collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Looking for an Alternative to Windows Movie Maker  (Read 519 times)

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
Looking for an Alternative to Windows Movie Maker
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:33:36 AM »
So, I'm trying to pull together an AMV right now and trying to do so in the newest version of Windows Movie Maker, and well to be frank it is naff and it seems most of the good features are gone.

Does anyone know of a good (and preferably free) alternative? I used to have Videospin on my old laptop but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Anyone got any suggestions?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an Alternative to Windows Movie Maker
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:41:32 AM »
I'd love to hear some suggestions too!

The only other one I've found that I love to pieces is Sony Vegas Pro - But at £300+ for a program would be used for fun, I'll pass :/

Otherwise, you can install an older copy of WMM - Which is what I've done. The latest one is indeed naff.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline starrypawz

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:42:53 AM »
I'd love to hear some suggestions too!

The only other one I've found that I love to pieces is Sony Vegas Pro - But at £300+ for a program would be used for fun, I'll pass :/

Otherwise, you can install an older copy of WMM - Which is what I've done. The latest one is indeed naff.
Yeah I just found one of the old versions available via microsoft so I'm going to try that. It's so annoying because all the really nice little tricks like merging clips and stuff has just gone. And it's a pain in the backside to split it down into smaller clips.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:40:23 AM »
Why is it every time they "upgrade" something, they make it more useless? I hope the older version does what you need it to.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:27 AM »
Not sure hun, thats not something I really got into :(

Im sure there are better things out there within reach though...just need to do research.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »
I only use After Effects for stuff like this, but that is faaaar from free.  XD Hope you get what you need!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline starrypawz

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
I only use After Effects for stuff like this, but that is faaaar from free.  XD Hope you get what you need!
XD
Yeah the old WMM seems to be working just fine for me.

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:10:13 PM »
Open the spoiler for a torrent of words that are barely relevant to your question. For the short of it, there's a tl;dr.

Spoiler
What you're lookin' for is an open source GNU licensed NLE. NLE stands for 'non linear editor'. Back in the olden days of 1999, when most video was still shot on analogue mediums (digital video tape is an analogue medium), people had to edit things in a linear fashion. Wanted to skip from frame 12,800 to frame 20,000? Well, you had to fast forward between frames 12,801 all the way to frame 20,000. Then digital happened, and you could edit things in a non linear fashion! Wanted to skip from the first frame to the last? Just punch in the time code for the last frame!

Time code is the universal defacto go-to numbering system for recording audio and video. Ever wonder how they keep all the audio and video in sync? Time code! The audio recorders and video are all synced to the same time code. You know those big ol' black and white clapperboards you see on behind the scenes footage? Those are called, Clapperboards! Folk in the video industry aren't clever at naming things. Board you clap before a scene? Clapperboard! Production that's done after you've shot? Post production! Before you shoot? Pre-production! Guy who makes sound effects? Sound designer! Guy who's in charge of wrangling all the sound on set? Production sound mixer! You get the idea. Though 'blocking', doing a dry run of a scene before you shoot, is sort of a weird name. So is a 'gaffer'. A gaffer is the lighting person. But for the most part, they calls 'em like they sees 'em.

On Clapperboards you write down the scene number, and the time code. Time code is read as HH:MM:SS:F. Hours, minutes, seconds, frames. So at the end of the day when everything's all sequestered and organized and it's time to do some editing, and someone says 'Hey man, we need to get a rush on scene A538' you load up the audio, the video, double check the time code and scene name on the clapperboard, make sure they're in sync with the time code, and bam, everything's where it should be.

With that lesson about things you're not looking for out of the way, how 'bout some open source, free video editors? There's AVIDemux, which I have never ever ever had any luck with and I loathe passionately. Some people can make it work, not me. If you want to try it out, here it is; http://www.avidemux.org/

There is also Lightworks, which is a free NLE and is not AVIDemux. I don't like it. It's cumbersome and fussy and it makes me want to throw things at things, here that is; http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

I also loathe editing video. If you have me editing video even in something like Vegas, I'm going to be irritable. So when I say I don't like a video editor, it means nothing, because I don't video editors, and I don't like editing videos!

I'd go with Lightworks.

tl;dr http://www.lightworksbeta.com/ and http://www.avidemux.org/ are free. I really don't like AVIDemux and I don't like Lightworks. But I don't like editing video.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:23:43 PM by DoctorMowinckel »

I have a blag about ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal