collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 206809 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Anime?
« Reply #1410 on: May 31, 2023, 02:52:41 AM »
I saw Yuri on Ice but I don't really understand why it was so hyped. Genuinely. I have no problem with the BL undertones. I just don't think it was that good *lol*

I won't watch YLIA because I don't need to be made to cry by stuff. I know it's very highly rated though. I DID watch Promised Neverland, only the first series though. It's so twisty and so clever, I need to go back and watch season 2. And I need to rewatch Moriarty the Patriot, although really I should just get back to reading the manga as the anime is missing a lot and goes on after. I'm just lazy. Sigh. XD.

I'm still rewatching Daiya, onto season 3 again and it is making me think of the as yet unanimated stuff. One scene in particular I *really* want to see animated, but who knows if I will...

Actual spoiler here for the manga but
Spoiler
The end of the Seidou Inajitsu game has a great interaction between Miyuki and Mei and I want to hear the seiyuu voice it as well as seeing it in colour/motion. It's very moving.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 31, 2023, 03:36:11 PM »

My only real complaint is that the case it comes in is horrible, it doesn't have enough space for both discs?? One of them just loosely slides in behind the other. This is the first DVD/BD combo set I've bought (yeah, I know, I'm old), is this sort of box design standard for them? :s

None of my DVD/Blu Ray sets so far have been like that.  There's always been plenty of room for all of the discs although a few have had them slightly stacked on top of each other where you have to take Disc 1 out to get Disc 2. 

There's a new trailer for Sailor Moon Eternal Cosmos featuring The Three Lights/Sailor Starlights. I'm putting  t in in a spoiler because it does give some important information away about them if you're not familiar with the SM manga. 

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql5fQ67PZOg

I haven't read the Stars arc of the manga.  Are the Three Lights supposed to be brothers  when they're in their human disguises?   

There's going to be a second season of Spy Family.

I think Your Lie in April is on my watchlist, but there's a lot of series that I put on there that I haven't gotten to yet.  I'm also thinking of starting Backflip.

I hope Daiya gets another season. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 31, 2023, 04:17:08 PM »

There's a new trailer for Sailor Moon Eternal Cosmos featuring The Three Lights/Sailor Starlights. I'm putting  t in in a spoiler because it does give some important information away about them if you're not familiar with the SM manga. 

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql5fQ67PZOg

I haven't read the Stars arc of the manga.  Are the Three Lights supposed to be brothers  when they're in their human disguises?   

Ponyfan

I haven't read the manga but I did watch the original Sailor Stars season of the 90s cartoon.
Spoiler
I think in the original cartoon they were brothers but they genderbend when they transform so that might be why that season wasn't released in the US until recently, with the redubbing of the show.

What I want to know is if they're going to continue dubbing the Sailor Moon Crystal series.  They stopped after Season 3 (at least, I haven't seen a Season 4) and if it follows the original series then Cosmos would coincide with Season 5 (Sailor Stars).  Or is it "skipping" because they've cut out all the fluff and Cosmos will be Season 4? 

I know some people don't care about dubbing but I don't know Japanese so if I watch a show that isn't dubbed I can't do anything else because I have to read the subtitles.  Sometimes I just like to listen to the show.  Right now, I'm re-listening to Ultimate Otaku Teacher.  :)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: May 31, 2023, 04:36:56 PM »
(Re: Sailor Moon)

Spoiler
In the manga the Starlights/Three Lights were crossdressing women, in the original anime they changed them to genderbenders. Are they back to being crossdressers in Eternal?
(Haven't watched the trailer yet since I'm just about to head off to bed, sorry if that answers it ^^;)

I don't remember them being brothers in the manga, but I'll admit it's been a good while since I've read it. I just checked Wikimoon and that doesn't say anything about them being brothers. Might be new?

Pokey - There isn't a fourth season of Crystal, they made two movies (Sailor Moon Eternal) instead. Then the Cosmos movie is essentially taking the place of a fifth season :) No idea if Eternal has been dubbed though.

My only real complaint is that the case it comes in is horrible, it doesn't have enough space for both discs?? One of them just loosely slides in behind the other. This is the first DVD/BD combo set I've bought (yeah, I know, I'm old), is this sort of box design standard for them? :s

None of my DVD/Blu Ray sets so far have been like that.  There's always been plenty of room for all of the discs although a few have had them slightly stacked on top of each other where you have to take Disc 1 out to get Disc 2. 

That's what I was anticipating the case would look like, the slight overlap, but no. :s There ARE slots for both discs but they overlap to the point where it's literally impossible to click both discs into place at the same time (if that makes sense). I have no idea why the heck they did it like this :/ It's so annoying cause the rest of the set is damn near perfect, this is the only real flaw (there's one or two other things I'd tweak if I could, but they're nitpicky), but it's a pretty big one :/

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: June 01, 2023, 07:03:51 AM »
The two Sailor Moon Eternal movies cover the Dead Moon/Pegasus arc. When they made the movies, they dropped Crystal from the name and went with Eternal.  They are dubbed. :) I remember watching them in English on Netflix.  I think you just have to change the language on Netflix from Japanese to English. 

Sailor Moon Three Lights/Starlights

Spoiler

I thought the trailer I posted yesterday showed the transformation sequences, but it doesn't.  :blush: 

This one does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQohquKq6TY

In the trailer, it looks like they're women crossdressing as men because when they transform it looks like their normal clothes go away and they're in their Sailor Starlights outfits.

That's really interesting if they are brothers in their human disguises.

Ponyfan

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: June 01, 2023, 10:50:34 AM »
I see.  That makes sense.  Eternal hasn't had a DVD release yet, has it?  I thought they might release it soon since they're releasing the original series on Blu-ray again.  I have limited access to Netflix, so I'll keep it in mind. (Basically I only get control of it when my parents are out of town, which isn't likely to happen again until September so I don't know when I'll get a chance to watch it.)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: June 01, 2023, 02:15:37 PM »
(Sailor Moon)
Spoiler
I watched the vids - yeah, I think they're back to crossdressers. I'd expect *some* sort of indication of genderswapping if that's what they were going with. That's nice, I never really understood why the original anime changed them to genderbenders.

I found Fruits Basket Prelude on DVD today for only £5.99 :frolic: I still haven't watched any of the new anime but I couldn't resist buying it (I know I'll buy it eventually, might as well get it when it's on sale :P).

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: June 02, 2023, 09:09:00 AM »
I keep hoping for a Blu Ray/DVD release of Eternal too.  My SM anime feels incomplete without it.

Carrehz, congrats on your find. :)  I have all of the new Fruit Basket series except for that one. 

Horimiya, the Missing Pieces will start next month.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 09:47:03 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: June 02, 2023, 04:35:51 PM »
I saw Yuri on Ice but I don't really understand why it was so hyped. Genuinely. I have no problem with the BL undertones. I just don't think it was that good *lol*
I'm re-watching it right now.   ^.^
The themes of confronting anxiety and self doubt, and challenging your self image in order to allow for personal growth really resonate with me. Plus there's a lot of detail in the character's actions and quirks that make so much sense once you learn more about their histories and I love that. I can totally get it not being someone's cup of tea but it's honestly one of my favorite anime. I think I've watched through it once a year at least since it aired.  :lol:
I'm holding out hope that the movie will eventually be completed and maybe a season 2 will get made.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 04:50:36 PM by Flitter »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: June 03, 2023, 10:44:23 AM »
I'm re-watching it right now.   ^.^
The themes of confronting anxiety and self doubt, and challenging your self image in order to allow for personal growth really resonate with me. Plus there's a lot of detail in the character's actions and quirks that make so much sense once you learn more about their histories and I love that. I can totally get it not being someone's cup of tea but it's honestly one of my favorite anime. I think I've watched through it once a year at least since it aired.  :lol:
I'm holding out hope that the movie will eventually be completed and maybe a season 2 will get made.

Yeah, I think it's a personal taste thing. Normally all those things are the things that hook me into an anime, but I was kind of disappointed by Yuri for some reason. I can't really explain why, it just didn't resonate for me somehow. I think I didn't feel/believe all of the characters enough, maybe.  Well, each to their own, right? :)

@Ponyfan - there are a lot of pieces of Horimiya missing in the anime adaptation :/ Are you saying they're going back to reanimate some of those? The style they used for that series was great, as were the voice artists, but it's sad that some things were omitted. Some of my favourite manga scenes like
Spoiler
the trip to Kyoto and the excuses to get out of swimming...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 10:46:42 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: June 06, 2023, 12:10:01 PM »

@Ponyfan - there are a lot of pieces of Horimiya missing in the anime adaptation :/ Are you saying they're going back to reanimate some of those? The style they used for that series was great, as were the voice artists, but it's sad that some things were omitted. Some of my favourite manga scenes like
Spoiler
the trip to Kyoto and the excuses to get out of swimming...

Yes. :)  The new series will include scenes that weren't in the first Horimiya anime. 

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: June 17, 2023, 03:17:02 PM »
I picked up the Spy Family part 1 season 1 Blu ray/DVD set this week.

I wish we'd hear something about the Free Final stroke movies being released outside of Japan along with Sailor Moon Cosmos.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: July 04, 2023, 08:08:39 AM »
Lately I've been rewatching Tiger & Bunny. I say rewatching, but I actually still need to properly finish the 2nd half of season 2.

I always enjoy this series, and little details are always so key to bigger things going on. For example
Spoiler
in the episode with Fire Emblem and Sky High, there's a moment of tension between Origami and Rock Bison which is referred back to in the next episode
. But most of all I just love the evolved teamwork/relationship/friendship/partnership between Kotetsu and Barnaby, from the awkward start to the point they are at now.
Spoiler
Barnaby's filling his house with plants and referring to them as his friends is also adorable LOL

There are so many awesome little moments that sums them both up, for example
Spoiler
in the first ep of season 2, when Barnaby is sulking with Kotetsu over finishing off his juice (very immature), yet still knows without words what Kotetsu expects him to do in a battle situation.
. The moment when
Spoiler
Yuri asks them both why they decided to remain as heroes, and Kotetsu excuses himself from the room so Barnaby can speak privately without him overhearing.
There's also the fact that
Spoiler
despite Barnaby's insecurities in season 1 over Kotetsu's motives, when Ryan is trying to convince him Kotetsu is trying to break up their partnership, Barnaby sticks firm to his belief.

It's just a great series for character moments, even while it's massively spoofing the superhero concept and weaving in some really dark and unpleasant twisty stuff as well. It helps that Morita Masakazu and Hirata Hiroaki are both amazing seiyuu supported by a pretty decent cast, too.

But yeah. I was surprised when they decided to make a new season after 11 or so years but so glad they did.

Although I do wonder
Spoiler
what happened to the president, since he seems to have been replaced in all hero related decision things by Yuri (not that I mind, Yuri is more interesting, but still).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 12:59:56 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: July 04, 2023, 04:13:25 PM »
Tiger and Bunny is still on my watchlist.  Hopefully, I'll be able get started on it soon. :D

I saw a post on Facebook that the Free characters are being used in a collaboration with a Japanese company, but I have no idea what the products are or what type of products the company sells.

Ponyfan

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: July 05, 2023, 04:06:27 PM »
RightStuf's birthday sale is going on this month.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal