collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 33758 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again!
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2023, 10:31:50 AM »
I agree that they don't seem to be as creative or creepy as the originals.  And I am not as excited about them as I was G1.  But, the doll underneath the clothes is surprisingly sturdy and well made.  The chest joint is also really useful for posing.  I also like that G3 Draculaura has the expression that she does.  It gives her a lot of personality and makes her stand out to me.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2023, 11:46:26 AM »
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3172-monster-high-hissfits-3-pack-dolls-set-with-purrsephone-meowlody-and-toralei.html

Very positively surprised about these. I like that they are in a band now and not just meangirls. The twins also look less samey (as far as twins go).

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2023, 12:23:05 PM »
^ Wow! I love the dark haired cat.  And, the tail tambourine is hilarious. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 31, 2023, 12:45:26 PM »
Is it just me or are Toralei's boots VERY EAH? I can totally see one of the girls in that wearing them.

For me, I think the fact this gen and the gen before are scewing younger tends to take a lot of edge out of the design. The ghouls seem way younger compared to the original ghouls, and it just seems that the old theme of 'high school kids look WAY older than they are to elementary school kids' (or secondary to primary, for us UK ghouls) that a lot of toys and movies went with has been done away with

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2023, 03:51:43 PM »
Meowlody (I'm assuming it's Meowlody - the twins' hair colours are still the same as in G1 right?)-'s dress is pretty much Dawn of the Dance Frankie's, lol. At least the top half.

omg they're so beautiful though!!! ;A; My GIRLS. They're the most G1-esque set yet IMO, even their faces aren't radically different or anything. Not overly fond of the leopard spots under Tora's eyes though, a bit too Catra-ish for my taste. Not 100% sold on her boots either. Otherwise I LOVE these three!! I love that the twins have heterochromia now! Definitely gotta get my paws on this trio.

For me, I think the fact this gen and the gen before are scewing younger tends to take a lot of edge out of the design. The ghouls seem way younger compared to the original ghouls, and it just seems that the old theme of 'high school kids look WAY older than they are to elementary school kids' (or secondary to primary, for us UK ghouls) that a lot of toys and movies went with has been done away with

Agreed... I mean look at G3 Draculaura next to her G1 counterpart. Even G2 didn't look *quite* as youthful as G3 and they had those big ol' eyes.
Again, I like G3 in general.. but it's just lacking that certain something, for me. It's almost there but not quite, if that makes sense.

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 31, 2023, 07:19:56 PM »
Oo, I want this trio so much! Way cute.  :satisfied:
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 02, 2023, 08:26:49 AM »
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3063-monster-high-howliday-winter-edition-clawdeen-wolf-doll.html

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3064-monster-high-howliday-skelita-doll-2023.html

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3231-monster-high-draculaura-vampire-heart-collector-doll.html

I am so sick of Draculaura getting another special doll so fast after the winter one last year (should have been Abbey) but she looks interesting and kind of like a companion piece to the fan's choice Rochelle. I know this is related to the vampire heart story, but the way they did the gown with the plastic cage thing, etc. looks like they got inspo from the Rochelle design.
I think the winter Draculaura looked more luxe compared to this year's winter Clawdeen. Price point seems to be the same. If next year's winter doll isn't Abbey I don't know what to say.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 02, 2023, 03:11:04 PM »
Hey I just noticed..

Who's the fourth character on the "Reunion Tour" poster? also Meowlody's silhouette appears to be missing its tail
Maybe a hint at a new character? Catty? *crosses fingers*

As for the collector dolls (so many at once :O omg):
- Clawdeen's really pretty, but I'm not sure I'll be adding her to my collection. I think I would if she's released over here, unfortunately I doubt that'll happen (we never got the last Holiday doll). Love her box design.
- Skelita's really pretty, but too similar to the previous collector Skelita for my taste. Plus I've never really been a Skelita person.
- Draculaura's GORGEOUS... but again reminds me quite a bit of the G1 collector Laura from a while ago, the one with the big eyelashes and chest joint? Either way... absolutely stunning, but not for me.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 03, 2023, 05:29:53 PM »
Clawdeen straight up confuses me, it doesn't look very Clawdeen at all .. .especially with the web patterns on the dress? The blue tones? It's very .... not her.

Skelita I agree looks too similar to her other Collector's doll

I wonder why this was Lala and not Elissabat. I'm guessing this WAS supposed to be Elissabat but Lala is more recognisable. I mean, she sat in the theatre loudly griping about the inaccuracies of the movie, I doubt she'd wanna cosplay it

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2023, 05:04:57 AM »
Hey I just noticed..

Who's the fourth character on the "Reunion Tour" poster? also Meowlody's silhouette appears to be missing its tail
Maybe a hint at a new character? Catty? *crosses fingers*

As for the collector dolls (so many at once :O omg):
- Clawdeen's really pretty, but I'm not sure I'll be adding her to my collection. I think I would if she's released over here, unfortunately I doubt that'll happen (we never got the last Holiday doll). Love her box design.
- Skelita's really pretty, but too similar to the previous collector Skelita for my taste. Plus I've never really been a Skelita person.
- Draculaura's GORGEOUS... but again reminds me quite a bit of the G1 collector Laura from a while ago, the one with the big eyelashes and chest joint? Either way... absolutely stunning, but not for me.

It's G1 Catty's silhouette, but she is getting a G3 doll -

This is her concept art but apparently as this look is Lizzo inspired and given the recent allegations she may be changed :|
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2023, 06:20:20 AM »
Oh I love her kitty! So cute!!

As for the design itself... uh... I don't hate it but I'm not going to be upset if they do end up changing it, lol. Not 100% feeling this one. I think it's the high ponytail that's bugging me.

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 05, 2023, 11:22:26 AM »
She had a high ponytail in G1, very Ariana Grande-esque. The proportions are what is bothering me, she looks like she's stunted, I feel the need to redraw her with proportions that let her 'breathe', if that makes sense? She looks squished like this, her legs especially annoy me, like there's next to no thigh length before we hit knees then calves.

How would I feel if they made her plus-sized? I don't know, to me it would be weird because she's established character, there would be so many jokes like 'wow Catty got fat'. I don't think it's a good idea with a previous character. I know Abbey was made more plus-size in the cartoon, and I do like the doll gave her wider hips but kept the G3 regular proportions as I personally saw girls in high school that were her shape.

I'm a very obese person IRL, so I'm wary of this in a way, especially with the Lizzo allegations.

(.. the more I look at it, it really is the wonky portions and that lack of thigh length that is bugging me!!!)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 05, 2023, 03:40:14 PM »
Yeah, just something about the way the ponytail's drawn here bugs me.

And honestly you took the words out of my mouth re: her body. I didn't know how to phrase it and have it come out right... plus I'm trying not to judge that too hard since it can be hard to tell these things from the art (like, the proportions are whack here but maybe they'll look fine on the doll itself). I dunno how I feel about the change in general yet... I love that they're mixing it up and adding in more diversity, I'd just prefer they did it with new characters rather than drastically altering pre-established characters.

Offline brightberry

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 06, 2023, 12:35:15 PM »
I would have to see the actual doll.  But, I do think she looks kind of cute, like a kitten. I don't know about those boots.  In plastic, those tend to look like storm trooper boots.

I also like all the special editions.  Especially Draculaura.  I love her hair style.  I don't think I will be getting her though. I have a lot of nice Draculauras already.  The other two look pretty but aren't exciting enough to run out and buy.  I'm still disappointed I never saw the B&W dolls in stores.  I was very interested in those.

I am glad they are still making MH though.  It's nice to see them around.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 07, 2023, 12:49:29 AM »
Concept arts and what inspired them don't equal what the final product stands for. Unless she was a direct collaboration like the Lady Gaga doll (and Gaga herself has had her scandals, the worst to me being the R. Kelly collaboration and song).

I personally find the idea of drawing inspiration from real life pop singers a little lazy. It's not downright copypasta like some of MGA's singer dolls where they change just two things so they can pass it off as parody, but it's still annoying to me. MH characters can stand on their own without being a celebrity likeness or getting voiced by them. Like the drag queen appearing in the new G3 cartoon and essentially playing his own alter ego... who needs this? It's like placing adult jokes in kids shows. It's just a weird way of attracting secondary audiences.
Don't get me started on all the animated movies employing already famous actors and actresses when voice actors want jobs, but that's another topic.

Let's talk about his:

What is up with the G3 pets getting species-changed for no reason? Clawdeen now has a wolf instead of a cat, Draculaura has a cat? dog? with bat wings instead of a bat, the new Venus will allegedly have this:

I hope this prototype gets tossed. It looks like Chewlian swallowed the cheshire cat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal