collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Undeclared re-pinks on Ebay...  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
Re: Undeclared re-pinks on Ebay...
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 04:03:56 AM »
Repinking's been around a lot longer than five to ten years.  I've got ponies in my collection 20+ years post-pinking with RIT which I did myself, no idea why anyone would use something that's not intended as an actual dye for the job though - koolaid, really? Yikes.

Each to their own though, I don't see it as much different (or any different) than a rehair, it's a restoration technique.

I'm going to agree with this. I've used rit dye /uk dylon to repink some of my own ponies - and that was years and years ago. None of the ponies have become stained or damaged , neither have they stained any of the others.

I  view it as restoration so if I knowingly had a re-pink I'd declare it  in the sales description but honestly if its done properly and its declared as a re-pink (if its known to be one)  I don't see it being an issue.  It *does* become an issue if the person has re-pinked with something dodgy and not intended to be used as a fabric dye and/or they have a known re-pink and *not* declared it when selling.
Some are so close to the original colour though that you really can't  tell  - I have a few of those myself ;)  I only know they are repinks because I did it. (no they aren't for sale ) :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 07:54:10 AM »
While i personally am not keen on re-pinks for my own collection, I don't think they are a problem per se. As you said, only if they are rubbish jobs or undeclared. At least if they are rubbish jobs, you can tell pretty easily and avoid! ;)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline aero_oceana

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/aero_oceana
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »
Man, it really bugs me how I keep hearing people are selling ponies that are rehairs/repinks without being described as such. :( I'd be very upset if I got a pony only to discover it was a repink or a rehair. Yikes.

IF it is described as such, then that is fine - I'll buy a different pony. But I wish people wouldn't sell ponies without putting down what they've done to restore them. Some people don't mind restored ponies, others want ponies as close to original as possible (like myself).

Thanks to Sorrow for my gorgeous sig and also for my beautiful avatar!
Formerly known as Aerosmith_Gal.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 03:01:07 PM »
Repinking would be the same as a paint touch up in my eyes . The last thing you need is to end up giving a pony a clean-up of some sort, only to have the paint or dye start to run or end up staining something. I understand that some people may genuinely not know of an eye has had a scratch retouched or a tail dyed to match bright pink but those who do it knowingly... Sigh.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 08:14:54 PM »
I am with  aero_oceana, it bugs the heck out of me when re-pinks, re-hairs and deflocks are sold as legit.
I recently picked up a small lot with what I thought was a UK gusty in it and after a lot of debating with myself I have marked her on the bottom of the foot as deflocked in marker.  The original party who did that should have marked her.
And people who are selling anything that is not original should make mention of it.  I like to pick up a small lot here or there to clean up and resell, supports my nirvana collecting habit but any more it's getting so one just does not know. 
Shel-t* Ponies

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 03:20:34 AM »

people who are selling anything that is not original should make mention of it.   

Too true :nod:  providing the seller knows it of course (some do - and those are the ones that get me mad if they don't tell - but some have bought ponies and not known before reselling :sad: )
 I'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience with what was supposed to be a UK Gusty too Shelti  :hug: . If I see one around I'll let you know. I had more than one myself but already sold my extras or I would have sent you one *sigh*

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 06:35:50 AM »

people who are selling anything that is not original should make mention of it.   

Too true :nod:  providing the seller knows it of course (some do - and those are the ones that get me mad if they don't tell - but some have bought ponies and not known before reselling :sad: )
 I'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience with what was supposed to be a UK Gusty too Shelti  :hug: . If I see one around I'll let you know. I had more than one myself but already sold my extras or I would have sent you one *sigh*

So agree Ringlets about knowing, it took me a good look around on the gusty before I spotted a little residue of glue between the rear legs.  They did a good job including the tail hole.   :hug:
It's not the first time and I am sure it will not be the last.  I got a batch of ponies in last year of which the symbols had been touched up with glitter glue.  They washed right off.

Shel-t* Ponies

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 06:58:01 AM »
You really have to be careful who you're buying from. It's because of these touch ups that aren't mentioned that I do buy lots that look more soiled from sellers who claim to be the original owners and who aren't collectors. Less chance of having re-pinks or partially restored ponies. I like ponies to be either original or completely customized where they become an entirely new pony, not somewhere in between.

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 07:24:11 AM »
I like ponies to be either original or completely customized where they become an entirely new pony, not somewhere in between.

So Totally agree bluerose978, I look now for people who appear to not be collectors or community members.  A quick look at selling history can tell one a lot.
Shel-t* Ponies

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal