collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to find a spay/release program for cats in your area?  (Read 639 times)

January Joy

• Trade Count: (0)
How to find a spay/release program for cats in your area?
« on: June 16, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »
I have seen several people mention that they have spay/release programs for cats in their area, so maybe someone with more expertise can help...I have done a bit of Googling, but the only results I get are for New York City, which is over two hours away from where the cats are, and for Huntington, NY, which is about the same distance away.

Basically, here is my story. About two years ago, a female calico cat showed up at my dad's house. His fiance started feeding her, so she's stuck around long enough to have three litters. Only two of her offspring still come around, not including the 4-5 week old kittens she just had, but both of these two are females. They are not what I would consider feral - You can get near them and feed them and even sit close to them, but only one will let you touch her.

I'm pretty sure I could catch and keep the friendly one - I just have to get a cage. However, I'm concerned about the others, as we've all come to care about these kitties - we'd much rather see them in homes if possible (there are coyotes, most of all, but also traffic) but we also don't want their population getting out of control either.

We have tried calling the local SPCA. We were basically given an attitude that "they have too much to worry about already", but they said they would send someone out with cages within three days. Nobody called, and nobody came. I'm not sure if we should try again and pester them, or try finding another place. I am told that these places for free spay/neuter of ferals exist, but I don't know how to find one close to me.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
Re: How to find a spay/release program for cats in your area?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »
You might call the Humane Society, whatever the nearest one is, and ask them for help.  I imagine they could tell you if there are any places near you where you could either bring cats to them or have them come.  Good for you wanting to do this!  And good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 10:21:22 PM »
Where exactly are you located? I'd love to help you search.

January Joy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »
I'm in NJ, but my dad's house (where they have made their "home") is in zip code 12540 in New York. Thank you sooo much!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 08:12:06 AM »
I would try calling your local shelters and rescues. They would know if the TNR program is available near you.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »
Try actually going ot your SPCA in person. Its much more different then talking to someone on the phone.

The other thing you can do is go into a few local pet supply shops. If they are owned by independant people theres a good chance someone will know about something and will want to help you outwith it.  Its through one of these where I found out about a local thing where people will look after small dogs until they find new homes :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »
I asked local vets and such, and also google searched "pet spay/neuter release "insert your city/state here"" and "Trap neuter release (TNR) program "your city/state".

One of the local clinics had an actual printout list of all the TRN and pet clinics on Long Island NY with info on how to reach them all.  It was cool.

*edit* I actually JUST went through that.  A friend of mine had a semi-feral momma cat who has had 2 litters.  The current litter has only 2 kittens.  We were able to rent a have-a-heart trap (ie cats get in they don't get out) and trap momma and both kittens.  Momma is at a local rescue center, she is being neutered and then will be re-released.  My husband and I took in both of the kittiens, but at 8 weeks old they are still very human-shy.  We have them in an isolation cage in their own room in our house.  We plan to tame them, and the clean/fix them and see how our grown cats cope with them.  If our cats accept them, we'll keep both kitties.  Otherwise, we will find them good homes.

I will say this was a LOT more complicated (and costly) then I thought it would be.  Momma cat has to have had no milk for 2 weeks before you can neuter her, so she has to be seperated from the babies AND kept away form other cats to prevent pregnancy.  Not to mention taming the babies.    This is my first experience with this, but my MIL does it all the time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:49:37 PM by Ponytails »
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:48:46 PM »
We found one near here through a local shelter.  There's also this website that may be able to provide some information: http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=191

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
Good links, Ponytails.  Maybe there will be someone that can help.  My local shelter (not affiliated with HS or ASPCA) often does mobile low-cost spay/neuter drives.  Maybe branch out to other shelters as well?

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal