collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair dying advice?  (Read 396 times)

littlekelly4587

• Trade Count: (0)
Hair dying advice?
« on: May 16, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »
After a very stressful time last May-November (cancer kind of stressful) I went from being a natural blonde to a very dark red-head.  My friends said that the summer (sun, swimming in the pool, the ocean, etc) would make the dark red hard to keep so I started going back to blonde.  Here's the main problem: My roots, since my natural is blonde, are quickly obeying the "go blonde" order of the hair dye but the red part is barely changing.  I tried a subtle change to light red and a drastic change to blonde; neither did much.  I'm shaving my head this spring so if nothing else I can go back to being blonde then.   :P

Questions:
Do I look better with red or blonde?  (ignore the curls in pic one. that was my best friend's doing.  I'm too lazy to do that)
Does the dark red kind of dye really fade a lot in the summer?
How should I go back to being blonde? 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Hair dying advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »
Red is hard to keep in the summer, especially if you go out in the sun a lot.  If you're dyed, it can turn brassy quickly.

I say go natural!  Your hair color is beautiful. 

And I'm sorry to hear about the cancer (if it was you, I hope you're doing well now,) and I think it's great what you're doing.  :)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »
I would try to stay natural.  Its what you were born with^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
I'd go with natural too. Less upkeep. As for getting rid of the red, are you bleaching or just using blonde dye?

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline TokiBear

• Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • We're all stories in the end...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »
I vote natural as well only because I spent the last year trying to keep red in my blonde hair.  Blonde is the smallest particle while red is the largest... trying to force the red into the blonde is really hard and that's why it doesn't keep well on us blondies.  I LOVED my red hair, but it just because too expensive to up-keep so... I went black haha.  But I think you look absolutely lovely in blonde.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
I don't know what it's called in English, but there is a decoloring thingie you can buy that washes the colour off from the hair. My boyfriend went from black to natural in just one go. It smells terrible (like cat pee) and it makes the hair feel like steelwhool after first rinse but it works. I heard that red is harder to get rid of so I would recommend at least two treatments but I think that would be easier than just dying or bleeching the hair as that might make it orange.

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
Go natural :P You have a lovely natural color! I've been dying my hair for the past couple of months a darker red than you and I have naturally brown hair (like an icky brown lol). I've found that my roots are showing quicker lately as I spend more time outside (or my hair is growing faster?).

Thanks Whippetluv!

littlekelly4587

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
I'd go with natural too. Less upkeep. As for getting rid of the red, are you bleaching or just using blonde dye?

Using blonde dye.  Isn't that easier on your hair than bleach?  I'm afraid I'll end up with insanely blonde roots with still pretty dark red if I try blonde again.  I was thinking about finding the absolute lightest red and using that until it gets closer to a strawberry blonde(???).  These blonde roots look absurd right now and I'd hate to make them even worse. 

And thanks, Eviecorn.  It was my dad.  He passed away late last Sept (glioblastoma; a super nasty brain cancer) but we try to count our blessings that he lived a year longer than expected AND was doing great right up until the last two months.  It could have (and statistically should have) been much worse than it was.   :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal