collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who do you think are the most popular G1 ponies?  (Read 274 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Who do you think are the most popular G1 ponies?
« on: May 30, 2022, 04:49:14 PM »
If you had to pick 5 (ish) G1 ponies as the most popular, who would it be? This includes the show, toys, comic, etc. Just like...to the general public, who would you say the masses flock to? I know there's a lot of ponies that are very common and absolutely everywhere (Glory, BlueBelle, etc.) but are they actually the most popular?

For me, Gusty and Fizzy instantly come to mind, but after that, I'm not really sure. Maybe Wind Whistler?

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Who do you think are the most popular G1 ponies?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 05:46:57 PM »
Firefly, Cotton Candy, Glory, Gusty, Minty...those are probably the most iconic if I had to guess!

(I'm trying to answer the question from a non-collector point of view...my answer would be different if I had to say collector favorites!)

Offline lalalei2001

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 01:51:56 AM »
My personal favorites are Baby Cuddles, Gusty, Wind Whistler, Fizzy, Surprise, North Star, and Shady.

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 06:11:42 AM »
Mimic, Firefly, Fizzy, Applejack, Peachy, Majesty, Gusty, Nightglider (sorry - that's more than 5!  :lol:)
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 06:51:31 AM »
Mimic, Firefly, Fizzy...beyond that I'm not sure. Majesty and Gusty probably.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 07:15:07 AM »
To the general public? Probably Cotton Candy or Applejack. I don't think a person who isn't a collector would know very many by name.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 08:23:29 AM »
If we were talking about here, in the UK, and people who might recognise a pony...

Applejack for sure. She was iconic back then and Stranger Things was popular here so.

Other than that, it's hard to know. Majesty, probably.

Maybe Cotton Candy or Blossom, but NONE of the other flatfoots as they basically were invisible here.

Surprise often appeared on pony comic fronts, and Firefly was often in/'on things but whether that would count or not I don't know.

Fizzy, etc would depend a lot on whether these were people who ever read or watched MLP. BUT...looking at current merchandise, I'm going to say Starshine. Because although other ponies have appeared as well, she's the one primark keeps coming back to.

So Applejack - helped by Stranger things and G4
Starshine - helped by Primark
Surprise or Firefly - because of frequent past exposure
Cotton Candy or Blossom - because of being extreeeeemely common
Majesty - because her cultural presence and constant rereleases would have made her stand out (and because white unicorns have recently been a thing).

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LNS

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Glitter Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • on pink wings ...
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 02:37:43 PM »
Between the toys, merchandise and cartoon I'd say the ones that people know who don't collet are Applejack, Cotton Candy, Firefly, Whizzer and Gusty. Family and friends all recognize those, many of which knew those ones before they knew I collected them.

The ones I consider the most iconic would be Firefly, Gusty, Whizzer, Fizzy and Wind Whistler. Mainly due to the cartoon. They all made a lasting impression for one reason or another.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 12:02:59 PM »
Firefly and Applejack for sure. When I was just casually collecting ponies, I didn't know a lot of pony names (in general :p not just G1) but I knew those two, I saw them around a lot. Those two immediately came to mind when I read the thread title. Glory's a popular pick too, she doesn't come to mind as quickly as the other two but I think I'd still peg her as the most popular/recognizable/etc G1 unicorn.

Agree w/ Starshine, at least here in the UK. Primark LOVE her and I've seen some other retro merch featuring her, too. I think it's because she's white and rainbow, that's a pretty classic and popular colour combo for fantasy ponies. The first wave of rainbow ponies in general are very popular for retro merch.

Other than that, not sure. Cotton Candy, maybe - to me she's definitely a quintessential G1 design, but I'm not sure if the general public would see her as such. They do seem to gravitate towards her specifically though, whenever they bring out the collector ponies but only use one or two of them. (I.e. she's the only one of the collectors to have a Hallmark ornament, Funko made POP keyrings of her and Blossom but not the other 4 - off the top of my head) So I'd tentatively add her to my list too, but I may be biased - she's one of my favourites. :p

Oh, and Minty if we're looking at it from a fan/collector POV, she's always seemed very popular to me. (G3 Minty too, but I've seen plenty of G1 Minty fans too who loved her before G3 was a thing) Not sure if she'd be that recognizable to a non-fan though.

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 02:36:47 PM »
mimic

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 07:45:16 PM »
Applejack, Cotton Candy, Blossom, Moondancer, Glory, Firefly, Parasol, Moonstone, and Starshine.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »
Firefly, Moondancer, Bowtie, Applejack, Twilight. 

Offline honor_h

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 10:55:12 AM »
I'd say Glory as she's popular for recent retro merch as well as original merch although as mentioned before with these ponies general public might not know the names. The other ones I would say are Applejack, Starshine and Firefly. Cotton Candy, Peachy and possibly Moondancer for original merch.

Lovely Whizzer sig by Starscout
Fabulous avatar by Trinity

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal