collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When do you sell a rare pony you're not attached to?  (Read 2990 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Re: When do you sell a rare pony you're not attached to?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 09:49:35 AM »
I have some rarer ones too. I doubt I would sell any of them. I would rather sell off my other items before I would even consider ponies. I also agree with the others. Keep the pony with you for awhile and it may be easier to grow and attachment to them. I regret getting rid of my childhood ponies and I cant get them back. I only have two now. :/ Unless people really need the money I would say don't sell any of them.

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 10:07:30 AM »
Spend some time with each pony to ensure you really aren't clicking (or just decide if you're, say, a blue unicorn collector or something) and then make a decision. I'm not sure about you, but I only have so much space. I have to pick which ponies I buy (and keep) very carefully. Since these seem to be rare / unique ponies, trying to find homes with people who desperately want them (for a reasonable price) or trading them for ponies you desperately want may also be smart decisions.

If you are concerned about pony value like it's a stock market, hang on to them. Rare g1s likely still have a ways to go for a price increase. I wouldn't sit forever (if you are totally sure you want to sell) though. These are important because they are our generation of ponies. There is no guarantee they will act like a normal antique and be worth triple or quad what they are now when we're old 'n wrinkly.

I'd say the bottom line is to listen to both your heart and your gut. You know what you like and you know how you feel. Good luck!

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 11:59:12 AM »
I try pretty much the opposite of what Daffodil suggested, take it out of sight, away from the collection. Box it away somewhere safe and try to see/feel if you miss it at all. If not then let it go! :)
I box my questionable collectables up so theyre ready to ship off if I decide to sell them, and just dont tape them in. Leave them in the closet for a few weeks and almost always wind up listing them! Im sort of a compulsive buyer though, so I need turnover to make space on my shelves and in my wallet
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »
I'm not a hoarder. If it's not a favorite it goes up for sale.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 08:55:08 PM »
Thank you all so much for your advice! I'm deliberating between displaying them more prominently or hiding them away :lol:, and then seeing how I feel about them. I definitely don't want to make a snap decision on this . . .

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 05:27:00 AM »
I say use them to trade for ponies you really want. I've been debating the same thing because I have a HTF nirvana I came across accidentally. I have no reason to keep her but there are other ponies in her similar price range that I do want.

Offline DashyMomma

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »
(bluerose - I sent you a PM)

I agree with putting the pony away and seeing if you miss it. 
See if "out of sight, out of mind" begins to apply.  Then think of the pretty ponies that have stolen your heart that you COULD buy with the funds   :frolic:
-DashyMomma
--Avatar ID?? I want to give credit to the artist. If you recognize the Avatar image/ know the artist, please PM me. thx everypony!!!
--Wish list: TAF baby Sweet Tooth, Spanish Milky Way, 7 Tales ponies and Jewellery Baby Ponies.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 02:30:43 PM »
me? about 5 minutes after i got them.
there are so few rare ponies i really like, i know if they stayed around too long they'd get customized, especially if they have a unique pose or sculpt. like the jewel babies.
so yeah. right away.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 03:42:10 PM »
I know I go through phases where I'll need to get a new pony and then eventually when its time to thin out my collection (space constraint). I'll think very carefully about each one and if I can part with them. I think its a good idea to take your time though. I would put it out of sight and see if you miss it. I know so far the ones I've sold I have not really missed (also no rare ponies though).
But at the end of the day if you collect ponies you love and enjoy, and you don't enjoy the ones you have, it may be time for them to go to a new home :) I always love selling ponies to people I know will cherish them ^^

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »
That's a hard question as it's different for everyone.  I'd pull the pony out and have it around you for a while.  Maybe on the dinner table, or near your laptop, or wherever you spend a lot of time.  Even at work if you have a workplace where that might be appropriate.  Give the pony a chance to really grow on you!  If you feel you love her a little bit more after having her near, then you'll know it's not the right time to part with her just yet.  And if, after a week you still don't feel any attachment, it's pretty safe to say you won't miss her, then you can go ahead and sell without regrets.

That's great advice, but its honestly up to you.

How rare are they?
Would they be difficult to get back in terms of money and searching?
 Do they have some sort of sentimental value like being given to you by someone?
Are you looking to downscale because of space?
Do you need extra dough? (don't we all?)

Those are all good questions to ask yourself

Th
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 04:50:09 PM »

If you are concerned about pony value like it's a stock market, hang on to them. Rare g1s likely still have a ways to go for a price increase. I wouldn't sit forever (if you are totally sure you want to sell) though. These are important because they are our generation of ponies. There is no guarantee they will act like a normal antique and be worth triple or quad what they are now when we're old 'n wrinkly.

I've considered this as well, I think it's good advice. They have high nostalgia value now but for how long? I have spent my spare cash on them for a couple of years and they give me a lot of pleasure, but I know I could sell them if need be, if not on here then evil bay.  I'll keep mine for a while unless I need money, in which case I'll sell.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 03:56:50 AM »
I try pretty much the opposite of what Daffodil suggested, take it out of sight, away from the collection. Box it away somewhere safe and try to see/feel if you miss it at all. If not then let it go! :)
I box my questionable collectables up so theyre ready to ship off if I decide to sell them, and just dont tape them in. Leave them in the closet for a few weeks and almost always wind up listing them! Im sort of a compulsive buyer though, so I need turnover to make space on my shelves and in my wallet
I do the 'pack it away and see if I miss it' thing too. Except I'm not a compulsive buyer; I'm more of a compulsive organizer :P If I don't feel I'm enjoying something enough to keep it, it goes. With ponies I'm constantly "perfecting" my collection. Ponies that no longer fit the parameters (both physical space and self imposed goals) of my collection get sold. I've sold some very rare g4s and no regrets so far. Maybe thinking of what you want your pony collection to be long term and ask yourself if those rare ones really have a place there. If you're not actively enjoying them it kinda defeats the purpose of collecting imo.

Offline ladybastilla

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 11:01:49 PM »
One thing I am learning is that as I grow as a collector, my focus and my goals are constantly shifting and changing. When I started out I got into pony collecting because of Friendship is Magic. Yet here and now my interest in g4 is generally dwarfed by my interest in g1 and g3. I just prefer their designs and form factors. (I have poor vision and those ponies are bigger.) I bought a lot of plushies at the beginning but I don't think I'm going to be a big pony plush collector. I started out with a Rarity and Fluttershy army, but my focus in that regard may eventually change or disappear completely. (Army ponies and space don't always mix well.)

I know that for me, keeping a pony out of sight will lessen my likelihood of bonding with it. Having it near me and in plain sight tends to do the opposite. I'm not overly big on g4 ponies that don't have a real role in FiM normally, yet one of my favorite ponies is Honey Rays. Why? Because with her glittery wings I couldn't easily store her until my shelves are fixed, so she's been hanging out on my dresser since late February and I see her every. single. day. It doesn't hurt that I love her colors, but the point still remains that she's an unusual choice for me, looking back.

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 07:02:45 AM »
If I need the money, I sell them. If I'm okay money-wise, I save them to trade for something or a couple somethings I
might really be after.

That's how I am thinking too. And you don't have to feel selfish. You have no obligation to providing others collections. It's not like you are withholding food from people who are strarving or so. ; )

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
Personally, if I think I can sell something without too much heartache- I do, because space is a commodity!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal