collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's your rehairing method?  (Read 515 times)

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
What's your rehairing method?
« on: August 06, 2015, 06:24:38 AM »
I'm just getting into doing some customs. Ironically, that's how I found the MLP community almost 13 years ago!

I'm rehairing my second custom and am not a fan of using a needle with the eye clipped off to push the plugs in. The eye kept breaking and sometimes the hairs would be broken off, leaving a pitiful amount actually in the hole.

So how do you guys do it? I've come up with a different way that is working so much better and I'll share it in a later post but wanted to ask how others do it first.
Thanks!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: What's your rehairing method?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:39:22 AM »
I use a rehairing tool mostly but if I need it to be durable or if I'm just rehairing and it's not a custom I use the needle and fishingline method.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 11:20:51 AM »
I use the tool (needle with eye clipped to push hair in)

questions:
what size needle are you using. the best size I've found is a gauge 24 embroidery needle
how much hair are you putting in at one time? dollyhair naturally falls into 1 plug size sections. add 1 at a time to the hole. you can usually add 2-4 per hole, just 1 at a time.
what gen pony are you rehairing? most g1 and g3 rehair pretty easy without issue. g2 and g4 are a harder plastic and can be harder on the needles. you can also use larger safety pins or needles to make the holes bigger before putting the hair in

note: sometimes I can use a single needle on several ponies before it breaks. sometimes I will go through 6+ needles on one pony if the batch is weak or the pony extra hard.
as for the hair breaking, I've had that happen a couple times - NOT with dollyhair ever, but other brands or types of hair

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:26:34 PM »
I used to use the needle and thread method until I split my finger and thumb! I now use the tool :) but I still go back to the needle and thread for some customs or restorations :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline daisyd

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Daisy's Crazy Crafts
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
Knot method, using a needle. I used to tie each plug in, using one length of hair per hole, tied in the middle so both ends of the hair were in the same hole, but it takes a lot of time. I eventually converted over to knots.
Thank you *wyvernchick* for my lovely avvie!

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:32:55 AM »
So finding that shoving hair in the holes with my home made rooting tool was not working well for me, I found some of my husbands floss threaders and tried that. They are plastic and have a needle like end on one side and a loop on the other to thread dental floss through bridgework. I can pull the hair through, tie my knot and pull the plug in place. The downside is that the straight part does get bendy after a bit but at a whopping $2 for 10 or so it's cheap to replace.  It's very much like the needle and fishing line method but one less step to do.

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline mlp_loving

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Follow me on Instagram @mlp_loving ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »
I would love to learn how to rehair. Does anyone know where I could find a video tutorial, or would someone be interested in making one?

Adoptables by SDS ♥

♥ MLP dedicated Instagram - @mlp_loving ♥

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »
Knot method, using a needle. I used to tie each plug in, using one length of hair per hole, tied in the middle so both ends of the hair were in the same hole, but it takes a lot of time. I eventually converted over to knots.

Me too.  I would eventually like to give my rehairs to my kids, and the knot method + Fabritac glue gives me reassurance that it's not going to fall out.

I cut my needles with sharp wire cutters - seems to retain the integrity of the points.
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 10:46:08 PM »
I have an OLD rehairing tool that was made by a member here, from like 10 years ago. I don't remember their name anymore though. It was Lady-something. It's wooden and has G3 ponies on it but the needle broke recently and the replacement needles I got from another member here are too long to fit into the hole. So if I HAD a tool that I could use, then I would be using that :P

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal