collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: drawing tablet - any advices?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline cyanide

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also known as " Epic rainbow crafts "
    • View Profile
drawing tablet - any advices?
« on: November 29, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »
Hello  :)

Im considering buying a good drawing tablet (the ones like wacom etc). However im completly clueless on wich one is the best or is a good buy etc. I would like to have a quite large one (most ive found are really small). Any ideas or advices from those of you who knows or own one? im looking at a price range to about 200$ as an absolute max price .

thanks in advance!
Plushie crafter - check out my stuff on deviantart :) : http://epicrainbowcrafts.deviantart.com/

Cumberbatch2012

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: drawing tablet - any advices?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
A year ago I got a Wacom Intuos tablet, the medium size, and I  :heart: :heart: :heart: it!  It was $350.00.  There are two larger sizes and one smaller size.  Even the smallest size doesn't look too small here on their site.  http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-tablets/intuos  I can't give you any advice on what brand of tablet might be the best, though, because Wacom is all I have ever tried.  For me, Wacom seems to work great.  Wacom also makes this kind, http://www.wacom.com/products/pen-tablets/bamboo, but I didn't know they even existed until just now.  I would say just pick a size, do some shopping around, and find out who can give you the best price.  Good luck!    :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:42:50 PM by Cumberbatch2012 »

Offline cyanide

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also known as " Epic rainbow crafts "
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »
thanks for your advice =) i will be sure to check those out!
Plushie crafter - check out my stuff on deviantart :) : http://epicrainbowcrafts.deviantart.com/

Cumberbatch2012

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »
thanks for your advice =) i will be sure to check those out!

You're welcome! 

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
My husband has a wacom tablet - it's 9 x 11.  But at work he uses a 6 x 8 wacom tablet and he prefers that over the larger one at home (he's a 3D artist and works in the video game industry).  I don't use it enough to have an opinion (I'm mainly a traditional media type person). 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
I have a Wacom Bamboo Create tablet that I'm looking to sell.

It's a great tablet, I just suck hard at drawing. ^_^

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 05:57:55 PM »
I like the Wacom tablets.  I'm currently using a repurposed medical tablet as my drawing station.  No idea how much it costs as it was a gift, but it's worth looking into.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »
Can't go wrong with Wacom- they're the industry standard I think. I myself own a Wacom Graphire 4 which is duly hooked up to my old PowerMac (it says Mac OS X or higher only on the box, but well, I works fine with Mac OS 9 and Photoshop 5 for me...)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 06:51:08 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
Good luck finding  great tablet!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
When it comes to buying anything technical, first thing you should do is ask 'what will I use this for?'. While something that's really sensitive and has a super high level of detail relating to your pen strokes would be nice, is it really something you need? Unless you're a student going to art school, or are making enough money off of what you do you can justify the purchase, you don't need it. Even if you are an art student or a professional, you don't need it. How you use it is far more important than what you're going to do with it.

Monoprice sells some good tablets for less than $80, while they're not 'as good' as something else in another makers 'budget line', like a Wacom Bamboo Splash, they'll do 90% of what the Wacom does for less than half the price. The things you're looking for are 'pressure sensitivity', 'resolution', and 'report rate'.

Pressure sensitivity means how many different levels of pressure the tablet will register. The best ones have 2048, which means there are 2048 different pressure levels that can be read based on how light or had you press down the stylus.

Resolution is the distance between points on the tablet that it will render. The higher the number, the smaller the distance between these points, which will give you a finer 'line'. However, even the budget tablets have adequate resolutions.

Report rate is how many times a second the tablet will respond to have the stylus applied it. A report rate of 800 means that 800 times a second, it's registering the stylus being applied to the tablet.

If I were looking for a budget tablet, I'd look for some with a report rate no lower than 200, a resolution now lower than 4000, and a pressure sensitivity no lower than 512.

This is what I use; http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-10x6-25-Inches-Graphic-Drawing/dp/B004C4ZT0G/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1354250235

I use it for photography post production, and not illustrating, so I'm able to pretty much ignore the report rate (200 is a bit low) since I'm not making wide or large strokes with the stylus, in photography post there's lots of little strokes, which is where the resolution is important. This one is adequate at 4,000.

The Wacom Bamboo Splash is a solid buy at $150, the Monoprice I linked is good for $60, but again, it comes down to what you're going to do. If this you're just a hobbyist, and this is your first tablet, I'd go with the Monoprice.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 08:56:08 PM by DoctorMowinckel »

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 12:54:07 AM »
iv just got a wacom bamboo small and it does what i need it to do lol
iv still got my old wacom graphire that still works, i need to give it away xD but its SOOOOOO old and ocasionally jumps
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 02:43:25 AM »
I got a medium Wacom Bamboo Fun and I love it ! Not too big, but not ridiculously small either. But Wacom tablets are always a good choice, no matter which you choose. You just can't go wrong with them.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »
Im actually in the process of thinking about upgrading mine.

Ive had a waccom since about 2006, and its been a good little thing for me...but its starting to break down.  my pen works but it spretty much annihilated, the drawing surface has seen better days, and it doesnt work all the time...im usually stuck having to play bend down and plug it in and out 4 or 5 times to get it to work.

Ive also heard similar cases..with other people, it usually means its going to die out soon, something common with waccoms.  But for casual stuff you cant really beat them out.

I have a 4 by 6 one and find that im constantly drawing off the screen.  I tink I payed about $120 at the time, after a $50 rebate.

I have my eyes set on the next level up.  Once I save up for a new computer ill be saving up to get a tablet that I can draw straight on the screen with.  Im ready to advance, with the work that I do, which means I get to eventually play with the big girl tablets xD  Doubt its in the near future but it will be soon enough^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal