collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Prototype furbob toys? Edit: And Flutter Pony Hideaway??  (Read 9475 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Prototype furbob toys? Edit: And Flutter Pony Hideaway??
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 04:37:29 PM »
Oh my!  Hello Ruth Bush, it is such an honor to have you here!  The furbob molds look incredible!   I, and I think all of us, are so grateful to be able to learn about this chapter of MLP history.  It's a pity the pictured items never made it into production, but at least we now know about them!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 11:14:57 PM »
Fascinating stuff, especially those Furbobs - they are conspicuously misshapen but hold a certain charm. I also question why the Flutter Hideaway was denied being put into production - did Hasbro think that their wings would break on the doorframe? Did Hasbro plan for another year of Flutters but discontinued them abruptly, rendering the Flutter Hideaway pointless? Will we ever discover the truth behind it?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »
Hi Ruth! :D Wow, the Arena is the best, we bring in all the most awesome people of this fan community!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2016, 09:35:52 AM »
I also question why the Flutter Hideaway was denied being put into production - did Hasbro think that their wings would break on the doorframe?
Well if that's why, this decision didn't stopped lots of poor flutters to be wingless.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2016, 09:56:38 AM »
I'm super late to the party but omg, Furbobs!! So cute!!! I wish they'd produced them, I always liked them in the cartoon. And it would've been great to have a Flutter pony playset, too ^^

Those Yarn ponies are really intriguing, haha.. not sure if I like them or not but they're certainly interesting! And I looove the ponies with stockings/blazes.

Also - welcome to the Arena, Ruth! ^^

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 11:37:42 AM »
I also question why the Flutter Hideaway was denied being put into production

Because the economic downturn that year (1987 I think) meant that parents would be tightening their purse strings on non-necessary purchases, and it wouldn't have made sense to put a glut of playsets on the market.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »
aww this really made my day. i can't believe how awesome this is after so many years as a collector and an obsessive accessories and playset collector there is always something new to learn.
when i first read this this morning i thought i had woken up in an alternative universe :lol:

im also very intrigued to know what the seapony fountain was for, maybe a place for the baby sea ponies to float in.
and see better pics of the ponies that look like they had patches? blaze? that would have been very cool.

AND to know a G1 designer is here on the arena  :worshippy:
Ruth you have created some beautiful stuff there  :heart:

im dying to see more close ups of the picture,  :biggrin:

pps i neeeeed that flutter playset

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
Welcome Ruth Bush! Thanks to you and others for sharing these wonderful images . . . the artwork for the Flutter Pony house is just beautiful (the G1 artwork was sooooo fantastic--I was so lucky to enjoy it when new in the 80s!).

I *always* thought that Hasbro should have done a picnic set (I wanted one so desperately), so I feel vindicated that at least one was planned if not put into production. I'd love to see better pics of that.

Again, so great to see the wonders of could-have-been! :)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2016, 05:27:06 AM »
I love the yarn ponies! I feel like that's a set that needs to be custom made. lol

I also love that she said that Fairy Tails were one of her favorites. They are one of mine too. :)

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2016, 05:32:39 AM »
The furbobs ❤️❤️❤️  I would have hoarded them as a child!!
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline Gypsydancer

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2016, 06:48:08 AM »
I have to say, what Ruth brought to the fair was amazing. It was really nice to see all the thought and efforts that went into the line but didn't make the cut. Perhaps there were many other things that we've clamored about for years that were thoughts that never made it to fruition. It was nice to get that little glimpse inside the world.

The furbobs and the Flutter Hideaway were super interesting but I'd die to have that little Flutter house! I always wondered why they didn't make one when I saw Flutter Valley in the movie. It's the same reason I don't buy my boys their 5th Imaginext set. Money and room to store it.  :lol:
Purveyor of Custom Ponywear!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 08:23:06 AM »
I saw these pictures on Tumblr (of all places) and I've been drooling over them for a few days now! I really wish I had been able to go to the fair this year -- these would have been SO COOL to see in person!

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 02:26:08 AM »
after reading all these comments about the flutter pony hideaway and the furbobs, I just want to say thanks for appreciating the effort that went into these, even if they werent produced....It was a most fun time for me and its nice to know there are pony fans out there...

I'm very thankful to you for sharing this! I love seeing the process behind how a toyline like this is conceived. All the hard work, brainstorming, designs and ideas that in the end never materialized.

Because the economic downturn that year (1987 I think) meant that parents would be tightening their purse strings on non-necessary purchases, and it wouldn't have made sense to put a glut of playsets on the market.  :)

Do we know it was meant for a 1987 release? I think it'd make more sense for it to coincide with the release of the movie, when the Flutter Ponies were still new and a big deal. But in the end they may have decided they had enough playsets as is, and would rather focus on marketing the huge Paradise Estate.

im also very intrigued to know what the seapony fountain was for, maybe a place for the baby sea ponies to float in.
and see better pics of the ponies that look like they had patches? blaze? that would have been very cool.

It's been said it was a sink that was meant to complement the Scrub-a-Dub tub. The bathtub also has a sea pony motif, even though sea ponies were out of production by the time it was released. Makes me think it was designed a lot earlier. I suspect that a lot of the sets from later years are actually ideas that might have been initially scrapped, but brought back when they needed new sets to release (e.g. Megan & TAF Sundance, Drink 'n Wet Babies, Rainbow Babies).

Among all this amazing stuff, I also noticed the card artwork for the Pony Friends include the unreleased human companion dolls. I want to see this artwork so bad!!

Offline Terra

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd150/Longeared/
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 10:08:57 AM »
Wow, this is really interesting stuff! The furbobs are really cute.
I'm pretty curious about what the plan might have been for the "yarn" ponies. Was this intended as a line of plush ponies?

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2016, 03:40:42 PM »
Among all this amazing stuff, I also noticed the card artwork for the Pony Friends include the unreleased human companion dolls. I want to see this artwork so bad!!

!!! I didn't notice this!! aaaaahh I want to see the full version so much ;__; I've always loved those prototype dolls.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal