collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what will happen to our ponies when we are no longer here?  (Read 3933 times)

Offline pinkaurora

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
what will happen to our ponies when we are no longer here?
« on: December 09, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »
Sad thought, I know, but I have been thinking about this . What will happen to my ponies when I am no longer alive? I am currently 30 years old , and have no children. I don't think my sister would want them as she has made fun of me at times about collecting. I also know, no one in my family would know the proper "value" of my lovelies , and I honestly worry what will happen to them when I am no longer here  :cry:. Has anyone else thought about this?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Anitas_Mom

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: what will happen to our ponies when we are no longer here?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
Well, I am a lot older than you, and I hope mine will find their way into another pony friendly family.  My husband and daughter both know how much I enjoy them and have a good enough idea of their worth to ensure they are not just destroyed.

Handmade Plushies For Sale | Please PM me for Commission Information

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
30 really isn't that old, unless you have some underlying health issue that will shorten your lifespan.  If it makes you feel better, I'm older than you are and don't have kids either.  Even if you don't have children now, maybe one day you will.  Maybe you'll adopt.  Or maybe you'll marry someone who has their own children.  Maybe you'll get a niece or nephew that shares your love of ponies.  Personally, I think it's a bit early to be worried about where your ponies are going to end up.  If it's really bugging you, though, maybe you should make a record of which ponies you have and what they're worth or maybe you could pick someplace for them to go (a charity or a friend) and make sure that someone close to you knows that's where they're supposed to end up if anything happens to you.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 05:46:36 PM »
I have no idea. I am childfree and prefer to remain that way. Both of my brothers are childfree and probably will remain that way too, so I won't have any nieces or nephews to leave them to..... so who knows. Some lucky person will get them and probably make a fortune off them.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 05:47:23 PM »
put them in your Will.   seriously.  not joking.

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »
My sister-in-law knows of my love for ponies, and she's a collector of things as well, so she understands value.  Personally, if I didn't have any kids of my own at the time, my collection would go to my sister-in-law for my niece and nephews.  She'd be able to judge which ponies should be display only and which the kids could play with. 

If you're worried about it, though, I recommend what others have suggested already - make an inventory of your collection (if you haven't made one already) and note whether there is a charity you'd like them to go to.  Of course, you could also donate them in general to someone along with the note of inventory and value for them to sell.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
I guess I have never really given it much thought. When we are gone the material things we leave behind wont mean anything to us anymore. I would put them in your will if you want them to go to a good place or not end up in the trash.  But this is a good topic to bring up for sure!

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 06:16:42 PM »
it stipulates in my will that my family is allowed to take a few of my personal possessions each up to 5 or something like that. then they are requested to hire someone to professionally sell everything. someone who knows the value of ponies, vintage toys, art and supplies etc. then all the money that is made is to be used to go on a vacation as a family.

i know if i don't do something like that. they will probably sell all my nirvanas at a garage sale for 50cents a piece....
yeah no. most of my purchases are investments. so i want someone who knows their prices, or is willing to do the research to sell them. and don't want the burden to fall to my family directly.
my customs, especially my oc stuff... that will be tricky. not sure how to deal with those. but i'm still trying to find a list of people that fit the description so they don't have to search for the person either.

anything they gave to me and want back won't be included in the 5. and my stuffed animal Rufus... must be taken in by someone. no closet or storage.... at least according to my will. but it all comes down to, once you're gone. they can do what ever they like. i just want the investments i made to help them when i'm gone.

my grandpa did that alot, when ever he bought toys for us, he'd buy a second one and put it in storage. after he passed away we found several boxes of mib scc, turtle, barbies and even a few ponies. still in the process of selling them all, and the money goes into the vacation fund.

so long story short- sell everything for what it's worth at the time and sent them on vacation.

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »
I'm 26 and three quarters, but in poor health, so I often joke that I'd make a will but all it would have is ponies and who cares for my cats.
I doubt my ponies would stay in the family, but I'm sure my parents would find someone else to handle it and hopefully (but not likely) take over my ideas for the museum. They know some of my ponies are super expensive, but they don't know which really.

Offline pinkaurora

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
My cousin lost his wife (who happened to be a good friend of mine) in May of this year. She would have turned 32 in July  :cry:. Loosing her,  made me think about a lot of stuff I probably wouldn't have other wise.  I would want my ponies to go to a good home and not in the trash. I have thought about logging my ponies, maybe on photobucket that way there are pictures and descriptions, and price points. I have thought about  including them in a will , stating I would like them to be sold to collectors (fingers crossed) and the money to go towards funeral costs. I never thought about trying to involve a professional toy collector to handle the actual selling off of my collection.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »
My ponies would go to my sister who is somewhat aware of the value on some of them. I told her she could sell them or give them to my collecting friends. Honestly though, I think she'd just hold onto them in memory of me. I know it would be hard for me to sell off my sister's doll collection if she died!
My Wish List

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
I've always wondered about this as well, and my family knows exactly what to do. I want them to keep my three favorites (Nachtlicht, Argie Truly and baby Splash) And sell the rest and but something nice for themselves.... whatever their version of "pony" is that makes them as happy as ponies do for me.
My brother for example would probably buy some camera equipment, and I know he'd think of me when he used it.

Ponies make ME happy, but for other people keeping someones big toy collection would probably be more of a burden.

I often think I might like to set aside a few ponies to give away to my pony friends or donate the proceeds to the Dog Pound... but who knows
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
My MOC collection makes it all a ridiculous amt of money and I told my mom/SO to sell them and kind of told them what they're worth so they know and get a good price for them.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »
Well, this is why im hoping to have a daughter in the far future. Im 23, but im my opinion im still way too young to be having kids, I dont even have a house yet. Hopefully through adoption or possibly by some awesome luck I can have my own and pass my ponies down! :D If not, im certain with 2 sisters and 2 sistets in law I will have a neice at least!  :blush: Right now my Hubby has split custody of them and is aware of their value.

If not, I would LOVE to have all of my ponies displayed in an MLP museum if one ever exists in the future! :D

I think it would be AWESOME if intelligent life in the future sees all these houses with our zillions of ponies and thought we idolized them as like a deity LOL.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:19:20 PM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline Saphraira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Shoo be doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 12:04:30 AM »
Willing them to someone or hopefully one of the boyfriends will be smart enough to sell them. Probably Joshua.
Looking for Surprise twins mommy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal