collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should I deflock my Twilight?  (Read 513 times)

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
Should I deflock my Twilight?
« on: February 12, 2022, 02:23:55 AM »
So I got a really good offer on so-soft Twilight, and she arrived last night. I love her a ton, but she does look a lot scruffier than I expected. She is really yellow, has a lot of unflattering bald spots, and sheds quite a bit. I don't have a whole lot of experience with so-softs, so I would like to hear some opinions on her condition. Is she a candidate for deflocking?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

More pictures here, in natural daylight and in my photo booth: https://imgur.com/a/aFK0YFT

Wishlist

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Should I deflock my Twilight?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 03:52:46 AM »
I’ve seen worse SS Twilights, and I’ve seen better.  That one definitely does have flocking issues!

Since it’s your pony, and your collection, it’s hard to say what you should do.  I’d suggest asking yourself a few questions:

1) What are you intending to do with this pony?  Is it going to be a permanent collection piece, or do you think you’ll rehome it sometime?  If it’s a collection piece, it’s yours, and whatever you do to it is your business.  If you like it better deflocked, go for it.  If you think you might try to upgrade it or sell it at some point, I’d leave it be.  Most collectors like things in as original condition as possible.  Also, deflocking is hard to get right. That’s a lot of effort to go to for future trade bait.  And a bad deflock job will probably hurt the value of the pony.

2) Do you have the skills and the patience to deflock?   I’ve never done it myself, but I’ve heard a lot of people say it’s very hard to get it done right.  You do see a fair number of less than perfect deflocks out there. The very well done ones can actually add to the value since it’s such a pain to do. It might not be a bad idea to pick up a really cheap raggedy bait SS to practice on it before you go for the expensive one if you decide to go for it. 

I’d say her flocking is bad enough to justify deflocking, but you might be able to get away with leaving her be if you’re creative with displaying her.  She does seem to have a “good” side and a “bad” side.  Neither side is perfect, but her display side looks like she could display decently with a bit of creative hairstyling.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 07:11:19 AM »
Maybe you could find someone to reflock her?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 07:47:40 AM »
I am all for reflocking her. She looks very nice and her hair is still pink.  I hope you don't deflock her but in the end she is your pony. Or you could sell her and buy a deflocked one with the money?
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 08:24:01 AM »
Peep gave a lot of well-spelled-out options. :) I can definitely vouch that Deflocking is a lot of scrubbing and patience. I would personally leave her be.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 08:35:33 AM »
I can also confirm that deflocking is a lot of work so you want to be sure that's what you want. Just from the pics, I think she looks fine.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 08:46:47 AM »
I don't really see any flocking issues except on her lips, ears, and eyebrows?  Those are all normal places for flocking loss (because they are raised, if that makes sense.)

IMO her flocking is actually quite good, as she doesn't have flocking loss on her wings, which is another typical place for rubs.

By the way, the second set of So-Softs have completely different flocking than the first set--shorter, easier to see the symbols through.  So her fur isn't short because of damage or wear.  It's supposed to be that way. :)

Reflocking is arduous and it's hard to make it look good / match the existing flocking.  I wouldn't deflock her, if I didn't like I would sell her.  It's your pony though!  Maybe try to wash her first and see if some of the yellowed glue is actually dirt? The 2nd set of So Softs can clean up really nicely.  I had a Bangles that was practically black with dirt, but it all came out under a high-pressure shower head.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 08:58:02 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 12:17:07 PM »
Thanks so much for your opinions, everyone :) She has been high up on my wishlist for a long time and is for my own collection so I have no intention of selling her. I do think deflocked/NSS ponies look heaps better than the flocked ones, and it is especially evident in darker colored ponies like Twilight.

More of the flocking actually came off when I tried to give her a little scrub, so I think it's pretty loose, at least a lot looser than the flocking on other vintage toys I have handled. In the end, I think I'll go ahead with it. Apologies to the naysayers, I really do value everyone's opinions and I will do my best to do her justice (and if it proves too hard, I have a good friend who is very good at pony restoration who could help me out).

Wishlist

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 04:46:24 PM »
If you intend on doing it, I second whoever suggested getting a bait to practice on first.

I can see where the rubs would be annoying, I'm on the fence as to whether it's necessary since I'm a do no harm person generally. But deflocking sometimes does make the pony better overall, providing you never intend to sell it to anyone else.

I see reflocking as the same as deflocking. It's permanently altering the pony.

But yeah.

I have a deflocked Twilight. She was in much worse shape than yours, and I had someone here do it for me in trade for some stuff. They did an amazing job but I know it wasn't an easy task. There is the risk of damaging eyes and symbols, as well as the chance some of the glue may be very stubborn, and removing flocking may not remove discolouration either.

So practicing is a good idea. Also seeking detailed advice from experienced deflockers. At least, in my opinion.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal