collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 206742 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #585 on: July 30, 2019, 07:05:43 PM »
I love seeing your Di Gi Charat collection updates ^___^ I've never seen the show (LOVE the art/character designs though) but I'm really enjoying seeing your collection grow :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #586 on: July 30, 2019, 07:22:36 PM »
I love seeing your Di Gi Charat collection updates ^___^ I've never seen the show (LOVE the art/character designs though) but I'm really enjoying seeing your collection grow :)

There is some up on YouTube if you ever wanna check it out! It's just cute and silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8PYCwgf8os

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 31, 2019, 06:40:04 AM »
The internet has been sl sloooow here lately, again.
I guess thats what happens when a billion people all go online at once.  :pout: :pout:

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #588 on: August 01, 2019, 05:52:47 AM »
Educating people that Japan and China do not have identical histories is tiring work.

I get so fed up when people say that Haruka is basically the same as Fushigi Yuugi when a: it isn't, b: it's set in Japan, not China, c: it's probably more accurate in terms of the use of Genbu etc, but it doesn;t use them in the same way because it uses them in terms of onmyoudou/yin yang and d: Japanese history is what I study, and I actually taught the history of both places last year, so having all that basically negated by people who think the whole of East Asia just copied China is irritating.

Yuugi and Haruka are both favourites of mine. I love them both and there are some themes that are broader traditional themes they both cover, but they're ultimately totally different and set in different places.

I'm waiting for someone to say Yona is like Fushigi Yuugi too, because it involves a girl and some dragons. Even though it's set in an ancient Korean context. And is nothing like Yuugi.

Bah.

These kinds of idiot moments remind me of the time a section of the the English language Bleach fanbase kicked off and started having fits the first time they saw a raw manga page with the word Bankai written on it  and totally misread the ban character for something completely different.

I just feel like saying to those people, if you're going to be in a fandom, at least try not to be completely culturally ignorant...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 01, 2019, 10:33:38 AM »
Educating people that Japan and China do not have identical histories is tiring work

The people here HATE Japan. They would riot if they knew westerns thought that. Yet, when I went to Okinawa for the Chinese New Year, my tours had more people speaking Mandarin than Japanese. I was the only Westerner though.

When I want to piss off the locals, I tell them how much I would rather be in Japan than China.  :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 10:38:09 AM by tikibirds »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 01, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »

I'm waiting for someone to say Yona is like Fushigi Yuugi too, because it involves a girl and some dragons. Even though it's set in an ancient Korean context. And is nothing like Yuugi.

I saw someone say that on Facebook a couple of days ago when I was looking at an advertisement for the Yona manga. :(  I haven't read Yuugi but I don't think that just because some manga series might share similar elements someone can claim they are alike. 

I think Yona is a unique series.  :)

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:18:47 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 01, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »
Thanks to the references earlier in the thread I've been rewatching Koruda (Corda D'Oro) 3.

I am fond of this anime even if I do watch it with mad seiyuu event incidents in mind...such as Miyano Mamoru accidentally collapsing his mic stand mid-drama, and the adlibs that come from getting a bunch of slightly crazy people together on the same stage.

Each time I watch it I become more fond of Hozumi and of Kyouya. I think they were always the two that stood out to me from the outset, although it keeps reminding me I never did finish playing the game. The problem with game-to-anime/manga is that often the game has stuff in that the anime doesn't reference, because there's an assumption the audience already knows it anyway.

I watched La Corda d'Oro 3 as it was airing but never much got into it and its characters. I enjoyed the first series, its characters and even had my own pairing (HinoxHihara).

Now that I think of it, it's been a decade since I watched the original. I need to rewatch it.

Also, I agree about the video game to anime adaptations leaving out a heck of a lot. I've never been able to play any of the La Corda d'Oro games, but when you bring that point up it makes me think of Ace Attorney. I think so much charm of that series was lost in adapting it to anime. Perhaps it's because I enjoyed all of the interactions, very much including the ones that didn't move the story forward and thus weren't included in the anime (like pressing witnesses in court on issues that aren't what move the case forward, all of the little interactions with your partners when you investigate, and interactions with characters while investigating, etc.). Naturally, a lot of that was lost in the anime adaptation, and it just feels very incomplete to me.

|My Collection|

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 01, 2019, 01:44:37 PM »
Educating people that Japan and China do not have identical histories is tiring work

The people here HATE Japan. They would riot if they knew westerns thought that. Yet, when I went to Okinawa for the Chinese New Year, my tours had more people speaking Mandarin than Japanese. I was the only Westerner though.

When I want to piss off the locals, I tell them how much I would rather be in Japan than China.  :P

Yeah, there are good reasons for that.

Okinawa also traditionally had more Chinese links as well when it was still the Ryukyus.

@Ponyfan - there's zero similarity between Yona and Yuugi except that there's a girl, and there is a blue dragon among her dragons. That's about as much as you can link them. With Haruka, especially the first one, there's also a lot of difference.

(Elaboration in spoiler tags)
Spoiler
In Yuugi, the main character, Miaka, is sucked into a book on Ancient China, which is also a sacrificial spell to the God of whichever kingdom. Miaka appears in Kounan, the south Kingdom, and the deity there is Suzaku, the red bird. The story is basically about her finding the star warriors of Suzaku to prevent the death of the kingdom at the hands of the enemy in the East, Kutou, who have also 'found' their priestess (of the Blue Dragon, Seiryuu), and are building an enemy force to invade and destroy Kounan by massing the warriors of Seiryuu. And that's basically Yuugi. Aside the nauseating love story across time, space, and the Japanese National Library.

Haruka overall has six different storylines in different eras. Haruka began as a game series, so the main character in each of these is the player in the game.

The similarites between Haruka 1 (usually, sometimes it spreads to 2 as well) is mainly that the four Gods that appear in Yuugi also appear in Haruka (in a different context), and that there's a priestess at the core of both stories.

Haruka 1 also gets compared to Inuyasha because in the first series the main character is sucked down an abandoned well, like Kagome in Inuyasha.

Both the four Gods and the well story are old traditional stories so not invented by either franchise. In the case of the four Gods in Yuugi, they're used in a stellar sense and connected to constellations. Each country has seven warriors who associate to seven constellations and the creatures or ideas that those constellations put forth.

In Haruka, the four Gods are in the Yin Yang context, divided into warriors of heaven and earth, two for each deity. One of the main characters is a practitioner of YinYang and purifying demon spirits using this magic is a big part of the plot. In Japanese tradition and history, the city of Kyoto was protected by these four deities (Byakko, Suzaku, Seiryuu and Genbu) which is why they're used in the story. It's got nothing to do with Yuugi at all.

In the later Haruka stories you get real historical figures who are tied into the wider plot. The best one is 3, and the producers seem to think so as well, as they keep rereleasing versions of the game even as late as this. Haruka 1 happened in 2000, I think Haruka 3 first happened in around 2005 and the most recent release was 2017 for a game around the characters from 3? One day I will write an academic piece on how that represents history, as that's the time period I study - but that's beside the point. Because Haruka is a much bigger franchise with six games spanning what, almost 20 years now, and thus six casts, and six completely different eras...it's ridiculous to compare any of it to yuugi just because they use the same four gods and there happens to be a priestess involved.

As for Yona, she has the battle stuff, I guess, against enemy invading nations. But it's really not at all like Yuugi.

Ironically, though, nobody compares Saiunkoku Monogatari to Yuugi (even though it is set in Ancient China, and there are the ancient sage beings who may or may not be lurking around the plot/court). I guess because the main character lives in an Ancient chinese country and isn't summoned there, and they don't have the four Gods. Not that I think Saiunkoku is remotely like Yuugi either, but given the broad strokes of people's assumptions, I'm amazed it's not been connected as well.
@Harmonie - I didn't get into Koruda 3 until I played the first game, actually. I think that was some time before the animation happened, though. Unlike the Haruka games, where you can build on stuff, the Koruda ones require start from scratch for every character so it gets a bit tedious. But I have a weird sense of humour and neoroma is full of stupid things because it's reverse harem based and I find that hilarious. At the time I was part of an LJ community around neoroma and I ended up writing the adventures of my heroine in trying to chat up all the guys and her progress. In the end the ridiculousness of some of the conversations and the timing of them got me and I grew to love them. Originally I didn't want Koruda 3 to happen, but I'm fine with it now.

The live events and the fact that most of the voice artists connected to Koruda and Haruka are slightly insane helps, because they clearly have a similar sense of humour about it as I do, and so do the live drama script writers.

The original Koruda is probably better, but not all the manga was animated. Same is true of Haruka 1, where the best volumes (12/13) aren't animated :'(. The end of the Hachiyoushou Haruka animation is basically not at all like the manga, and while it's fine, it still bugs me that it's wrong.

I totally support Hino x Hihara as a pairing :D In the manga they made decisions for the main characters of both Haruka and Koruda. I was 100% on board with the Haruka choice, I didn't really have such strong feelings over Koruda's pairing, so it didn't bother me how they ended it. I do love Hihara and Yunoki, though. Yunoki is my favourite but I don't ever see his pairing with Hino as being that kind of attachment, so Hihara x Hino works well for me too. It is sad Yunoki isn't in the animation for 3. He's mentioned in the game, I think Hihara talks about him coming to watch the concours or being involved somehow, but not in the anime :/

Ah dear. My neoroma fangirl is awakened. I may need to rewatch some more stuff. Only CR doesn't have Haruka :/ Only Koruda and Neoangelique, which is fine, except Nyx is addicted to tea and Hyuuga needs to stop taking his clothes off.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 02:19:38 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 01, 2019, 02:03:35 PM »

@Ponyfan - there's zero similarity between Yona and Yuugi except that there's a girl, and there is a blue dragon among her dragons. That's about as much as you can link them. With Haruka, especially the first one, there's also a lot of difference.

(Elaboration in spoiler tags)
Spoiler
In Yuugi, the main character, Miaka, is sucked into a book on Ancient China, which is also a sacrificial spell to the God of whichever kingdom. Miaka appears in Kounan, the south Kingdom, and the deity there is Suzaku, the red bird. The story is basically about her finding the star warriors of Suzaku to prevent the death of the kingdom at the hands of the enemy in the East, Kutou, who have also 'found' their priestess (of the Blue Dragon, Seiryuu), and are building an enemy force to invade and destroy Kounan by massing the warriors of Seiryuu. And that's basically Yuugi. Aside the nauseating love story across time, space, and the Japanese National Library.

Haruka overall has six different storylines in different eras. Haruka began as a game series, so the main character in each of these is the player in the game.

The similarites between Haruka 1 (usually, sometimes it spreads to 2 as well) is mainly that the four Gods that appear in Yuugi also appear in Haruka (in a different context), and that there's a priestess at the core of both stories.

Haruka 1 also gets compared to Inuyasha because in the first series the main character is sucked down an abandoned well, like Kagome in Inuyasha.

Both the four Gods and the well story are old traditional stories so not invented by either franchise. In the case of the four Gods in Yuugi, they're used in a stellar sense and connected to constellations. Each country has seven warriors who associate to seven constellations and the creatures or ideas that those constellations put forth.

In Haruka, the four Gods are in the Yin Yang context, divided into warriors of heaven and earth, two for each deity. One of the main characters is a practitioner of YinYang and purifying demon spirits using this magic is a big part of the plot. In Japanese tradition and history, the city of Kyoto was protected by these four deities (Byakko, Suzaku, Seiryuu and Genbu) which is why they're used in the story. It's got nothing to do with Yuugi at all.

In the later Haruka stories you get real historical figures who are tied into the wider plot. The best one is 3, and the producers seem to think so as well, as they keep rereleasing versions of the game even as late as this. Haruka 1 happened in 2000, I think Haruka 3 first happened in around 2005 and the most recent release was 2017 for a game around the characters from 3? One day I will write an academic piece on how that represents history, as that's the time period I study - but that's beside the point. Because Haruka is a much bigger franchise with six games spanning what, almost 20 years now, and thus six casts, and six completely different eras...it's ridiculous to compare any of it to yuugi just because they use the same four gods and there happens to be a priestess involved.

As for Yona, she has the battle stuff, I guess, against enemy invading nations. But it's really not at all like Yuugi.

Wow. That's nothing like Yona. I can't believe people say they are alike. 

Ponyfan

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 06, 2019, 06:35:17 AM »

Okinawa also traditionally had more Chinese links as well when it was still the Ryukyus.

At one point, after my trip to Okinawa, I had to submit a photo of myself for some promotional thing for the school.
I sent them 3 pictures and told them to choose. One you could tell I was in Shanghai, One was here and one was from a Chinese garden in Okinawa.
Guess which one they choose.  :shocked:

I need a new series to watch, nothing is really entertaining me this season..other then Demon Slayer, Boruto, My life reincarnated as a slime - all of which are continued from pervious seasons. And Fruits Basket.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #595 on: August 06, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »
Forgot to post these yesterday! After my shift yesterday I went to the post office to pick up my package so I wouldn't have to worry about potentially not being home for it today.

Spoiler

Chocola Selection 2006

Di Gi Charat Fantasy for Windows, came with some bonus items in addition to the actual game such as its soundtrack, a calendar, a trading card, and a strap.

Most of Di Gi Charat Nyo on DVD (missing the first volume) and the bonuses it came with.

CDs!

And finally trading cards. This is a set of cards with pictures of the voice actresses for Dejiko, Usada, and Puchiko. The last image shows the pile of unique cards on the left, compared to doubles that were included in the lot on the right.

And finally the display update.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 07, 2019, 07:23:50 PM »
Great pics Beatles. :)

I finally watched Howl's Moving Castle. It was okay but I don't think it's one I'm going to be rewatching a lot.

Ponyfan

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:56 AM »
I finally watched Howl's Moving Castle. It was okay but I don't think it's one I'm going to be rewatching a lot.

Yeah, that's how I feel about Howl, too (watched it for the first time around December, January). Not bad but not a favourite.

I looove Calcifer, though. So cute ^^

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 08, 2019, 02:02:00 PM »

Yeah, that's how I feel about Howl, too (watched it for the first time around December, January). Not bad but not a favourite.

I looove Calcifer, though. So cute ^^

I can't remember if I've seen Howl...but I've never really got into Ghibli. I like a couple but...yeah.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 08, 2019, 02:17:59 PM »
I’m glad I’m not the only that wasn’t impressed with Howl’s Moving Castle. There were a couple of scenes where the background music was more interesting to me than what was happening on the screen. I did like Calcifer and I think I liked Howl.

Spoiler
Although I thought him being so dramatic when he used the wrong potion on his hair was immature.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal