Pony Talk > Off Topic

What manga are you reading?

<< < (3/137) > >>

Haruna:

--- Quote from: Taffeta on July 08, 2017, 07:43:36 AM ---You mean this one の? It is cute :D

--- End quote ---
Yes, that's the one! My favorite character, lol

--- Quote from: Taffeta on July 08, 2017, 07:43:36 AM ---I got roped into doing it basically because the fan scanlations of Bleach were being done  by a group who were simply rewriting bits and I was in a community of people who wanted to analyse every actual detail, not read a ton of swear words added in to juice up the fights.

--- End quote ---
I can sympathize; I really don't like it when translators take too many liberties and mess up the manga or anime. It happens way too often! In manga I never get to see the original wording (not that I could read it if I could), but in anime it's a pet peeve of mine. I can understand a bit of Japanese when I hear it, and my sister comprehends even more, so when we watch anime together in Japanese with subtitles, sometimes we look at each other and are like, "Wait, that character just said 'I won't forgive you,' right, not 'You *$%%#$*' " (to give an extreme example).

--- Quote from: Taffeta on July 08, 2017, 07:43:36 AM ---I taught my support advisor at university the horse kanji because she had to see my work so much (which relates to horses and representation of warriors). It's meant to be a horse turning it's head back. I dunno if I see it...

--- End quote ---
To me it kind of looks like a little square animal with five legs (four tiny ones and a curved front one) :biggrin:

Ponyfan:
Thanks everyone. Sailor Moon is my first experience reading manga and now I know the Beauty and the Beast tie in manga I saw looked backwards.  I'm reading the Sailor Moon manga that's translated in to English since I can't read Japanese.  Taffeta I think that's amazing that you can translate manga from Japanese. :)

Ponyfan

Taffeta:

--- Quote from: Haruna on July 08, 2017, 11:37:11 AM ---I can sympathize; I really don't like it when translators take too many liberties and mess up the manga or anime. It happens way too often! In manga I never get to see the original wording (not that I could read it if I could), but in anime it's a pet peeve of mine. I can understand a bit of Japanese when I hear it, and my sister comprehends even more, so when we watch anime together in Japanese with subtitles, sometimes we look at each other and are like, "Wait, that character just said 'I won't forgive you,' right, not 'You *$%%#$*' " (to give an extreme example).

--- End quote ---

That's why I don't read manga in English. I'm not a manga snob, I don't have any issue with people reading or buying manga in English, nor do I think that it's at all superior to read it in Japanese. I read it in Japanese only because I am a detail geek and these days, having seen what people do to the original manga (some scanlations get translated from Japanese into Chinese and then into English O.o) I became really suspicious of (especially unofficial fan) translations. Bleach was super-bad for this, though. I think a lot of less mainstream manga (and especially shoujo type manga) have better translations, but there was such a rush to get the Bleach chapters translated first that people either made mistakes or generalised and you'd find a character suddenly being related to his best friend or jumping divisions from 13 to 3. And those were just the people who weren't trying to make themselves epic by rewriting the dialogue with curse words and cringeworthy slang.

With Bleach, while it ran, I generally preferred the anime because even though there were scenes missing and filler arcs, the manga scenes that appeared were almost totally exact to the original dialogue in the manga, and I liked that. As you say, too, it gives you the chance to know if there's a mistake, as the original dialogue is there and most people who watch anime are familiar with enough Japanese to pick out stuff like you just said. Fans are smart and not easily fooled.

Official translations at least are less likely to insert gratuitous swearwords though I admit I still haven't forgiven the official translation of one of my pet manga series turning an onmyouji into a 'sorcerer' and the name Sefuru into "Sefle". So glad that the anime version never got dubbed, that's all I'm going to say.

@Ponyfan, manga is fine in any language. So long as the people translating do a good job, no reason why you shouldn't enjoy it in English and Sailor Moon is a classic xD though it does take some getting used to, reading from what we think of as the back to the front.

I totally think that, if you're going to go down the manga path, ones mentioned above such as Fruits Basket and Ouran Host Club are a lot of fun xD. Fruits Basket (some people also call it Furuba) is really lovely. Sad in places, but really lovely. And Ouran is funny and pokes fun at itself as well, which is nice. Although I have a feeling that's a really long manga, isn't it? Furuba is about 23 volumes or something, but I think Ouran is longer than that?

I was actually inspired to learn Japanese from a series called Fushigi Yuugi. It all had to do with a friend linking me a music video on youtube for one of Tasuki's songs in Japanese, and it got so stuck in my head that then I wanted to know the words.
Spoilerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hTbjR6rym0
if you are curiousSo I began watching the anime on youtube. And then one ep was in English and it sounded horrible after so many in Japanese. And the manga in English used Chinese names for things where the anime used the Japanese pronunciation, and it was confusing. So then I decided to learn Japanese (as you do >.>).

Yuugi was a bit brutal in places, and now the anime is pretty old really. But I really still have a super soft spot for it. It depends on how you feel about characters you like dying.

Ponyfan:
I finished Sailor Moon Volume 5 today and am looking at Honey So Sweet for my next manga series.

Ponyfan

shelvesofwhimsy:
I'm currently reading Volume 1 of Cardcaptor Sakura :) Right before that it was Kill La Kill Volumes 2 and 3 :D

I was also watching the Sakura anime, but took a break to branch out to learn about a few more shows before I go to Japan  ^.^

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version