collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Having a bit of trouble...  (Read 1976 times)

lishe

• Trade Count: (0)
Having a bit of trouble...
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:56:49 AM »
I'm trying to start on my first ever custom and I've been really excited. Following all the tutorials and pictures online, I've successfully beheaded and dehaired ponies with little trouble.

But one simple step really eludes me- I just can't seem to cleanly wipe off my ponies' old symbols! I'm currently using nail polish remover, but it just ends up in smears, and then it gets to a point where it's this smeary cloud and I can't budge it further. I'm not sure where to get 100% Acetone either, my local hardware store doesn't seem to carry it.

I've also tried De-Solv-It and Goo Gone, which seem to be comparable to Goof Off, but these don't even seem to affect a symbol.

Is it my technique? My solvents? What? :( Help please! This is standing between me and my first attempt at a custom... *cries a river*

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Having a bit of trouble...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 07:04:08 AM »
Hi lishe!  100% acetone is the only thing that I have found that does the trick.  It can also be found in the beauty section of stores like Wal-Mart, Target (I don't know what stores you have in Singapore).  It is often used for working with acrylic/fake nails.  Maybe a beauty supply store would have it?  Good luck! :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

TechnoTealeaf

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:05:45 AM »
I've found 100% pure Acetone in the same aisle as nail polish and fake nails at my local walmart, try looking there. I got a large bottle for about $5 and it's going to last a long time. It doesn't take much of that stuff to clean up a pony!
Just to be safe though I always wash the bait with a little soapy water after "blanking" so that the acetone won't eat through the pony.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:24:22 AM »
You might be able to find some at a pharmacy/apothecary, if the hardware stores or beauty sections/stores fail you. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
I can't wait to see your customs!

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:53:36 AM »
Try 100% acetone or Goof Off.  Those are the only two things I've used that completely remove symbols and stuff.  Nail Polish will just smear it around and make a mess, and Goo Gone I believe is more for removing sticky things.  Good luck! :)
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline RobinHoodFan

• Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Avi by Me :)
    • View Profile
    • C. Riley Customs
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:28 PM »
i got my acetone in Rite Aid next to the nail polish remover....

it could be your technique too..you have to go slowly and remove small areas at a time..the more you smear it and thinner you smear it the easier it will be to stain the pony...think of it as wiping off a stain of somethin you just dropped on your shirt or carpet....you dont want to rub it around b/c you'll "push it in" and it will stain..instead, work alittle bit at the time.

the first time i did it, i used too much acetone on the eye and it dripped down the side of the face...when i wiped it, it left a stain like you describe....if you try to make a big smear to take it off, it will stain also...alittle at a time and wipe while you go...see if that works

lishe

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll go on an acetone search this weekend! *ponyhugs for all*

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
I gave up looking for some, an got mine from Ebay, from a nail/beauty type shop.
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline tehrin

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
Also, if you have issues with the smell of the Acetone, you can use Windsor and Newton brush cleaner/restorer. It takes the paint off easily, doesn't stink, won't irritate your skin (but does dry it out a little after awhile), and it works great for keeping your brushes clean. It does cost a bit more, but I really like using it. :)

Acetone is a lot stronger and works faster though, plus cheaper. But again, if you're sensitive to the fumes, or don't have open ventilation (working in the winter), the brush cleaner works great! Just a little more elbow grease is required to remove it all. n_n
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:44:27 PM by tehrin »

(also click for my sales here. :3)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal