to find a "good" tablet for under $100.  The Kindle Fire is a solid tablet but you're limited to the apps Amazon approves for it.  Google's Nexus tablets are fantastic but more expensive than the Kindle (I think).  Samsung is hard to beat, too.

I use my small HTC tablet for reading and internet surfing, my larger rooted HP Touchpad for games and stuff, and my 1st gen Surface for work and streaming content.  It really just depends on what you want you tablet to do the most.

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »
We got the newest Nexus tablet for Xmas last year and we love it!  :blush:

Niksilp

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 12:33:02 PM »
I have the Nexus 7 (2013). I like it quite a lot and feel like it's a decent size. I think it goes for under $200.

Amazon has the Kindle app on Android, so no matter what Android device you get, you'll be good there.

Agreeing with Skeen, though, that there aren't really any "good" tablets for under $100. $100 to $200 would be the better range to shop around in.

ETA: It actually might be beneficial for you to factory reset your Nook and then give that to your daughter after buying a new tablet for yourself. Factory resets can solve a lot of issues sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:36:05 PM by Niksilp »

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 06:10:28 AM »
I have a Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 so I am no help xD My mom was looking at getting the Kindle Fire and went with a Lenovo she got as an open box item from Best Buy. May want to check there and see if they have something like that. The other nice thing about going to Best Buy is that they have a lot of different brands and types of tablets that you can try out. It really helped me pick between the original Kindle Fire and the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 when I got my first tablet :)

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »
I have an old Kindle Fire, and as I've read online, they all share the same problem of the charging port not being soldered properly, and therefore the thing doesn't charge well, if at all. They probably fixed that problem by now (I would hope) but it's pretty much The Worst Thing to deal with.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline h1m3.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 02:38:26 AM »
Samsung.

I have had good experience with various Samsung tabs. I recommend that :P

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
I have a Samsung Note 12.2 and it it amazing. It's a total powerhouse and with a massive 12.2 screen, I can read comics in 1:1 scale which is sooooooo nice.  As for cheap tablets... not really sure. If you want quality it costs. I've heard Kindle Fires are decent though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal