collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 33815 times)

Offline PastelSnake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again - 04/06 Skullector Dracula!
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2022, 11:04:33 PM »
The Nickelodeon Facebook Page shared this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I like how the characters look more... diverse? Same with the dolls. I really dig Draculaura and Cleo looks pretty too. Toralei looking really feisty! I do hope we'll get Abbey too at some point...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:06:18 PM by PastelSnake »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2022, 11:54:27 AM »
Well, they were pretty diverse before.

I can't stop laughing at how close Lagoona is to that Enchantimals design. |D Like damn. Apparently she's Latina now, not Australian? Weird change - why not just make Skelita more prominent? No idea why they've changed Lagoona so much, at this point she might as well be a whole new character. Very odd.

is that a Golbat on Deuce's shirt? XD

Heath looks REALLY weird, like he's from a whole other show - he reminds me of those weird, cheap-looking CGI European cartoons that pop up on Boomerang (and sometimes Cartoon Network over here) - dunno if that explanation'll make sense to anyone but me, but that's where my brain immediately went, lol. I mean he looks more like Heath than the live action version, that one was completely off, but like, art style-wise he looks different to the others? hm. Something about Cleo looks off too, can't put my finger on it.

Where's Ghoulia?

I've heard rumours that Ghoulia and Toralei are both getting Walmart-exclusive dolls - dunno if it's legit - just passing on the gossip. I'm surprised to see Toralei here so early on. Looks like they've taken the notch out of her ear? :/ Her face markings are different too by the looks of it. Also it feels like they took away some of her edge, but ALL of them feel like that so I guess they're just being consistent. They're not bad designs, per se, but they're very "safe", not what I'd have expected from Monster High. Maybe they're just playing it safe for now until they know whether or not it'll be a hit, I dunno.

Still don't get the Witch Draculaura thing, though.

Also I found that leak of the new Cleo doll so here it is:

What I heard was that this is legit, but it may be a mock-up or test doll and so the final doll may be different... again, I don't know anything concrete, I'm just passing on what I've heard here. Anyway, I love the canopic jar-esque drink cup, that's a fantastic detail. The pet is cute (I'm a sucker for Anubis), but what happened to Hissette...?

Gah, I hope we get proper photos of the dolls soon!!! It's hard to really form a proper opinion just from these tiny/leaked photos and cartoon pictures.

edit: Woop, speak of the devil. Deuce photo! Source is doll.girle @ Instagram.

Not much into the boys, but he looks good! And oh, it's a snake on his shirt, that makes sense XD
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 12:05:50 PM by Carrehz »

Offline SweetNightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*uᴥu *•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*
    • View Profile
    • My Carrd.co
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2022, 02:55:19 PM »
Really don't like what they're doing with Frankie, I was mostly planning on buying her but gosh, the shaved head, too many colors on her outfit (the leaked doll didn't look that good) and male voice actor? No thank you.
**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚visitors can't see pics , please register or login
˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

My Checklist || My Wishlist || My Carrd.co
Signature by  starscout

Online Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2022, 03:28:14 PM »
Really don't like what they're doing with Frankie, I was mostly planning on buying her but gosh, the shaved head, too many colors on her outfit (the leaked doll didn't look that good) and male voice actor? No thank you.

Iris isn't male, Iris is non-binary.

The doll looks interesting for Cleo, Lagoona's changes are still baffling to me. Still looks a lot better than the live action across the board so far, I'll probably be another luddite that prefers G1 but hey, any new gen won't take away from the gen I adore. Again, WHERE GHOULIA??

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2022, 07:10:32 AM »
Thing is that it's not even that I hate the new Lagoona - well the cartoon one at least :p the live action design isn't bad in and of itself but it's not remotely monster-like. The live action designs in general are so bad though. No, the cartoon design is nice in general, but it's so different that I don't get why they didn't just go ahead and make her a whole new character!

I saw a post somewhere that said she looks a lot like the little sister G2 gave Lagoona (I forget the name... Ebbie? Kelpie? The Howleen-aged sister), and omg they're right XD She's her but with Nefera's hairdo.

I also saw some people saying this gen feels like it's skewing younger than previous gens, I think that's what I haven't been able to put my finger on. It does feel younger.

Yeah so far I definitely prefer G1, but I don't feel "OMGHATEKILLITWITHFIRE!!!" about G3 either, if that makes sense?

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2022, 11:32:33 AM »
I don't look here for a few days and all of a sudden there is a doll leak, character design reveals for the cartoon and more! Wow.

I am positively surprised by Clawdeen (cute wolfy look, unlike the Halloweenstore version in the movie). Lala and Cleo look cute and Cleo is darker now?
I still need to go "hmmm" on the dolls for a while longer. Heath is just weird. Also he is the son of Hades now? Is this a link to Deuce being the son of Medusa? Medusa was a woman cursed to become a monster, the theme fits. But Hades is no monster, it's a place. And well, a deity. This is C.A. Cupid "daughter of Eros" stretching it. They couldn't have thought of a fire related monster, like a dragon?

Lagoona is a big no. Pink skin, just no :lol:

Frankie being grey instead of green is also a no from me. These things might sound like nitpicks but Frankie being green was a cute nod to the Hammer version of Frankenstein's monster. I'm also not doing the "you have to refer to Frankie as plural now!" - my brain just can't handle it. If you feel outraged by this, just imagine I am referring to Frankie of yesteryear. She looks female, too, in cartoon form. If I hadn't seen the voice actor I wouldn't have known. It's like Tina and Linda from Bob's Burgers. Voices don't always have to match what you see on screen, ya feel?

Also hope that Clawdeen can be gay now, as intended. Clawdeen deserves finally having her romance subplot.

Also read in an article that Toralai is now an uppercrust monster purist. Don't make me root for Toralai, Nickelodeon... HADES IS NO MONSTER. Kick Heath! :lol:
Looks like they fused Gory and G1 Tora to get G3 Tora.

PS: Talking about G3 in regards to MH feels so weird, heh. The franchise isn't that old.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2022, 12:45:29 PM »
I can't quite get used to using the generation terms for MH either x) It still feels like G1 came out yesterday.

I didn't know they'd changed Heath's parentage, that's really weird. Especially changing it to Hades of all things, do they WANT to get the crazy soccer moms on their backs shrieking about "references to the devil!!111" or other such nonsense? :P I can understand changing his parents to something more specific than "uhhh fire elemental" but why not just make him a salamander or somesuch? =_= I wish they'd stop having deities as parents... I still think having Posea be the 'daughter of Poseidon' was pushing it - at least they handwaved C.A. eventually by saying she was adopted.

What's throwing me off about Cleo's new skintone is that it almost looks like she's literally bronze, like a statue. Shiny. Not sure if that's what they're going for or if the lighting/shining/whatever in that pic is just a bit off or w/e. I mean I guess it'd be interesting if she IS meant to be like a statue now, I just want to know if that *is* the idea or if I'm just seeing things :P

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2022, 03:20:14 PM »
I really like Deuce's new look. 

I like the others too but kind of miss their drama faces.  Which is funny because I hated those faces at first.  Those dolls were judging me.  Of course they grew on me and I'm sure these will too if I let them.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2022, 04:55:15 PM »
I'm also not doing the "you have to refer to Frankie as plural now!" - my brain just can't handle it.

In english "they" isn't necessarily plural, it can also be used to refer to someone of an unspecified gender, and in this case, g3 Frankie doesn't have a gender.

anyways, I think this reboot is fine. It could be much worse (flashbacks to g2). I also really like Lagoona! Even though blue makes more sense for her, I do like her in pink. I just don't like her hoodie lol  >_<
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2022, 10:17:46 AM »
What's throwing me off about Cleo's new skintone is that it almost looks like she's literally bronze, like a statue. Shiny. Not sure if that's what they're going for or if the lighting/shining/whatever in that pic is just a bit off or w/e. I mean I guess it'd be interesting if she IS meant to be like a statue now, I just want to know if that *is* the idea or if I'm just seeing things :P

The cartoon has some of them with different skintones to the dolls, which is weird. I just now noticed that cartoon Frankie is more blueish when her doll is grey. Cleo's doll looks more pale than the cartoon version, even with the light shining at her she'd be darker if they had went with the cartoon look. Too bad, a dark shimmery Cleo would have been interesting.

Also, are my eyes deceiving me or are her leg wraps stark white on the doll? Looks like she broke a leg.

PS: Justice for Hissette. It was actually dark and kinda twisted that Cleo had a pet snake when the historical Cleopatra died by snakebite and Cleo is undead, technically. I always liked her pet the most.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:20:33 AM by Zapper »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
The subtle in-jokes like that were one of my favourite things about MH. Like Deuce's pet being named Perseus "after someone Mom used to know, she doesn't find it funny". I never made that connection with Hissette before! I love it.

They're being really inconsistent with Frankie's skintone... and yeah I think a shimmery/shiny Cleo doll would've been interesting too. It's weird how inconsistent/all-over-the-place the designs are atm, I guess they're still ironing out everything.

Online Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
We're all forgetting that Hissette is actually one of Deuce's mom's first grey hairs, so it's extra sweet! Monster High was also a fan of some of the more morbid sides of the monster theme, such as Frankie's bodyparts flying off.

If I could ban one thing, it would be making children or connections to Greek Gods. It's BORING and TRITE, do something else!!!!!

It's interesting there's no siblings out yet ... I am disappointed in Lagoona, I respected her sporty nature that was different from the Fearleading Squad and of course the pun about her Australian accent because she's 'from Down Under' (LOL). Now she's just another rainbow mermaid thing, close to Meeshell from EAH.

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
I didn't know that about Hissette! That's adorable. I guess they've broken up Cleo and Deuce so there's no need for a connection there... or at least, they'd broken up in the Haunt Couture diaries... Not sure what to think of that, it's weird since HC was definitely in the G1 continuity but G3 is its own thing? So I dunno why they put that detail in the new diaries... idk maybe they have plans for it further down the line.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I guess they've broken up Cleo and Deuce so there's no need for a connection there... or at least, they'd broken up in the Haunt Couture diaries...

This is sad. Monster High diary canon was my favorite and I still have most of the booklets even though it's easy to look them up online nowadays. It would be interesting if a second wave of HC would get made and there was some conclusion to this? Lol, I'm an adult but I care about my favorite doll couple. To me this is worse than the time Mattel made Barbie date that surfer guy and kick Ken to the curb :lol: :P

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
I'm sad to see them broken up too!! At first I thought "okay, they seem to be leading up to something here, let's just see where they're going with it..." but then G3 turned out to be a reboot/separate continuity/whatever, so now I don't know WHAT to think. They were MH's power couple, they were together right from the start!! I hope there is a second wave of HC that wraps the story up somehow :(

Post Merge: July 19, 2022, 09:43:31 AM

(Sorry for the double-post)

SDCC 2022 Frankie

B+W version of Power Ghouls Frankie (Voltageous). She's nice enough but not my thing personally, I didn't really care for the original Voltageous either though. Kinda burned out on the black-and-white versions of the dolls too. But it's cool to see we're getting a SDCC doll already, I guess. She's pretty, just not my style.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 09:43:31 AM by Carrehz »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal