collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Too big for Billy Bookcases: Displaying huge collections  (Read 679 times)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
Too big for Billy Bookcases: Displaying huge collections
« on: March 24, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
After 35 years of collecting ponies, I've amassed a really huge collection of all gens. I don't know how many, but it's got to be close to 2000 by now, plus plushes, merch, and other vintage toys.

I've been moving around a lot for the last 10 years trying to launch my career. I've finally landed a permanent salaried job and am happy to put down roots for a while in southeast Ohio.

My collection has mostly been boxed for many years, but I'm looking forward to finally displaying them in my new home. The last time I was able to display them all, they numbered around 600. One bedroom probably won't be enough to show so many toys now, ha ha! Wall space will be precious, which brings me to my problem.

I know most collectors recommend Billy bookcases from Ikea. They're cheap, look nice, and have glass doors to keep out the dust. But they're only about 11 or 12 inches deep, enough for about two rows of ponies per shelf, maybe three if you squeeze in some babies in front. And many playsets don't fit.

With so many ponies, I really need a system that can accomodate four rows of ponies per shelf, plus playsets. So I need something twice as deep as Billy, at least 20 inches, preferably 24.

I've read that Ikea recently started a new line of deeper Billy bookcases. But they're still only 15 inches deep; that's not going to cut it for me. I'm considering systems of customizable Ikea wardrobes or pantries. The Pax wardrobe system looks good, though it doesn't seem to come with glass doors.

I'm wondering if anyone else has found a good shelving system for huge collections. Any suggestions? I know I'm not the only one here with a giant collection.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 04:31:40 PM by kellyponyfeathers »
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
Re: Too big for Billy Bookcases: Displaying huge collections
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 12:47:20 PM »
I hope some people with really big collections help out.  I don't have a large collection but I live in a small space and know what you mean about limited wall space.  Some things I though of when reading your post is that even with a deeper shelf, when stacking the ponies so that you can see them most likely will mean a higher space between shelves so that you end up with fewer shelves and less ponies displayed.  One thing I've been toying with in my space is putting walls perpendicular to the walls.  If you had 2 back to back Billies and anchor them to each other and the wall, I'd think they'd be pretty secure.  Doing this is dependant on the size and shape of your new pony room.  They also have the corner systems for Billy, and while they do take up some room for the angles, they look great.  Just a thought.  Good luck with displaying your ponies finally, it must feel great.  I can't wait to see pictures of your final product.
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »
I don't know what combos they offer (frames that can include shelves, and door styles) but what I would look into is the PAX system. If I had a wider room, I would have gotten a few of those too. I do plan too for my office.

I believe the depth on them is somewhere around 22"

*edit*
Also check out some of the BESTA pieces.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:29:52 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 08:19:28 PM »
I actually just posted about my IKEA set up in another thread, I thought I would quote myself here in case it helps.

I don't have the lovely Billy shelves just yet, but I do use IKEA for my ponies. I have the longest LACK shelf which is just the right depth for the G4 castles or a stepping spice shelf to allow for a equal size step at the shelf level.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I also have the DETOLF cabinet. It's great foe 360 viewing.

Downside is that the shelves aren't covered by glass.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 04:20:57 AM »
The main question is do you want a way to display your collection that will hold the most possible ponies, even if they aren't displayed well and some are hidden, or do you want to display them as nice as possible, at the expense of space?

If you have the space for multiple cabinets, I used three full size Billy-type cabinets, one half size, one all glass cabinet for large playsets and two small stacking cube units.  This takes up a lot of space but I've got maybe 900 ponies, 100  mini ponies, 30 playsets and merchandise - and I'm pretty close to maximum capacity.  That's with four rows of ponies per shelf.  You definitely can fit four rows in a Billy but they won't all be visible.

My biggest tip is to use every cabinet surface as best you can.  If the sides of your cabinet aren't against a wall, use the side to display carded items on sticky hooks and stick any pony artwork you have to the sides.  When I still lived with my parents I would screw tiny hooks into the underside of my wall shelves and hang pegasus ponies from them with thread.  I also store large items on the top of my cabinets.  Basically, if it has somewhere to put something, it's got something on it.

Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »
My collection isn't huge, but my roommate and I are sharing a 15x9 foot room as our "Geek Cave".  That room is displaying my 700+ ponies and playsets, my strawberry shortcake collection (which is a lot bigger than what's pictured below), and her She-Ra/MOTUC collection (100 figures, beasts, and vehicles - including giant 2014 Castle Greyskull). We've got a combo of Billy, Kalax, and Gnedby shelving and Lack tables (plus a small built in that's in the closet).  It's important to both of us to be able to display our collections, and that's why we've picked out the furniture we have and arranged it as we have. The majority of the playsets do fit on the Billys, and with risers, you can easily get three-four rows of ponies on each shelf.  I even fit that giant new castle from last fall into the system we have now.

(There are two more kalax cubes as well as two small cheap bookshelves)

Maybe that will help give you some ideas?

Elf

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 03:41:58 PM »
Can you double stack Billy shelves? Like don't put the back piece on one and bracket them together?
I'd have concerns though with shelves of that depth that it'd be difficult to see ponies towards the back; Even with taller risers would they not seem boxed in?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal