collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hair Styling Affecting Value?  (Read 945 times)

aerieberry

• Trade Count: (0)
Hair Styling Affecting Value?
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:47:53 PM »
Hi guys I have a little question for you pony pros today.

I was wondering how much styling a pony's hair might kill it's value (if at all). Obviously a poorly chopped 'hawk will significantly lower value, but I mean, trimming fried hair ends or curling Pinkie Pie's locks, or as I've been seeing most lately, flattening FS Shining Armor's mohawk. I can see how chipping Twilight Sparkle's hair short to be more show accurate, or such a thing might be bad as the hair can not be grown back, but in the case of curling/straightening, it may not be the exact same again, though there's no "damage" to the toy itself.

I wish I was braver to just do my pony's hair like I want, but unfortunately their monetary value still bothers me!

Let me know your thoughts on this, and any pictures of hair-styled ponies (not customs!) in your collection!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:45:01 PM by hathorcat »

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: Hair Styling Affecting Value?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
I'll be honest, I don't mind a person curling a ponies hair but when someone chops a ponies hair, I would only buy it as a rescue on the cheap. Otherwise I'd much rather have a pony in its original state.

I also notice people mistake factory curl for 'frizz' as though anything not straight is bad. Am I the only one who noticed this?

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
I'm certainly not a "pro", but I think it depends on the pony.

If we're talking about G1s, yeah, for the most part, any altering of the hair that can't be undone is going to hurt it's value, whether that's removing factory curl, cutting, etc. Curling shouldn't matter, and defrizzing/fixing damage/trimming already cut hair to make it neater will probably help it's value.

I assume you're talking about G4 though...that's harder to say I think. To my knowledge, there's no factory curl to worry about, so the only thing that might matter is cutting hair. I think there are a lot of collectors who want show-accurate hair, so I would think if it looks good, it wouldn't hurt it's value too much, if at all. At the same time, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would only want original length. Maybe either is fine value wise? I'm a little curious about this too.

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »
I assume you're talking about G4 though...that's harder to say I think. To my knowledge, there's no factory curl to worry about, so the only thing that might matter is cutting hair. I think there are a lot of collectors who want show-accurate hair, so I would think if it looks good, it wouldn't hurt it's value too much, if at all. At the same time, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would only want original length. Maybe either is fine value wise? I'm a little curious about this too.

There was a thread a while ago regarding this. Elisto is right, some are willing to pay more for show-accurate hair; others prefer the original length. I think it really depends on the buyer's preferences (and how well the hairstyle is done). :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:56:41 PM by Cadence »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »
I think show accurate hair might increase the value a bit. Someone may want a Twilight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash with hair like the show, but don't know how or are too scared to cut and style it themselves. Therefore they might pay a little more for show accurate hair. In the long run, I don't see G4s becoming as rare or sought after as G1s simply because there are sooooo many of them and lots and lots of collectors. There are probably 10 million Pinkie Pie's in existence! :P However, there are other ponies that are harder to find that I would not cut their hair such as Sweetie Swirl, Star Dreams, the UK exclusives. They are hard to find for a lot of people and they would be worth more in the long run if their hair is uncut. Styling is fine I think :) Ponies look so much prettier with styled hair rather than right-out-of-the-box look ;)
My Wish List

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
depends what you mean by trim.  If you are only trimming up those weird long bits that sometimes occur, then it's fine.  If you're actually taking length off then that's another story.  Generally collectors like their ponies as close to original as possible.  Giving the pony curls is ok.  Some people even prefer it, but don't use product in the ponies hair as that can ruin it. 

The new brony thing may be different though.  Currently bronies seem to like show accurate hair cuts, so if you were to do that, you may even be able to sell for a little bit more.  But that may be a long term loss in value, as like I said, actual collectors like genuine original products.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
Personally, I do not buy ponies with trims unless I intend to rehair them. I like the ponies to be as close to original as possible. Trims devalue the pony alot for me.

But if it is a Nirvana pony, then I am more likely to buy one with a trim :)

Now if the pony is styled but not trimmed at all, then I don't mind that at all as long as there are no products in her hair (hairspray and such).
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

majikarte

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
With the G4s, at least the mane six, they're so common, so it doesn't really matter. Regardless of what happens, I don't think G4 Rainbow Dash will ever become rare. With some of the other ponies, like exclusives or the ones that have become a little rarer (Wave 3 seems like it's getting harder to find?) it might not be as good an idea, but they're your ponies. (and with the exception of Blossomforth and the SDCC FS, none of those ponies have show counterparts.)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
If a pony has nice hair style that is well executed (this includes short hair cuts), I am more likely to buy it.

Hair styling to me means that it's... styled. Not like a child took a scissors to it.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

aerieberry

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »
All of your inputs are wonderful! Thank you all for your brilliant insight.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 09:34:30 PM »
If it helps, when it comes to G4s I'd actually pay someone a sum more for hair that is cut and styled to look like they are in the show. I'd love for someone to make me a set but I can't spend that much money right now.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
Hmmmm, styled as long as the hair is not cut probably wouldn't matter to me. Thing is I clean and go all crazy trying to sterilize all ponies. Pretty hair wouldn't matter to me since in the end I would be redoing it myself. ^.^
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
With the G4s, at least the mane six, they're so common, so it doesn't really matter. Regardless of what happens, I don't think G4 Rainbow Dash will ever become rare. With some of the other ponies, like exclusives or the ones that have become a little rarer (Wave 3 seems like it's getting harder to find?) it might not be as good an idea, but they're your ponies. (and with the exception of Blossomforth and the SDCC FS, none of those ponies have show counterparts.)
Ahen, Lyra, Trixie, Cherry Berry, Sunny rays, Cheerilee, the CMC all have show counterparts.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

TwilightTrixie

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 01:02:05 AM »
Ahen, Lyra, Trixie, Cherry Berry, Sunny rays, Cheerilee, the CMC all have show counterparts.

So does Twinkleshine, though she's a slightly different color in the show. :)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 02:31:47 AM »
I also notice people mistake factory curl for 'frizz' as though anything not straight is bad. Am I the only one who noticed this?

I notice this so much with certain doll collectors.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal