collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can I save her? (With update! See last post!)  (Read 2105 times)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
Can I save her? (With update! See last post!)
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I got a Silver Glow from my niece. But when I took her home with the others I noticed her hair! Can I save her hair or is the only option rehairing? Because Im really bad at that. :(
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:34:34 AM by TornadoTwist »

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
Re: Can I save her?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:35:06 PM »
I think you can save her with some serious work.

First, thick conditioner and a metal tooth comb - something with semi-wide teeth... brush like crazy. Brush until you can at least comb through it. More conditioner until it's just saturated with it, and you can then either use the boil-brush method or a straight iron (or regular iron) set on lowest setting. Take little pieces (a little chunk at a time) and go quick. I know G3 hair WILL melt if the iron gets too hot, moreso than I've seen on G1s for whatever reason..
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 11:42:44 PM »
*fingers crossed* Sunshine described a good method. She might be able to be saved
Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »
Oh indeed she can be saved :) I had hair exactly like that on one of my dolls and the hair is now good again. I can't wait to see a picture update if there will be one!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 02:45:07 AM »
It is possible but its going to be a slog! I think Sunshines recommendations are great.

The only thing I would add is when you are brushing try not to tug the hair too much - when you pull the hair you are stretching the plastic, its much more elastic than natural hair of course. And over stretching and contracting will damage the hair.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »
Yes Cat's right, if you come into huge tangles, and you're yanking and yanking, you can stretch it, causing further tangles, or break it, or sometimes the hair plugs can even come out.

What I do is start at the end, and brush out like, 1/2" at a time, until I can get through it, then I move down, and brush out the last 1", then last 1 1/2", etc... until I make it all the way to the base - it can take FOREVER, but, with enough conditioner and patience I believe you would easily be able to fix her. I've had more than one Rainbow Flash come to me with dreadlock-frizzy-nightmare hair and have been able to turn them into smooth-haired beauties! :)

If you're nervous about ironing or flat ironing, you might want to try to practice on a bait if you happen to have one, at least you can get the feel of how "fast" to move, etc... :)

My Want List

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »
Wow, those are some impressive tangles.  I hope you can fix her!
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
I've managed to save a styling Star Catcher that came to me with hair looking exactly like that. I thought it would be impossible, but she responder really well to hair iron! I took it strand by strand, all very small strands, wet and encased in conditioner and it worked miracles.

I wish you luck, I love it when people try to save the pony :)

Post Merge: August 28, 2013, 09:50:44 AM

I, of course had to bomb it out first which took ages. Just remember to do it when she already has conditioner in. I would even leave the conditioner in the hair for an hour or two before attempting to comb it.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
Wow you're patient Vinter!! :biggrin: I just use a TON of conditioner, I usually lay the hair out on my bare leg because the comb I use has rounded teeth, so, it doesn't scratch me, and I don't get caught up on anything (lol, sounds so weird now that I type it out...) but, I just keep adding in conditioner if it doesn't come untangled...

Also, I really have to say that there's only ONE brand of Conditioner I would NOT recommend using, because I go through this stuff like it's candy... and I use cheap conditioner, but the ponies I have are always super soft and silky - the only one I would say to definitely NOT USE is a brand called White Rain. It leaves the hair feeling... dry... I really disliked it.

Oh! I wanted to mention, you may have to flatten it more than one time through. Like... for example I had a pony who came to me like this:

And with one go through of the technique I mentioned above, I got her like this:

Another time through and I fixed the majority of the poofness left in her tail and hair tips - which is where you'll experience the most frizz (most likely) :biggrin: Hope this helps and gives you some hope to fix her! I'd love to see your restore pictures!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:34:31 AM by Sunshine »

My Want List

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »
Good luck! I've been surprised in the past b what I was able to do for awful, matted hair, and I think you will be too!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 12:22:51 PM »
Wow you're patient Vinter!! :biggrin:

hhahah, I know :P i think it's enough to say that I was supposed to be working on my thesis that day, and all of a sudden things become clearer :P
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline vortex1310

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
Yay! Restoring ponies is always so satisfying! All the advice is spot on!

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 01:19:17 PM »
lots of love to that one! Post after pics if you think of it, OK? I'm so curious as to how she'll turn out.

phoenixsoul85

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
I have some baby ponies that have crazy puffy tails.  I'll have to give this a try.  Now to  borrow a straightener...

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »
With the really bad ones I cover the hair in conditioner, gently brush through once from the bottom to the top in small locks. I seperate a small lock from the rest of the mane and brush starting at the tips and working my way up to the roots with a wide tooth comb. Then repeat it for each small lock (6-10 plugs per lock). Once i have brushed through everything once (the first time through i dont over brush. just enough to get a comb through) I shampoo the hair and re-condition with a ton of conditioner. I comb through once more with the pony lying on its side with the strands stretched out and leave it over-night with the conditioner in. The next day I brush it with a brush with more teeth until the brush is running through without snags. Then rinse out any excess conditioner, run a comb through again quickly and style the hair as I want or if its still really frizzy (which that one will probably be) then go on to try the boiling or flat iron method. This should reduce the amount of boiling or ironing you have to do.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal